Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long should a clutch last?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Approximately how long should a new clutch last?

I got the clutch replaced on my ford focus in January of this year (less than 10,000 miles ago) and it seems to be on the way out again. It is slipping when starting on step hills (especially coming out the underground car park in my apartment block) and jerky on release after gear changes.

This seems a bit soon? Or is it just bad luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How long should a set of brakes last?

It really depends on how you drive it. 10,000 miles is very soon but not unbelievable if you're very rough on it.

It may just need some tweaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

My parent's car ('00 Mazda 626) still has the same clutch in it from new, and it now has 160,000 miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

10,000 does seem pretty low, I just had to change mine at 116K miles. Get it checked out before it gets down to the bolts and it eats in to your flywheel. That's from personal, recent and expensive experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Do you ride the clutch? ie drive with your left foot on the clutch pedal a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Check that you are not loosing clutch hydraulic fluid. Inspect the little gap between the gearbox and the engine underneath the car. If this looks wet at all most likely your slave cylinder is leaking (v.common on all Focus's).

This will cause the clutch to retract even when you have the pedal all the way to the floor which in turn is the same as "riding" the clutch.

Or if your givving it hell it wont last long :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Definitely not giving it hell or riding the clutch. Will get it checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

not being smart but it could be your driving,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Should last longer then 10,000!! Mine car has 176,000, still has its original clutch and clutch cable , Can't beat the Japs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like driver error if you've gone through 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

jimogr wrote: »
    Approximately how long should a new clutch last?

It is slipping when starting on step hills (especially coming out the underground car park in my apartment block)

This could be the problem. inching up car park ramps would be hard on a clutch

• Advertisement
Advertisement