Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oscar wilde

Options
  • 09-11-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi, i am gonna go to the library tomorrow, looking to get an Oscar Wilde book or two, can anyone recommend a good Wilde book to start with please ? thanks rasoul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Canterville Ghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭rasoul

thanks for that, any more you would recommend in case they havent got that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Picture of Dorian Grey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Novels? Plays? Defintely have a look at Dorian Gray though, a really amazing read.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Novels? Plays? Defintely have a look at Dorian Gray though, a really amazing read.

Yea novels, I will grab those two mentioned if they have them, is there much humour in dorian gray i wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

rasoul wrote: »
    Yea novels, I will grab those two mentioned if they have them, is there much humour in dorian gray i wonder ?

Brilliantly witty imo - though the kind of humour he uses doesn't fit with everyone.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Brilliantly witty imo - though the kind of humour he uses doesn't fit with everyone.

from what i have read about Wilde, I reckon it will suit me :) , I will report back to you, cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Happy Prince is a good tear-jerking children's book.

Also check out The Ballad of Reading Gaol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I agree with the Picture of Dorian Grey.
    I really didn't like The Importance of Being Earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

John wrote: »
    Support +11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Dorian Gray , fantastic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

The Importance of Being Earnest and you really can't beat the Ballad of Reading Gaol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You should be able to get a book which has all/most of his stuff in one edition.

I actually have two different 'collected works..' at home. [1 gift, and one purchsed by me].

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Of the plays I'd recommend 'the importance of being earnest'. I was reading it on the dart and I started laughing and made a twat out of myself, it was horrible (in a funny way:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

John wrote: »

Me too,advise that one, first one i read of his, could have been written yesterday, if you ignore the horse drawn cabs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Dorian Gray is the best. A lot of his plays are full of that really fluffy paradox crap that gets quoted everywhere (which is why a whole lot of people like him in the first place), but The Picture of Dorian Gray (while it has that too), is a great novel. In the broad sense. One of the best around.

And, if I'm not very much mistaken, his only novel.

Advertisement