Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuarance Question

Options
  • 09-11-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is a bit of a newbie question (insurance related), but just want to get one or 2 things straight!

I'm 24, on my first provisional (hoping to sit test within 4-6 weeks) and driving since last christmas. Insurance and tax is up in the last week of Dec.

So here is my issue.
    I'm 25 in the second week of January. If i renew in December (2 weeks before birthday) will I be paying more than if I renewed 2 weeks later?? (Isn't 25 a kind of benchmark age according to insurance companies??)

Any advice/corrections appreciated lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fizman wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a bit of a newbie question (insurance related), but just want to get one or 2 things straight!

I'm 24, on my first provisional (hoping to sit test within 4-6 weeks) and driving since last christmas. Insurance and tax is up in the last week of Dec.

So here is my issue.
    I'm 25 in the second week of January. If i renew in December (2 weeks before birthday) will I be paying more than if I renewed 2 weeks later?? (Isn't 25 a kind of benchmark age according to insurance companies??)

Any advice/corrections appreciated lads!

It seems like the magical age for male motorists rises every year, but certainly I would expect a discount because you're older - even it was 24 instead of 23. I think my insurance went down £700 because I waited till my 22nd birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ya thats what I was thinking alright. Its the 2 week gap thats killing me though. Any longer and I wouldnt really mind, any shorter and i'd definately hold out. What do I do now just cycle for 2 weeks then get insured? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fizman wrote: »
    Ya thats what I was thinking alright. Its the 2 week gap thats killing me though. Any longer and I wouldnt really mind, any shorter and i'd definately hold out. What do I do now just cycle for 2 weeks then get insured? :confused:

You could ring up twice and give 24 and 25 as your age and see what the difference is, and whether it's worth your while hanging on. 2 weeks isn't that long to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

1) Get your insurance in December
    2) Near your birthday get quotes
    3) If you're going to save money - cancel your insurance and get the new one.

There shouldn't really be much difference but then again some insurance companies may have 25 as the golden age where prices standardize.

N.B. if you cancel your insurance (i believe) you're entitled to a pro rated return (i.e. the amount of cash you havn't spent yet)

should be (365-days left on cover)*Premium

Advertisement