Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just test drove a Golf GT

Options
  • 09-11-2007 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

The new white on the Golfs and Jettas is lovely... Not a fan of white but that "candy white" I think is just that bit different that it's nice. As for the car, I've no idea myself. Have only heard good stuff from people who've driven them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Its fair to say that you will probably lose a bit more depreciation wise on the 170... you will likely only recover a small premium over the 140bhp after 3 years. Its not that there's no market for the 170, its just that it will be more of a special order car, and the dealer is prob keen to shift one of the 140's he's ordered in!

Yeah, white seems to be getting really popular and looks good on the right car, the Golf being one of them. I saw a white BMW 1 Series recently, and thought it looked really well, and I'm no fan of that car.
    Resale of white will still be a problem here for some time to come though - there will be a perception that it's a van / cop car.

My advice, save harder and get a GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

buy a s/h gti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Go for the 140bhp, you said so yourself it moves and people probably don't choose the 170bhp because of insurance. No turbo lag thanks to the sweet supercharger too... great combo. Much like BMW's ingenius idea of having a little turbo that works before the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

auggie2k wrote: »
    Go for the 140bhp, you said so yourself it moves and people probably don't choose the 170bhp because of insurance. No turbo lag thanks to the sweet supercharger too... great combo. Much like BMW's ingenius idea of having a little turbo that works before the big one.

Its hardly BMW's idea!

If the 1.8t's are anything to go by the current line should pull very well throughout the rev range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Ofcourse its gonna "move" as youre moving up from a peugeot , but is by no means a rocket ... and at the end of the day its still an overblown 1.4.

White does look nice, but its a bit too (integra/glanza ,cop car, van - like) which would put me off

I too would suggest a used gti if thats the route you wanna take (personally though if i had the money, i wouldnt touch a VW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Its hardly BMW's idea!
    No I didn't say that, just saying it's very clever and unique... much like BMW's clever idea - using one thing to back up another.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

I 2nd the advice for a used GTi instead - I find the GT shockingly lacking in torque, I actually thought it felt heavy and sluggish and I thought there was quite noticeable turbo lag - in fact the worst I've noticed in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Well i'd say the supercharger was bust in the one you were driving because there is no lag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

sicruise wrote: »
    Well i'd say the supercharger was bust in the one you were driving because there is no lag...

Lol , exactly why i wouldnt touch one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

mack1 wrote: »
    ...I thought there was quite noticeable turbo lag...

I have a 1.4TSI Jetta for the past number of months. There is no turbo lag - the supercharger clicks in immediately and cuts out again at ~2500rpm. Fascinating system - wonder how long it'll work that well???

Issues?
    This engine seems to run very hot - VW have put a "heat-shield" on the underside of the bonnet to protect the paint-work, so I am not sure when then paint will blister/fade.
    I had a strange situation one morning where 30 minutes into my journey, the ems limited the engine to 3000rpm (after the supercharger cut out & turbo kicked in) - scared the crap out of me, cos I was trying to break onto a roundabout and the car didn't respond...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

JoeA3 wrote: »
    My advice, save harder and get a GTI.

I would agree.

Advertisement