Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DNS Config problem

• 09-11-2007 5:08pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Firstly forgive me for my lameness but I've been using Linux for about 3 days now and my knowledge is very, very limited :)

My boss would like me to give an in-house demo of a program that he found on the Internet. OpenIMS runs only on linux so I :

1. Downloaded a distro (the latest Mandriva, a random choice)
    2. Downloaded and installed all the RPM packages that OpenIMS needs
    3. Downloaded and compiled the OpenIMS package (SVN package)
    4. Installed my DNS server (bind)

Unfortunatly when I followed the instructions to add a host (open-ims.test) to point to 127.0.0.1 it just doesn't seem to work and I don't know enough about the OS to now how to troubleshoot.

This webpage explains the entire install process :

http://www.openimscore.org/installation_guide

and here is the DNS bit (at the end of that link)

Install bind
    Locate and modify named.conf to include :
    zone "open-ims.test" IN {
    	type master;
    	file "pri/open-ims.dnszone";
    	notify no;

Copy open-ims.dnszone to the correct location (pri)
    Restart DNS server

Dig command to test that it works

Modif the rersolv.conf file to use the "open-ims.test" URL

No matter what I try the dig command doesn't work
    [root@localhost resolvconf]# dig pcscf.open-ims.test

; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1 <<>> pcscf.open-ims.test
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 9988
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;pcscf.open-ims.test.           IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    .                       6787    IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2007110801 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 2 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.162.6#53(192.168.162.6)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Nov  9 16:52:26 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 112

and my nslookup gives me
    Server:         192.168.162.6
    Address:        192.168.162.6#53

** server can't find open-ims.test.open-ims.test: NXDOMAIN

So I presume that when I try a "ping open-ims.test" that the machine tests the hosts file first and if it doesn't find any info it looks in the named.conf where it finds a reference to a file which is loads to get the IP address associated with open-ims.test

Is this right ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Look at /etc/nsswitch.conf

It will tell you what way the things are resolved.

Can you post the contents along with /etc/hosts and resolv.conf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Is there a reason you can't just add the name to the local hosts file (/etc/hosts) instead of setting up a full-blown DNS server for a local name?

Also, I don't think 'open-ims.test' is an FQDN, so probably won't work - are you trying to use this as the hostname, or 'pcscf.open-ims.test' as you have in your named.conf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Fruitlover I was thinking the same until I looked at the installation guide:

" If you think that /etc/hosts would be enough, you are wrong as it can not help you with special DNS queries like NAPTR and SRV. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Ah, OK, didn't bother reading the link - makes more sense now.

OP, it looks like your PC is trying to query an upstream server (192.168.162.6) for the domain open-ims.test - unless this is the DNS server you're trying to set up, it won't work.

You probably haven't edited your resolv.conf correctly, can you post it up? It should read:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
    search open-ims.test
    domain open-ims.test

You might also attach your named.conf for us to check

Also: bear in mind that different distros will set up packages (e.g. bind) differently, so make sure you're putting the bind config files in the right place!

Advertisement