Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkhead to be renovated?

• 09-11-2007 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Now that we have found out Glasgow is to get the commonwealth games, i wonder how many of the ""Rumours" are true about Celtic Park getting an extra 10-15000 seats courtesy of the people who gave them free land for their training acadamy? ;)

Well done Glasgow, great achievment for the city.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Now that we have found out Glasgow is to get the commonwealth games, i wonder how many of the ""Rumours" are true about Celtic Park getting an extra 10-15000 seats courtesy of the people who gave them free land for their training acadamy? ;)

Well done Glasgow, great achievment for the city.

Didn't hear the redevelopment rumours - that would be fantastic though. That would bring capacity to between 70k and 75k. Mind you it would look even emptier at diddy cup games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    Didn't hear the redevelopment rumours - that would be fantastic though. That would bring capacity to between 70k and 75k. Mind you it would look even emptier at diddy cup games.

Aye theres been rumours flying about...tbh i dont particularly see it happening, but there will be certain (free) upgrades made to the stadium as its holding the opening ceremony. Plus the subway will be extended to parkhead using the old tunnels....thatll be fun on old firm day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

That would be good news and only about 10 years since the last renovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Excellent news for Glasgow, some badly needed regeneration now going ahead

As for Celtic Park, it will be hosting the opening ceremony therefore I would imagine it will have some sort of renovation done.
    celtic park to host games launch
    Michael McGowan
    CELTIC Park will host the opening ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games which, it was announced today, will go ahead in Glasgow.

The city locked horns with Nigerian capital Abuja this morning in a hotel in Sri Lankan capital, Colombo after years of planning and campaigning in 67 countries and Glasgow came out on top after securing the majority of votes from the 71 delegates.

Celtic Chief Executive, Peter Lawwell, said: "The decision today to bring the Commonwealth Games to Glasgow is fantastic news for the city.

“Everyone behind Glasgow's bid deserves enormous credit for the work they have put into bringing such a prestigious event to Glasgow.

“Glasgow is fully deserving of this honour and I am sure we will make sure that the 2014 Games is an event to remember.

“We were delighted to offer Celtic Park as the venue for the Games Opening Ceremony and we will be doing all we can to assist and ensure that the Games kick off in style."

Celtic manager, Gordon Strachan, added: "This really is fantastic news for Glasgow. I am sure the Games will be great not just for the city, but for Scotland as a whole.

“To have such a prestigious event taking place here and to be able to see some of the world's best sportsmen and women on our doorstep is very exciting.

“As well as the benefits this will bring to the city, hopefully this will also encourage more and more of our young people to get involved in sport at any level."

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_091107114857.aspx

it certainly would... getting the stadium renovated for free an extra 5 million or so in revenue every week.... god bless Glasgow Celtic Council.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Would that mean rebuilding the main stand?

Dunno mate, as i say its all rumour and hearsay..the only thing for sure is there will be plenty of "cosmetic" work done to the stadium itself along with transport links etc.

By the way im not really all that bitter...im actually delighted that glasgow has got the games as its a fantastic chance to regenerate the city and get it on the sporting map again...just playing devils advocate a wee bit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

it certainly would... getting the stadium renovated for free an extra 5 million or so in revenue every week.... god bless Glasgow Celtic Council.... ;)
    Dunno mate, as i say its all rumour and hearsay..the only thing for sure is there will be plenty of "cosmetic" work done to the stadium itself along with transport links etc.

By the way im not really all that bitter...im actually delighted that glasgow has got the games as its a fantastic chance to regenerate the city and get it on the sporting map again...just playing devils advocate a wee bit ;)

That would qualify as a contradiction in most peoples books.

cson wrote: »
    That would qualify as a contradiction in most peoples books.

And that would possibly be the explanation for the use of the "Devils Advocate" in many peoples books.....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Would that mean rebuilding the main stand?

I guess so, probably bring the main stand up to the same height as the other 3 sides. I'd imagine that would yield the extra 10k to 15k mentioned. Would be some stadium if that were done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I guess so, probably bring the main stand up to the same height as the other 3 sides. I'd imagine that would yield the extra 10k to 15k mentioned. Would be some stadium if that were done.

Isn't the reason that its lower is that its a listed building? i.e. they can't do anything with it...

Isn't the reason that its lower is that its a listed building? i.e. they can't do anything with it...

Thats Ibrox your thinking of mate... Parkhead was completely knocked down and built from scratch a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Thats Ibrox your thinking of mate... Parkhead was completely knocked down and built from scratch a while back

Yeah you're probably right...

All things aside, I have always liked Ibrox as a stadium. Built by the same architect as my beloved Everton, so it looks quite similar to Goodison...

Yeah you're probably right...

All things aside, I have always liked Ibrox as a stadium. Built by the same architect as my beloved Everton, so it looks quite similar to Goodison...

Thats my english team there, and not because of the smith years before anyone starts :D
    My best mate when i was a kid living in Blackpool came from an everton mad family so i went to a couple of games with them.

Thats my english team there, and not because of the smith years before anyone starts :D
    My best mate when i was a kid living in Blackpool came from an everton mad family so i went to a couple of games with them.

So did you enjoy singing "Grand Old Team" with them? ;) The original version of course. ;)

I was 5/6 years old mate, i didnt really realise the relevance of it bacj then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I myself have never had a problem getting a season ticket but , now would be a great time for people to put there names down for season tickets.

Advertisement