Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies.....where Do I begin?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

I'm doing Classics on my own, and I have all books and the syllabus, but I have no idea where I'm meant to start from. First Topic I'm doing is Alexander the Great, and I have notes from cai-teachers.ie....but where do I begin? Whats the starting point?

My other topics are Greek Drama, Ancient Epic and The Philosopher in Society.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Basically just learn off the battles from Alexander the Great, there's a load of them there :/ We spent most of last year doing them.
    Can't really help you with the rest, we've just finished poets at the moment and haven't done the other topics you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

A good way to start would be just to read through the story. I read the Arrian version (only a slimmed down copy) which was an easy enough read and had some good illustrations of the battle formations.

Here's a link to the book on amazon linky

And here's where me and a few others will be building a collection of Classical Studies notes that you might find useful (or want to help us build!) over the course of the year:
    http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Classical_Studies
    (so far I've only started on Roman Art and Architecture)

Advertisement