Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ha Ha Ha

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭

UCD in 'top 200' universities for the first time

What a joke.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

How exactly do they rate them? And more importantly, do we really care where exactly we are in the top 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

I seem to recall it (the US News version) being worked out with a weighted formula combining easily determined numerical results like graduation rates, staff:student ratios, no. of highly accredited staff (like noble prize and other prize winners) down to masters/bachelors staff, percentage lecturers doing research, quality of those research publications, funding, facilities etc.. A certain percentage is also given to results of a peer-reviewed survey of reputation by faculty and staff of all universities that they know, and the faculty and research therein.

It's a useful resource for the first step in planning what Universities you should apply to, especially in the states - which is where my familiarity comes from. Essentially, common application wisdom when applying to graduate school is to use this to choose the realistic list of schools one could apply to, be it tier 1, 2 or 3.

I think Trinity and now, I guess, UCD are on the top 200. But this is pretty meaningless, as differences of ratings for closely rated colleges are pretty superficial. Furthermore, you really need to use the subcategories of, for instance, electrical engineering graduate schools. So in that case, Harvard, which rates as the top overall graduate school, doesn't even make the top 10. Based on that shortened, and different list, I could then go about researching the specific programs, faculty and research at each college.

Anyway, it'll be interesting what the UCD PR engine does with that.

Advertisement