Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I cycled in and out of town this morning in order to visit my dentist. I have much respect to anyone who has to negotiate the traffic and absolute excuse for cycle lanes that we have in the city centre. My commute only takes me as far as East Point (coming along the north bay coast), so I had never experienced rush hour Dublin traffic on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

All the traffic makes for more fun.

Verb wrote: »

It does actually, it keeps you on your toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Is your name Norman Vincent Peale?
    Verb wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Is your name Norman Vincent Peale?

Smile ! Be positive ! Car drivers are your friends !

I cycle right through the city center twice a day, O Connell St, D'Olier St, College Green etc. It's more fun when there's lots of traffic. It's slower alright but I like the obstacle course.

No traffic is kinda boring really, just cycling away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

King Raam wrote: »
    I cycled in and out of town this morning in order to visit my dentist. I have much respect to anyone who has to negotiate the traffic and absolute excuse for cycle lanes that we have in the city centre. My commute only takes me as far as East Point (coming along the north bay coast), so I had never experienced rush hour Dublin traffic on a bike.

Rathmines to Coolock me, so I see it all. It's good craic. Traffic does slow you down but damn, it's satisfying.

Worst part of that commute is actually a part you probably do every day anyway: the cycle track on the footpath around Fairview park. Dunno if you found it tough, but loads of people cycle the wrong way on it (I assume to get to the coast road track), in the dark, no lights etc.
    That and Westland Row are the toughest. Everything else is fun.

Rathmines to Coolock me, so I see it all. It's good craic. Traffic does slow you down but damn, it's satisfying.

Worst part of that commute is actually a part you probably do every day anyway: the cycle track on the footpath around Fairview park. Dunno if you found it tough, but loads of gimps cycle the wrong way on it (I assume to get to the coast road track), in the dark, no lights etc.
    That and Westland Row are the toughest. Everything else is fun.

My route to work doesn't take me that way, but I did it today and I have cycled it on other occasions. It was fine this morning as everyone was going the right way, but it just feels wrong to be cycling on the footpath. I've walked that way plenty of times and I always see people traveling in the wrong direction. It looks like it was cleared of the leaves recently, which is a good thing.

Advertisement