Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught by Gardai - what to expect

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

hallelujah wrote: »
    Hi all,

Need a bit of advice. Last night a friend of mine was stopped by a garda in his car. He had no tax, insurance, the NCT was up and his provisional licence was lost and had expired ages ago. He was told to submit his licence and insurance disk to the garda atation within 10 days. He lied and said he had a valid licence and insurance. Do any of you know what punishment he can expect if/when it goes to court. He has no previous convictions. He is in his 20's if that makes a difference.

Mods, if this isn't the best place for this query, can you please move it?

Thanks,
    Jeff

If you log onto www.unison.ie you can search the indo and herald for stories of other socially responsible drivers like your friend and what happened to them in court -

Banned [100%]

Fines of €190 each were also imposed for failure to produce insurance, non-display of insurance disc, no driving licence, failure to produce a licence, no tax and no tax displayed.- 20/09/2002, News

Fined for [99%]

David McDonagh, 56 Garrybawn, Dundalk was fined €1,000 at the District Court for driving without insurance and disqualified for 12 months.- 17/01/2003, News

Drove without insurance [97%]

John Canron, Halting site, Borrisokane Road, Nenagh, was fined £600 and disqualified for a year at Nenagh Court for driving without insurance. He was fined £100 for not p- 04/08/2001, News

Drove without insurance [97%]

John Canron, Halting site, Borrisokane Road, Nenagh, was fined £600 and disqualified for a year at Nenagh Court for driving without insurance. He was fined £100 for not p- 04/08/2001, News

Warrant issued [97%]

A bench warrant was issued at Gorey District Court last Thursday for the arrest of William Murphy of Crory, Ferns.He failed to appear before the court to answer charges of driving - 14/10/2004, News

Warrant issued [97%]

A bench warrant was issued at Gorey District Court last Thursday for the arrest of William Murphy of Crory, Ferns.He failed to appear before the court to answer charges of driving - 14/10/2004, News

Woman had no insurance [95%]

Marie Toohey, Ballyheen, Templemore, was fined £1,000 and disqualified for a year at Templemore Court for driving without insurance. She was...- 25/09/1999, News

Woman had no insurance [95%]

Marie Toohey, Ballyheen, Templemore, was fined £1,000 and disqualified for a year at Templemore Court for driving without insurance. She was...- 25/09/1999, News

Man banned from driving [94%]

A SWORDS man was fined €475 and banned from driving for a year for motoring offences in the town.- 20/12/2002, News

Driver fined €500 [94%]

A young man who had been saving for his insurance appeared before Judge Donnchadh O Buachalla at last week's sitting of Tullow District Court- 30/09/2004, News

There's lots more where this came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

In fairness, everyone should have one "get out of jail free" card, not saying he should get off scot-free, perhaps a fine of a few hundred and a driving ban of say two years. You'd have to look at his track record, family background, etc.

His attitude was wrong but being caught will hopefully put him on the straight and narrow. Obvious you could expect a heavier punishment with any future convictions.

It's the people who keep committing offences and just not giving a crap who cause the most trouble. And also, wealthier people who can hire barristers and have family connections can also have a pretty rotten attitude and never get caught.

Hate to go off topic but how many times has Bertie broken the rules and got off without as much as a spot on his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Years ago I let my licence/nct/tax lapse and kept driving, just kept putting it off. I got stopped a good few times with tax out a year and nct out 6 months, i never heard anything back from the gards regarding this. Looking back it was really stupid and i was very lucky to escape punishment. Maybe im just getting old :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tech77 wrote: »
    Wow.
    Charming behaviour.
    Tell me, do you think we should all follow your lead.. might be an idea, wouldn't it?

Worrying thing is I don't think this clown is trolling either TBH..
    Are you sure that you read his post properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Anan1 wrote: »
    Are you sure that you read his post properly?

We'll he doesn't think it's a big deal to drive without a licence apparently.
    And he admitted to driving without tax.
    As far as I can make out from his post he also drove without proper insurance.
    From his post he regards them as unimportant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tax and insurance makes you a safer driver? You learn something new everyday.

No, the fact that your friend was acting like such a knob with zero consideration for others, thinking he was above the law to drive with NO insurance NO tax NO DRIVING LICENCE, *AND* he hasn't even passed his fscking test??

I hope they throw the book at him, tbh. Another idiot off the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

cpoh1 wrote: »
    You guys are living in dreamland. Not having a licence is a maximum €250 euro fine, hardly hefty.

No, you're wrong. Not *carrying* your licence is a small fine like that.
    This guy not only had no licence on him, but his licence was expired and it wasn't a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

tech77 wrote: »
    We'll he doesn't think it's a big deal to drive without a licence apparently.
    And he admitted to driving without tax.
    As far as I can make out from his post he also drove without proper insurance.
    From his post he regards them as unimportant.

Do I think road tax is unimportant? Well being quite honest my answer to that is a resounding yes. I bought my car and the fact that it wasnt taxed was not going to stop me driving it while I waited for my ownership form. Get real will you.

And what exactly is proper insurance? Is it having your car and your own details properly logged with your insurance companey with your premium paid? Or is it the insurance disk "thingy" thats really your insurance thats displayed on your window as you clearly see it? Not having your insurance disk displayed is an issue for the gardai only and has no effect on your insurance cover.

And finally, im not judging this guy, he didnt ask for judgement he asked what would happen to him and I answered it. From personal experience (my partner is a solicitor) driving with no licence (different to having it on his/her persons in the car) is 90% of the time a fine less than €250. Incidentally its nearly always old biddies and men who never bothered getting a licence first day that are in the dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

eth0_ wrote: »
    No, you're wrong. Not *carrying* your licence is a small fine like that.
    This guy not only had no licence on him, but his licence was expired and it wasn't a full licence.

No, he's right, i got a 75 euro fine for no license. My provisional had expired and i didnt even realise. Was about 6 years ago.

All grand now .. got my full license too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Do I think road tax is unimportant? Well being quite honest my answer to that is a resounding yes. I bought my car and the fact that it wasnt taxed was not going to stop me driving it while I waited for my ownership form. Get real will you.

And what exactly is proper insurance? Is it having your car and your own details properly logged with your insurance companey with your premium paid? Or is it the insurance disk "thingy" thats really your insurance thats displayed on your window as you clearly see it? Not having your insurance disk displayed is an issue for the gardai only and has no effect on your insurance cover.

And finally, im not judging this guy, he didnt ask for judgement he asked what would happen to him and I answered it. From personal experience (my partner is a solicitor) driving with no licence (different to having it on his/her persons in the car) is 90% of the time a fine less than €250. Incidentally its nearly always old biddies and men who never bothered getting a licence first day that are in the dock.

OK fair enough about the insurance.
    But even though you did say "insurance disc" rather than no insurance at all, i still got the impression from your post you didn't give a damn about all three.
    As i say fair enough though.

I now also gather from your previous post that you intended to get tax imminently while waiting for change of ownership to process, is that correct?
    Well if that is the case, that's a bit different.

But saying driving without a licence is not something to worry about is not on TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Thanks for the replies to my thread. I wasn't looking for opinions on what should happen by friend, just what is likely to happen him. This is an open forum I suppose. I don't know as yet if my friend submitted his licence. I'll let you's know any developments if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tax and insurance makes you a safer driver? You learn something new everyday.
    While they don't make you safer. It is typically the safer drivers that have them. People who offend on one count will offend on other counts.

Advertisement