Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to do initial PADI course in Thailand?

• 09-11-2007 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if any of you can recommend a place to do the initial PADI course (Discover Scuba Diving or Scuba Diver I've seen them called on Thai diving centre websites.) in Thailand?
    I'm going for 3.5 weeks over Christmas and will be moving around the islands so am flexible enough as regards location.
    I'm just basically looking for recommendations from anybody who has done the courses in particularly good dive centres or nice places to do the dives as regards what we might see underwater.
    Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million.

JC

Edit: Maybe this would be better in the travel section? Mods feel free to move if you think so..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Koh Tao is probably your best bet as its easy to get to and its filled to the brim with dive shops.

I have dived with Planet Scuba and their intro to diving course is quite good, they send you down usually with more experienced divers because its your first time normally.

You can get the overnight train to Chumpon and get the boat in the morning. Costs about 700Baht 1 way for both in a package. You will be in by about 9:30 in the morning.

Places to stay are reasonable and its cheaper than Bangkok for most stuff. Night life is quite good with lots of bars that are open to the beach.

What you'll see .. depends on the site, but mainly tropical coral fish, such as moon tailed wrasse, angel fish, trigger fish (titans usually), parrot fish and turtles and the odd whale shark. Saw a unicorn fish, dog faced puffer, morays, rays, nudibrachs, glass shrimp and other such fun things.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

"I'm going for 3.5 weeks over Christmas and will be moving around the islands................"

Lucky Sod...............:D

p.s Does anyone know how to quote single sentences from previous posters??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Thanks for that Ginger, much appreciated.

Am looking forward to it now, roll on the 18th Dec...:cool:

Advertisement