Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A: Milan's Ronaldo set to return at Atalanta

• 09-11-2007 2:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Preview

Serie A: Milan's Ronaldo set to return at Atalanta

ROME, Nov 8 (Reuters) - AC Milan's Ronaldo is expected to make his first appearance of the season on Sunday in their Serie A visit to Atalanta after recovering from a nagging leg problem.

Click here
    The Brazilian striker was included in Milan's squad for Tuesday's Champions League match at Shakhtar Donetsk, but did not take part in the 3-0 win.

His return to fitness is a much-needed boost for the European champions, who are 11 points behind Serie A leaders Inter Milan in ninth place.

Milan's home form has been particularly poor, so they may be happy to face Atalanta, who are four points above them in sixth, in Bergamo.

Milan have not won a league game this season at the San Siro, where they have picked up only four points and scored three goals. But they thrashed Sampdoria and Lazio 5-0 and 5-1 in their last two away matches.

Inter, who have 25 points from 11 games, entertain struggling Lazio.

Both sides are short-handed.

Portuguese midfielder Luis Figo has joined Marco Materazzi, Patrick Vieira and Dejan Stankovic on Inter's injured list after fracturing his leg in last Sunday's 1-1 draw at Juventus.

The title-holders did not miss those players on Wednesday, when they beat CSKA Moscow 4-2 in the Champions League thanks to two goals each by Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Argentina midfielder Esteban Cambiasso.

Lazio, just one point above the relegation zone after losing their last three league games, are without suspended midfielders Gaby Mudingayi and Massimo Mutarelli, and the injured Stefano Mauri.

Captain Luciano Zauri is also out with a thigh strain from Tuesday's 2-1 Champions League win over Werder Bremen, while Macedonia striker Goran Pandev is doubtful because he too has a thigh problem.

"Victory in the Champions League will give us a morale boost for the Inter game," striker Tommaso Rocchi, whose goals sank Werder, told the club's website.

"Everyone knows they are a difficult side, but we are going to the San Siro convinced we can win to move up the standings."

Unbeaten Fiorentina, second with 23 points, host fifth-placed Udinese.

AS Roma, third with 22 points, are likely to be without captain Francesco Totti again for Sunday's home game against Cagliari because of an ankle injury.

Czech midfielder Pavel Nedved will miss fourth-placed Juventus's trip to Parma because he is suspended after being booked for the challenge that fractured Figo's leg.

Saturday, November 10, 2007
    TIME HOME AWAY VENUE
    17:00 UK Sampdoria v Empoli Comunale Luigi Ferraris
    19:30 UK Palermo v Napoli Renzo Barbera

Sunday, November 11, 2007
    TIME HOME AWAY VENUE
    14:00 UK Atalanta v AC Milan Stadio Azzurri D`Italia
    14:00 UK Fiorentina v Udinese Artemio Franchi
    14:00 UK Inter Milan v Lazio Stadio Giuseppe Meazza
    14:00 UK Parma v Juventus Stadio Ennio Tardini
    14:00 UK Reggina v Genoa Stadio Oreste Granillo
    14:00 UK Siena v Livorno Artemio Franchi Montepaschi Arena
    14:00 UK Torino v Catania Calcio Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino
    19:30 UK Roma v Cagliari Stadio Olimpico

Nice to see Ronaldo back in action even if he is wearing the wrong colours. He'll score goals for Milan. Probably a good thing to start him off away from home. Not doing well there but there away form is decent. Will CL matches take there toll though? Milan to win. Just!

Inter should be ok against Lazio. Both teams are short of numbers but if you saw Inter on Wednesday you would have seen a team with great teams spirt. Was some turn around. Inter to win 3-1.

Juve should be to much for Parma.

The Viola will find it tough but should win.

Should be interesting at the Palermo game. Napoli fans are banned. Probably gona be beatings left right and centre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Excellent news. Milans form will pick up with Ronaldo in the team. He was simply sensational in the 12 games he played for them last year. That goal against Inter was fantastic. People seem to forget this mans record and dismiss him as past it. Only 30/31 years of age and still scores for fun. Best player of all time in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Ronaldo never really lost it to begin with. Every season he's played his goals to game ratio was either great or very good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Back in his peak when I gave a **** he was my favourite player but what he did to Inter turned me against him. Class player all the same

What did he do to inter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Archimedes wrote: »
    What did he do to inter?

Inter paid his wages while he was injured for years. He came back about 2 months before the 2002 season finished did well got picked for Brazil in the world cup.Had a savage tournament came back and ****ed off to Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Where can I watch the Palermo game?

Where can I watch the Palermo game?

its on bet 365

kearnsr wrote: »
    Inter paid his wages while he was injured for years. He came back about 2 months before the 2002 season finished did well got picked for Brazil in the world cup.Had a savage tournament came back and ****ed off to Madrid.

So what exactly are you saying? Clubs shouldnt pay injured players? Players should have any ambition? Can you clear this up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

probably more like the Michael Owen thing, a club standing by the player, helping them get fit, paying them a kings ransom for no return for over a year only for the player to jump ship as soon as he's fit. Owen didn't leave, but its safe to saw if he had followed the "ambition" and gone to Arsenal or Man U or back to pool, that Newcastle fans would hate him.

Its a different debate whether there should be loyalty from the player or not, is it just a company change like in any other job, or is it a pride and passion and playing for the jersey thing. From a neutral point of view i couldn't blame him so much, but from a fans point of view, i would say Newcastle fans would be right to dislike him after it, just as i was royally pissed off at him for stalling on his contract negotiations, letting his contract run down, and then jumping ship on the cheap to Spain.

Well considering Inter got €39 million for someone who "was injured for years", I dont think they can afford to be bitter.

• Advertisement

Well considering Inter got €39 million for someone who "was injured for years", I dont think they can afford to be bitter.

Inter would have preferred to have him at the club. At the time he asked for a free transfer which didnt go down will.

And I dont think he went for that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thought it was 15 meself, wiki says 39 would that be lira by any chance?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nahh, i remember it was definitely around about £25mil he went to Real for.

Lira was ditched at the end of '01 wasn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

yeah, I remember it being around £25m too. I've hated him ever since coz if it wasnt for Inter helping him back to fitness he pobably would'nt be playing football today. He would have been a great player for Inter but instead he was wasted at Real. I remember that hat-trick he scored against Utd(for Real), it was his best game for Real but the Real fans still hated him.

Link

Straight from the horses mouth

It appears €53m could have then the end transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Thought it was 15 meself, wiki says 39 would that be lira by any chance?

kdjac

Lira was wacky money wasn't it? You know like 39 million would be 50 grand or something?:D

Nunu wrote: »
    Lira was wacky money wasn't it? You know like 39 million would be 50 grand or something?:D

From kearnrs link 43 million was 100 billion lira :confused:

kdjac

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7089485.stm

Jesus thats awful.

They werent even playing each other :confused:

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7089485.stm

Jesus thats awful.

They werent even playing each other :confused:

kdjac

Maybe you could merge to the other thread with this

dor83 wrote:
    He would have been a great player for Inter but instead he was wasted at Real.

83 goals in 127 matches says youre full of sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ronaldo didnt play then? from the stats it looked like a terrible game.

Call_me_al wrote: »

Thats because the fans looked like they were gona storm the pitch at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thats because the fans looked like they were gona storm the pitch at one stage

really that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Call_me_al wrote: »

Wasn't it abondoned soon after kick-off or something though due to fans trying to break down the barriers and get onto the pitch?

Seems like a pretty tense situation over there at the moment, a barracks was stromed by armed fans in Rome today as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

83 goals in 127 matches says youre full of sh1t.
    I never said he did'nt play well for them, I sais he was wasted. At Real the fans hated him, he was booed off the pitch on many occasions, and he did'nt play as often as he should have. I always said he was a top class stricker but Real was the biggest mistake of his career.

Wasn't it abondoned soon after kick-off or something though due to fans trying to break down the barriers and get onto the pitch?

Seems like a pretty tense situation over there at the moment, a barracks was stromed by armed fans in Rome today as well.

If there wasnt an international break games would have been called off. Still might be the week after.

Wouldn't surprise me if the leg is put on hold for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Armed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Armed?

Yep, two each.

I've already got my coat on.

Advertisement