Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Music Magazines???

• 09-11-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Does anyone buy these? and if so which?
    I used to buy Rock Sound (specifically for the free cd and new music) but I got pissed off with their over use of the word "noiseniks" I mean c'mon! Thats not even a real word!!!

And the other half has been buying Kerrang since the late 80's. But I find their journalism patronising and cyclical. they seem to interview maybe 5 bands then spread the interviews over three week spreads! Annoying as hell! (But more annoying is the way they dont answer the letters in the mail page!)

So apart from being able to get any and all music news instantly online and not having the need to buy magazines anymore..I just wondered...who is still buying them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I buy Kerrang. For sure, might not be the most journalistic of magazines, but its much cheaper than some of the magazines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gave up buying the weeklies in 1990/91, Sounds, when it was a rock/metal paper was for teh win! ;)

At my age Mojo is proberly where its at but as I only buy a copy once in blue moon maybe its not.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Those magazines tend to push the new flavour of the month as opposed to trying to expose or give good journalistic reviews of many good bands out there, it depends on what you're into really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Mojo was the magazine for me for many years but once it shot up over the £4.00 mark that was it for me , but it was/is a very informitive mag specialy on the different geners of music through the decades .I stil have about 25 copys which i may sell on e-bay .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I used to buy Kerrang religiously for years. I don't bother with it any more. It's the UK's music version of a tabloid newspaper. Crap.

I buy Terrorizer now and again. I like the more extreme end of stuff. And most of the free "Fear Candy" cds are actually pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

I buy Classic rock every month and usually either Uncut/Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Mojo, which has been sh*t for years, classic rock and uncut have all had pretty good issues recently. The cover cds on the last two mojos are great, which is something I never thought I'd say. Got terrorizer when it had Geddy Lee on the cover and was pleasantly surprised. The prog spread was very good and well written. But for me the best music mag is Record Collector. Its news, articles and reviews are most comprehensive and constructive, they treat every genre with respect and they really know their stuff. Major articles are accompanied by pricing guides for related releases, which is great if your into that sort of thing. And every issue, despite the cover, which could be anyone from Kylie to Can, will have plenty of rock & metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I get Classic Rock every month, it covers old and new, and has a good review section.

I used to get Q every month too, but stopped two issues ago as I have found it to be very poor vfm. The articles are getting very repetitive, the reviews poor, and generally becoming a better packaged Smash Hits.

Kerrang or Metal Hammer I would pick up an odd time, if there was an interview or something that I knew of in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Before I had the internet I used to buy Kerrang weekly and Metal Hammer every month, but I found the former focused solely on the "falvour of the month" bands, and then dropped them when they weren't "cool" anymore. Not to mention, they very rarely featured any bands I liked and as someone already pointed out, the journalism is very tabloidy. Once I got connected to this great wide web they had no use for me, as I could get all the info I need for free. Anyway its incredibly difficult to read any music magazine which is entirely objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

kerrang does it for me, i buy AP if i can find it too but thats rare enough its a really comprehensive magazine full just about anything

• Advertisement

If you're looking for just reviews sight and sound is probably one of the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Used to buy Metal Hammer religiously when I was younger, but got pissed off when they gave St. Anger a great review and started featuring Lostprophets a few too many times.

Terrorizer is a great mag. I don't buy it religiously, but if stuck waiting, say, at an airport for a while, I would always go for it. Unfortunately, even though I like music that leans towards the underground, it covers way too many bands that I have no idea of. But their specials (e.g. thrash, prog) are always fantastic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I used to buy Classic Rock every month but haven't in a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Used to buy Kerrang! quite a lot...then moved on to Metal Hammer.

Now I really just buy either if there is a decent CD (which has also declined in the last while...)

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I used to buy Kerrang and Hot Press as a teenager but got sick of them both (and realised they were rubbish!). Stopped buying magazines for a while (aside from the odd "I'm stuck in an airport and bored" copy of Q or Uncut or whatever) but about 3-4 years ago started getting The Wire every month. It doesn't feature much metal and the metal it features tends to be of the underground/experimental variety but it is a fantastic source for finding new music (it's a slim chance that I even recognise the artist on the cover!). Usually well written, if a bit pretentious much of the time.

I also buy the odd issue of Terrorizer depending on the content, good magazine but I'm not always into it. I had a subscription to Rock'a'Roller after I saw the first issue and liked the cut of their jib. Unfortunately it quickly plummeted into a mess of terrible grammar, awful articles and hipster tendencies.

Aside from The Wire I just read online magazines like Stylus Magazine and Brainwashed (who I write reviews for so obviously I highly recommend any adventurous listener to give it a read) and scour message boards and blogs for new sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmojo

I buy Classic Rock religiously. Its the best by far IMO. Covers almost everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

ec18 wrote: »
    I buy Classic rock every month and usually either Uncut/Q

I saw Uncut have a Neil Young interview and a cd of covers this month. Is the cd any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Uncut or Q? My experience with those magazines have left me hunting for any musical information through a deluge of advertisement pages! Damn annoying!
    Kerrang is Toilet fodder at best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Terrorizer or Metal Hammer are what I would buy on occasion.
    But as has been said,they are very flavour of the month orientated.
    When the Darkness came out first they raved about them so since then Ive been quite selective of the issues I would buy.

fobster wrote: »
    I saw Uncut have a Neil Young interview and a cd of covers this month. Is the cd any use?

Didn't get that one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

Kerrang is crap half of it is posters of emo kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

I used to buy Classic Rock every month but haven't in a good while.

Same here, there was also a mag I bought that they sold in the UK for a while, but it went bankrupt. Cant remember the name of it now but it had a good few issues in 2004/5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I used to buy Kerrang! every week from about the ages of 13 to 16. I mean, every week. I even hoped to write for them when I left school. :D However, the quality has really taken a nose dive in recent years. What really gets me is most of the magazine is taken up with posters, and adverts for where to buy studded belts and black skinny jeans.There's hardly any actual writing in it anymore. Now, I like 'mainstream' bands, have been known to wear skinny jeans and eyeliner, and have been called 'emo' on many occasions, but Christ, even I'm sick of how each week it just sensationalizes some emo/pop band that claims to be alternative, while sucking up to scene kids that will have moved on to the next big thing by next Wednesday anyway. And if i see one more Pete Wentz cover I'm going to scream.
    Rock Sound is better, a lot more variety, more writing, better value for money. Though I do hate that 'Random Reader' section (usually some attention-starved 13-year-old talking about their favorite subject-themselves- with a photo of them in a darkened room, trying desperately to look moody and interesting), and that section where a band models an 'alternative' fashion label's clothes, so their fans can dress just like 'em. But it's still better than Kerrang!.
    Though, I don't know if there's much room for music magazines anymore when the internet gives you all the info you need for free.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Had subscriptionis to rock sound, metal hammer, kerrang and melody maker at one stage. Melody maker was ****ing quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I get Q every month. The only thing is I can't stand how they adore Oasis and Coldplay so much, and Radiohead to an extent, although I love them so it's ok. I mean I like Oasis and all, I just don't like how they worship them as Gods. It is very English I have to say, but they give good reviews and know who is up and coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Why would you buy magazines if you have the internet?

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why would you buy magazines if you have the internet?

The same reason I still buy cds.

Jay P wrote: »
    The same reason I still buy cds.
    Which is? (I don't understand CD buying either...)

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Which is? (I don't understand CD buying either...)

I like having cds. I like the ritual of ripping them onto the computer while reading the album book. I like magazines because I can read them in bed, study and I can read previous issues.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Jay P;55844962I like magazines because I can read them in bed[/QUOTE]
    Get yourself a laptop :p

Ah, I'll never understand the sentimental attachment to physical things which can be gotten easier digitally, but each to their own.

Advertisement