Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standards conversion

• 09-11-2007 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I just read on-line that Ireland's TV standard is PAL I? How is this different from PAL.

Basically I've made some DVDs in DVD Studio Pro to bring with me and I want to make sure that I converted them correctly from NTSC. I just used a standard PAL preset in DVD Studio Pro.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

correct me if i'm worng but itsn't pal-i, pal-b/g only really to do with broadcast and tuners in the tv. Something to do with how the sound is carried.

Also ntsc dvds will play in most pal dvd players (the reverse is not true), and likewise most new tv (last 10yrs or so) should be able to handle the video freq.

You will find that alot of dvd's produced in this country for tv programmes, comedians etc are done as ntsc and marked up as pal colour - it's total reliant on the tv's being able to handle the 50hz signal correctly. Personally i'm not a fan of this ba$tardised format, but some people just like it as it's a cheaper way of producing a dvd to sell all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Personally not familiar with PAL-I (there are PAL variants called PAL-M and PAL-N alright).

Your standard PAL DVDs will play fine. But as decob says, your NTSC originals will play fine too on PAL players

It's really not worth converting DVDs these days for anything but commercial products.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you are fine, we are PAL-I, but all the PAL systems are pretty interoperable except for PAL-M (Brazil). There are minor details in the difference nearly all related to broadcast and the letter is an ITU thing.

As decob says the only issue with our variant is where the sounds is on an RF broadcast, which wouldn't affect you.

Advertisement