Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pc for teh woman.

Options
  • 09-11-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Roish. So herself has started playing fps games. And im fed up of sharing my pc with her. So ill be building her a new pc from bits and piecies i have lying around.

First of is a lapped E6600 combined with a abit in9-fp fatal1ty board. I have a few spare ide hdds that can be used. I will most likely be using Tinyxp or Evilx, as they are free ;) I will be using a Antec 900 from kami. So all i need now is a semi decent gfx card that will play Source engine games, and quake4, and maybe a bit of wow if i can get her to play it. Also i need some ram. Will crappy 5300 be okay for her? Bear in mind it wont be overclocked. I also need a budget cooler.

Basicially you can see i've not built a pc on the cheap for a while. So i need some advice on ram, graphics card. cpu cooler. The pc will most likely be hooked up to a 32" Hd LD. Onboard sound will do her grand. And i have a spare 580w hiper psu.

Am i missing anything else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeah, a case :

gay_pc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

He already has an antec case there..

Mouse and keyboard? for the cooler you could probably try adverts or if you like ill give you a stock E6600 one? you just pay for postage..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

dazftw wrote: »
    He already has an antec case there..

Mouse and keyboard? for the cooler you could probably try adverts or if you like ill give you a stock E6600 one? you just pay for postage..

Sounds like a deal to me, cheers mate :)

ill go down and see how much postage will cost and ill send it straight away? Could you pay by bank transfer whatever it is? Took out some money and the credit card and its hard to pay off when you have no job :P so having it in pay pal is pointless..

send us a pm anyways now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

The my little pony case is so cute \0/

• Advertisement

Sure ill send by bank transfer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would just get the cheapest of the cheap ram. 'Crappy' 5300? For any women even 4200 is plenty :D

Actually 5300 seems to be cheaper if you get these - less then 50 Quid for two gigs...and they even come with heatspreaders for a stylish look!

Sapphire X1650Pro for 66 euro that will play Source fine at high settings and you're laughing. You can even get the HIS one for 53 euro but it's only ddr2 but doubt the performance difference would be huge given the weak core anyway. edit: Just noticed you said a 32" TV. What's the res on that, would ya be looking to play at a res close enough to native or just scale up a low res? This would be pretty sweet up to 1680x1050 or even 1900x1200 for Source. Or this one for slightly better performance for a few pints extra. god bless those cheap last gen dx9 cards. :)

there's something fun about building cheap PC's....it's my only luxury given I can never afford high end parts :(

I reckon your girlfriend is lucky to be getting such quality kit. A fatality board and a lapped 6600? Please! Mine has to make do with an ancient 2800+ and 9600XT. If she dares complain she gets a swift slap across the face. :D

edit: can you get pink cathode? :D

Slap across the face. And rightly so....

Thanks for the link for the ram, twill do nicely. As for the gfx im still not sure. I might gawk on adverts for a while.

And as for the case, im going to fully mod it to either white or pink.

white with pink fans? modding an antec 900 should be fun

Not a bad idea at all. Pink fans are fairly easy to come across. Just buy ones marked as red. Spraying the case should be fun though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I picked up 2 gigs of OCZ PC5400 ram with the spanky gold heatspreaders from memoryc.com (celbridge) this week for €48 + vat :)

Came to about €60 including post and vat. Was delivered very quickly too.

Very good. I will have a look at them too. Cheers Stephen.

Tbh, I would like to build it myself. Kinda start small and go from there. Would it like to be purple, but kinda sparkly, all over with blue lighting.

jules80 wrote: »
    Tbh, I would like to build it myself. Kinda start small and go from there. Would it like to be purple, but kinda sparkly, all over with blue lighting.

GTFO !

Anti wrote: »
    GTFO !

Serious, been watching you tinkering with your pcs and it seems interesting. And any advice would be very much apperciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Anti wrote: »
    GTFO !

Haha, the woman invading your turf man?

Big time.

Woman... TITS ot GTFO !

Advertisement