Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob needs help with Community Aquarium

Options
  • 09-11-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am hoping you can help point me in the right direction.
    I have looked about the web and there are so many possiblities out there. I dont want to go into a pet shop and get ripped off, so hope you boardsies can help!

What I am looking to do is buy a tank and setup a freshwater community aquarium (not too many fish to begin with, the gf wants a couple of Siamese fighting fish anyway!).

If anyone can point me in right direction to start off in regards buying equipment, the fish etc, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    Zefer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 munsterchick

To start with you can only have one male siamese fighting fish in one tank, or else they will fight- hence the name siamese fighting fish.
    Find a good per shop and they will point you in the right direction.

There is an aquatic place in new ross- not sure of the name, they used to have a place in Kilkenny too, but this has shut down.

They always have good information and are resonable enough on price for tanks, equipment and fish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

heya doin mate, im jimkels grlfriend(look for any other fish related topics by jim he's a big fish man)... but i think i can give you some advice on setting up a freshwater aqu.
    first of all you'll need a tank, the bigger the better.i always say that it is worth investing in a nice large tank as it will last you untill your hobby outgrows this tank.id reccomend in a 2-4f ft tank.
    For tropical freshwater fish, you will need an aquarium heater, all sizes are 35 euro in most pet shops.
    for any fish you need a good pump, as my boyfriend says, the secret to healthy fish is keeping healthy water...
    an aquarium light, roughly the same lenght as your tank
    you will need 2-3 inches of substrate, i reccomend pebbels or coral sand looks lovely against the lights..
    Some decour: eveyone has their own taste... plants, sunken ships, skulls...
    if your gf wants a couple of Siamese fighting fish, remember only one make per tank or else they will fight, the males are the more colourful.
    livebreeders are good for starting off, you can start with a couple and you can end up with a tank full of your own babies...livebreeders include, guppies, mollys, swordtails, and platies, you can also keep these fish in a community tank, you can add all the different types of tetra from neon, cardonal, silver tipped and phantom, and the white cloud mountain minnow all these will do great together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sure22

Have you considered getting a second hand tank? You can get some really good deals as demand for them isn't high.

I got a new Juwel Vision 180 about three years ago. I checked all the shops in Dublin and found the Aquarium Centre in Ballybough (beside Annesly motors) was by far the cheapest if you paid cash. There was huge variation in price between shops. I have heard that you can get aquariums cheaper if you go to the north.

Aldi are selling a complete aquarium set this Sunday for 70 euro, details on their website http://www.aldi.ie. If you are looking for a tank that size I doubt you will beat that price.

The Irish tropical fish society site http://www.irishfishkeepers.com is a great resource where you can get loads of good advice. There are forums for everything, even one for "noobs". I saw a post about cheap tanks there today from some guy in Letterkenny, details are in the forums there. There is also a for sale section where you can get good deals

munsterchick is right about only one male Siamese fighter per tank and you can't mix them with "fin nippers" like tiger barbs. There are plenty of aquarium books that will give you a good start ....

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Thanks everyone.
    I was on to the lads in aquatic village today and may take a trip out there but didnt know about the one in Ballybough..That is much closer, so will defo go there tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

zefer wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    I was on to the lads in aquatic village today and may take a trip out there but didnt know about the one in Ballybough..That is much closer, so will defo go there tomorrow.
    theres a fantastic aquarium shop in midleton called FISH N FINS they have a huge range of fish from coldwater to all tropical fish in stock and fish tanks galore! All fish needs are there and the staff are brill they help with any topic ok DAVEY

• Advertisement
Advertisement