Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught by Gardai - what to expect

Options
  • 09-11-2007 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice. Last night a friend of mine was stopped by a garda in his car. He had no tax, insurance, the NCT was up and his provisional licence was lost and had expired ages ago. He was told to submit his licence and insurance disk to the garda atation within 10 days. He lied and said he had a valid licence and insurance. Do any of you know what punishment he can expect if/when it goes to court. He has no previous convictions. He is in his 20's if that makes a difference.

Mods, if this isn't the best place for this query, can you please move it?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Presuming that this is not a troll,

Expect a large fine and a ban from driving. Depending on how long the tax is out, the car may be taken. He/She may also be procussted for whatever they were stopped for in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He can expect a fine of up to €5000.00 IMSC, and could be disqualified for two years (not that that should worry someone driving without lic, tax etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

ooh.... tell him to get an industrial size barrell of KY jelly, he'll need it!! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

regardless, let us know what happens.

I am always disappointed we never hear what happens to these people...

Speaking of which, anyone seen Lorax recently, any update on his court case? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

expect a 1-2 yr ban & a 4 digit fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

siralfalot wrote: »
    ooh.... tell him to get an industrial size barrell of KY jelly, he'll need it!! :D:p

Might not be your type.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

C_Breeze wrote: »
    expect a 1-2 yr ban & a 4 digit fine

I think thats letting him of lightly. Uninsured, untaxed and unlicenced drivers should get a minimum jail term. Instant deterant in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

KTRIC wrote: »
    I think thats letting him of lightly. Uninsured, untaxed and unlicenced drivers should get a minimum jail term. Instant deterant in my opinion.

Agreed, but I think they reserve that for TV licence dodgers.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Thanks to all who replied with helpful comments. I would agree - a 1-2 year ban and a 5 figure fine sounds reasonable. Also I agree, he deserves it. Why should we pay insurance/tax when others don't bother their holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Agreed, but I think they reserve that for TV licence dodgers.......

A tv licence dodger isn't going to leave some woman without her son or some family without a father when they're watching tv.

Someone driving in this manner should be treated like a criminal holding a loaded weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

A tv licence dodger isn't going to leave some woman without her son or some family without a father when they're watching tv.

Someone driving in this manner should be treated like a criminal holding a loaded weapon.

Tax and insurance makes you a safer driver? You learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Just wondering if the fact that his last license was a provisional, could he be done under the new legislation ( If they can prove that he was on a 1st license)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A tv licence dodger isn't going to leave some woman without her son or some family without a father when they're watching tv..

....I dunno, some the stuff on tv is appalling........yet still they're glued to it............:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Just wondering if the fact that his last license was a provisional, could he be done under the new legislation ( If they can prove that he was on a 1st license)

Given that the new legislation
    a) Makes no difference to 1st provisional drivers (apart from renaming them 'learner permits' and making them wait 6 months for a test) and
    b) Doesn't come into effect until June

...what do you think? ;)

D'Oh springs to mind!

Just needed a gentle nudge to remember that! Would hate to get a full blown thump from you though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because his licence had expired, that's irrelevant. He was driving without a licence. That alone will add a second hefty fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

hallelujah wrote: »
    Do any of you know what punishment he can expect if/when it goes to court. He has no previous convictions. He is in his 20's if that makes a difference.

Well it's Ireland, so probably some bleeding heart judge who'll fine him less than what it would have cost him to get taxed/insured in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the point is that if you're involved in an accident with an uninsured driver you're quite likely to be majorly out of pocket. If you're lucky MIBI might give you a few quid towards medical expenses 5 years down the road.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Exactly. We're already established here that a car is a lethal weapon. Driving without tax/license/insurance is like having a lethal weapon with laser sights whilst hepped up on goofballs.

TBH, 10 years seems a fair custodial sentence to me along with a spell in the public stocks and ritual destruction of the car in question.

Robbo wrote: »
    TBH, 10 years seems a fair custodial sentence to me along with a spell in the public stocks and ritual destruction of the car in question.
    Ten years is perhaps a little over the top. People do make dumb decisions in their lives. I would certainly be up for suspended or shorter custodial sentences, depending on how much of a dirty piece of **** the offender is.

A serious custodial sentence should be applied to all those who drive while banned. Ten years sound fair in that case. These aren't people who made a mistake, or "went off the rails". These are people who were told that they were incapable of safely using a vehicle, but consciously said "fusk you" to the state and did it anyway. Driving while banned is equivalent to absconding from prison. Punishment - jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He is in his 20's if that makes a difference.

If that's his IQ then it might make a difference, otherwise, no.

seamus wrote: »
    People do make dumb decisions in their lives.

A dumb decision is to let your tax expire, or forget to carry your license! Not drive with no tax, insurance, NCT or license

A dumb decision is to let your tax expire, or forget to carry your license!
    In my language, that's a mistake :)

I consider a dumb decision to be one that you know is inherently flawed and troublesome but has a slight chance of you coming out clean on the other side. Like making a late jump into a roundabout in front of a speeding artic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ten years is perhaps a little over the top. People do make dumb decisions in their lives.
    I think Robbo was being sarcastic...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think Robbo was being sarcastic...
    Well I was more satirising a certain class of poster.

Tough on scumbags, tough on the causes of scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Because his licence had expired, that's irrelevant. He was driving without a licence. That alone will add a second hefty fine.

You guys are living in dreamland. Not having a licence is a maximum €250 euro fine, hardly hefty.

Id go against the common trend in this thread and say that chances are you'll never hear baout this again. If the cop was serious about this he'd have taken the car off you on the spot. More than likely he wont bother putting the details on the system and even if he does and you dont show with your licence at the garda station you probably wont hear about it again.

I remember when I bought my car 2 years ago I had no insurance disk or tax on the car and the gard asked me to drop my insurance into my local garda station. I frogot and nothing came of it, its the same story with my father. Dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I can't reason why someone would just drive without having insurance,tax or an Nct for that matter (I know a lot do it)...If it were me, I would be bricking it everytime I was in car. Its obvious he knew for a longtime he was doing wrong and for a time getting away with it..I have never seen more spot checks these days and especially now even more coming up to Christmas.

I hope he gets what he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

cpoh1 wrote: »
    You guys are living in dreamland. Not having a licence is a maximum €250 euro fine, hardly hefty.

Id go against the common trend in this thread and say that chances are you'll never hear baout this again. If the cop was serious about this he'd have taken the car off you on the spot. More than likely he wont bother putting the details on the system and even if he does and you dont show with your licence at the garda station you probably wont hear about it again.

I remember when I bought my car 2 years ago I had no insurance disk or tax on the car and the gard asked me to drop my insurance into my local garda station. I frogot and nothing came of it, its the same story with my father. Dont worry about it.

Wow.
    Charming behaviour.
    Tell me, do you think we should all follow your lead.. might be an idea, wouldn't it?

Worrying thing is I don't think this clown is trolling either TBH..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This guy probably probably doesn't even drive every day.
    So what use is a ban?
    A driving ban can be devasting for a self-employed person or people in rural areas.
    But most young people don't even own cars so he will manage and a driving ban is no great punishment.

A fine and a custodial sentance is a better option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Tax and insurance makes you a safer driver? You learn something new everyday.

Not quite, but the point is relevant to driver attitude which is a major road hazard these days :(

Advertisement