Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting shooting

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

im thinking about getting into shooting and i was wondering if in purchasing a rifle would it be the type of rifle for example a cz452 compared to a aw or the calibre of the gun that would affect you getting a licence. also what would be the largest calibre rifle that you would be allowed to use on a range in ireland if anyone knows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

This topic was dealt with recently. Try clicking on the following link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54342474#post54342474

But very briefly, the things that might affect your application are,

Your Firearms Officer / Supers attitude towards firearms.
    Calibre will always raise eyebrows.
    The "idontlikethelookofthat" excuse.
    Club membership is a must.
    Security & safe-storage at home.
    Your own back ground, the list goes on and on

But, if you have a reasonible need for having that particular firearm and providing your back ground is good, there shouldn't be a problem.

Largest calibre allowed........again, it depends on your need for it and possibly all of the above.

I beleive that the Midlands are authorised to allow the use of all firearms that are Licenced / Certified by the Garda Siochana to shoot on their range, that could be anything from a .17 up to gods knows what.

More than likely you will have a lot of responce to your queiry......best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Slightly off topic I know, anyone using very large calibres in the country? Largest I've seen so far in private use is .375 Holland and Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

What in the name of jaysus does somebady shoot with a .375 Holland and Holland in Ireland? Or can firearms be licenced in this country for use in another country i.e. Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Aghhhh, the penny has droped, or in this case a dime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

dimebag249 wrote: »
    What in the name of jaysus does somebady shoot with a .375 Holland and Holland in Ireland?
    Dublin Zoo have at least one, for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Rovi wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo have at least one, for obvious reasons.
    Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭uptherebels

anyone have or know of someone who got a license for a gun chambered for .223 remingtons. thanks for the info so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

anyone have or know of someone who got a license for a gun chambered for .223 remingtons. thanks for the info so far
    Including myself and a bunch of others known to me personally, there are hundreds of .223 Rem rifles out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Ditto...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

dimebag249 wrote: »
    What in the name of jaysus does somebady shoot with a .375 Holland and Holland in Ireland? Or can firearms be licenced in this country for use in another country i.e. Africa?

those .375s are a must for the serious hunter for shooting rabbits,rats and of course the odd fox and ranges from 50 to 100 yrds:rolleyes:
    they,l never get away from that:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement