Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5"8board - suitbale for 9 year old?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to buy a very good condition second hand board as a christmas gift for a 9 year old. She is VERY capable, surfing on a 8ft board with no probs (borrowed) but its too big for her. I was advised a shortboard would be the best in terms of challenge and imrpovement.

I've located a 5"8 Southern Surf Expoxy Fish board. Can you advise if this would be suitable at all... thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Fish tend to be very wide and thick so it might still be a bit much for her. You certainly need a bit of weight behind you to throw them around on the wave and even to duckdive them. a 5'8 fish would be designed for an adult of medium build around 5'10 in height. If it's a keel fin fish then it'd also probably be a bit too fast for her too.

I'd recommend a small grom shortboard for her. I don't know what size boards groms are riding but I think I've seen them in the 4'10 mark! She's still growing so it might be a good idea to get something slightly bigger for her needs but not too big.Talk to a local shaper or pop into a shop and see what they've got. You might find a bigger second hand market in places like Tramore and Lahinch where there's a strong emphasis on younger surfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks a mill for the info, much appreciated. Will check out websites mentioned, hopefully nab something for Xmas!

Advertisement