Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help Required

Options
  • 09-11-2007 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I know very little about cars so need some help. I have a 9 yr old car that when I press the clutch to change gears when the car isn't warmed up attempts to cut out. The battery indicator light also shows. I replaced the battery but the same thing still happens. What else can it be? Could it be the plugs? This doesn't happen when the car is well warmed up.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Could be a number of things really. Is the car well maintained/serviced? What type of car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Yosserh

yes, has been serviced regularly - however, not for last 10,000 KM! It a 1.4 VW Polo saloon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Does it shake/shudder when you clutch? If you rev' the car does the problem desist?

It's not the plugs BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Possibly a misreading engine temperature sender which is sending incorrect (higher than actual temp) values back to the ECU. These incorrect readings will not cause a warning light to come on. This is a common VW fault.

Another possibility is the intake manifold preheat pipe (if fitted - not sure what year your Polo is). When this pipe becomes torn or loose, it allows cold air into the intake system without being warmed over the exhaust manifold - this will cause the engine idle too low and/or cut out. If this is the problem you can expect it to get worse as the weather gets colder.

EDIT : Your battery light came on because the engine was idling too low which also means that the alternator (which charges the battery) was not spinning fast enough to charge the battery. It's worth pointing out that the battery light should be considered as a 'charging' light and doesn't reflect a problem with the battery itself, but usually a problem in the battery charging system.

It'a a 98, will plan to get rid of it in the new year - Are these problems fixable? Costly?

• Advertisement

If it's one of the two I mentioned then they shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

Have been in the car for a while today and I notice that it shudders in neutral - is this the same issue!
    Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Sounds like you have an engine misfire, check the Leads, Plugs and Distributor cap.

The distributors on the Polos did give trouble especially if it had high mileage.

Healyc wrote: »
    Sounds like you have an engine misfire, check the Leads, Plugs and Distributor cap.

The distributors on the Polos did give trouble especially if it had high mileage.

Quite true. I'd forgotten about the plug leads - they have a habit of going faulty and causing a misfire. However, usually the mis fire is prevalent under load but not always. Well worth having them checked.

Advertisement