Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant about cyclists

Options
  • 09-11-2007 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I am continually getting more and more pissed off with cyclists. This is particularly in relation to the amount of them that don't have lights on their bikes, ones that break red lights and ones that don't wear helmets.

Now that the days are getting shorter, you would imagine that the cylists would start investing in lights on their bikes. I know they have reflectors but sometimes it's just impossible to see them without them having their own lighting source.

The other major problem I have with cyclists is their total disregard for the rules of the road. They feel that they can just go through red lights as they plead or just fly out in front of cars.

Why don't the cylists wear helmets. Do they not realise that I they hit their head off the pavement, they're goners.

I would love to see the Gardai start enforcing rules for cyclists. If they want to use the the roads, they should obey by the rules that governs them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It's not in AH that you need to be ranting about this. It is the guys & gals over in the Cycling forum that need to know how you feel about them.

Pop over there & let them have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I agree completely. Impossible to spot them sometimes. same goes for some people walking on country roads. Make yourselves visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm a cyclist but i can sympathize with you to some extent. too many muppets on bikes dont give a **** and give us a bad name.

but then again motorists are worse. they dont use their indicators properly, overtake then cut across to turn left run me into the footpaths, tend not to give us enough space on the roads and cut it very close and start giving me abuse because i'm following the rules of the road...

lack of understanding of the rules of the road is a problem common across Ireland basically. most people learn them to pass their driving test then throw the book out the window they day they get their license. I think we should consider introducing this into the classroom myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

Feel free to move it back if you don't want it.
    Although that could be seen as a cyclical move, so I would probably have to send it back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Is there a forum for re-cycling?
    Terry wrote: »
    Moved from AH.

Feel free to move it back if you don't want it.
    Although that could be seen as a cyclical move, so I would probably have to send it back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭markpb

We've been through this soooooo many times that I have no problem joining in again :D

All road users are diabolical, selfish, thoughtless and brake the rules of the road on countless occasions. How many pedestrians do you see jaywalking dangerously? How many car drivers park in cycle lanes, drive in bus lanes, change lanes without indicating, cut off cyclists or run red lights? How many motorbikers drive dangerously quickly through a line of slow moving cars or on the wrong side of the road when there's traffic coming? Cyclists are just one in a bad bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

exactly it works both ways. there are bad cyclists but there are also bad drivers.

only last night I was out for a cycle and the amount of cars that were parked in cycle lanes. Also i was in the phoenix park, a car was stopped a yield sign, he pulled out as i was cycling by. He was able to stop just in time, otherwise I would have been on his bonnet.
    I was wearing a hi-vis west and have three lights on my bike, he then had the cheek to start beeping at me as if it as my fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Fully agree with you about the lights and visibility. Many cyclists still need to improve on that score, for their own safety. That said, you see a lot more high-vis vests (in Dublin at any rate) now than you did even three years ago, so I suspect things are improving.

As for the cyclists-and-red-lights debate...

can%20of%20worms.jpg

And as for the helmets debate...

iStock_can%20of%20worms.jpg
    swingking wrote: »
    I am continually getting more and more pissed off with cyclists. This is particularly in relation to the amount of them that don't have lights on their bikes, ones that break red lights and ones that don't wear helmets.

Now that the days are getting shorter, you would imagine that the cylists would start investing in lights on their bikes. I know they have reflectors but sometimes it's just impossible to see them without them having their own lighting source.

The other major problem I have with cyclists is their total disregard for the rules of the road. They feel that they can just go through red lights as they plead or just fly out in front of cars.

Why don't the cylists wear helmets. Do they not realise that I they hit their head off the pavement, they're goners.

I would love to see the Gardai start enforcing rules for cyclists. If they want to use the the roads, they should obey by the rules that governs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

gereralise much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Fully agree with you about the lights and visibility. Many cyclists still need to improve on that score, for their own safety. That said, you see a lot more high-vis vests (in Dublin at any rate) now than you did even three years ago, so I suspect things are improving.

What always makes me laugh/cry is the hi-viz underneath the backpack. Amazing logic. What’s the point? :D
    I went to a fancy dress party last week as “Mr. Health and Safety”. Amongst other things I wore two hi-viz because “you can’t be too visible”, but of course one hi-viz was covering the other. The point was a lot of the Safety is daft if it’s not thought through, none of this is as simple as “get lights” or “wear hi-viz” or especially “wear helmet”.

Anyway, swingkid, by and large I agree, and I understand you’re frustration, (even though I think it’s a bit silly to have a rant like that on the internet) but have a read through the other threads here, pick any random thread or go to google.
    Look for stuff on risk compensation behaviour, the rules of the road as they apply to cyclists (or often don’t apply, or often can’t possibly apply in the real world). Check out the stats on bicycle accidents and people who wear helmets. Best of all, get a bike and give it a shot yourself for a few weeks.
    Also, on the road, as in life, most people are thick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Why do you want the guards to enforce non existent laws, cyclist are't required to wear helmets, I'm sure you are only have their best interests in mind ;) but time would be better spent enforcing the mobile hands free law this probably ranks a smidgen higher in importance than cyclist and hemlets.

A cyclist without a helmet is a danger to himself and car driver talking the phone is a danger to himself, the cyclist, the pedestrian, fellow car drivers.... etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The thing that some cyclists do that bothers me the most is not using cycle lanes when they're provided. It drives me crazy, and I see it all the time. It isn't really dangerous, as roads that have cycle lanes are usually wide enough to overtake on, but it is just so stupid. It would be like a pedestrian refusing to use the foot-path. I now have very little time for cyclist groups asking for more cycle lanes, as I rarely see cyclists using them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Your above comments about cyclists are ridiculous. I cycle to work a few times a week, and I have no experience of any of the above rant. Breaking a red light can be fine if it's along side a path - it's not like cyclists are just cycling into the middle of oncoming traffic. There was an article like this in the financial times last week, about drivers who pick on cyclists. Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭markpb

Wacker wrote: »
    The thing that some cyclists do that bothers me the most is not using cycle lanes when they're provided. It drives me crazy, and I see it all the time. It isn't really dangerous, as roads that have cycle lanes are usually wide enough to overtake on, but it is just so stupid. It would be like a pedestrian refusing to use the foot-path. I now have very little time for cyclist groups asking for more cycle lanes, as I rarely see cyclists using them anyway.

When you've used the cycle lanes in Dublin, at rush hour and without reducing to a crawling speed, you'll understand why they're not used. Until then, focus on using those flashing yellow things at the side of your car and watching out for the cyclists who are using those cycle lanes when you turn left across them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

where?

if they're not using the lane, there's a reason. you may not see that reason from a driver's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

this has been done before and is little more than a bitch and whine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

One of the reasons many cyclists don't use cycle lanes is the condition of them. They generally run alongside a road, so when a road needs to be dug up for undergrounds pipes etc, they dig up the cycle lane and when finished just slap a but of tarmacadam on top that is not level with the rest of the lane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement