Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEw Graphics card problem

Options
  • 09-11-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a HP SFF DC5000 pc at home and I needed a card that would give me a DVI outlet. The machine only has PCI (no, unfortunately no PCI-E or AGP) so I was limited in what I could get. I bought this card from Komplett after much searching: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334929, a HIS Radeon X1550 256MB DDR2 graphics card.

Trouble is, while it slots in perfectly and the fan is whirring away (so there is at least power going into it), I cannot get it to work. I have installed the software but on bootup I keep getting an error saying that there is not enough system memory. The PC has a 2.8Ghz processor and 896meg of RAM. The box says it needs a minimum of 500meg of RAM for Windows XP, so am I short on memory or what? It seems odd when the card has its own memory. I will scream if this does not work as my options with PCI are limited.

As an update to this query, it is an 'option ROM' error that I am getting, whatever that is. This might sound stupid and I have only discovered it, but the PSU of the PC is only 185 watts and the box of the graphics card reccomends 450 watts or more. Could this be it?

Anyone?

Tom...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Have you disabled the old on board video in the bios?

PSU could also be getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

uberpixie wrote: »
    Have you disabled the old on board video in the bios?

PSU could also be getting in the way.

Yes, the system disabled the onboard graphics controller automatically. I also disabled the USBs ad the secondary IDE drive, in the hope that it might give the PSU a bit of a break. Nothing worked though. I suspect it might be too much for the PSU (Pentium 4).

Advertisement