Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bounty of the Harvest.

• 09-11-2007 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

How do you prepare what's in the game bag.

When the weather is fine this is how I enjoy preparing game. Makes my wife happy as it frees her from the kitchen.
    A good wine or a bottle of your favorite brew?
    How do you enjoy it?

Farmers & Game Shooters Mixed Grill.

1934213515_9020bbc47c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

that looks good - hungry again:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How do you prepare what's in the game bag.

When the weather is fine this is how I enjoy preparing game. Makes my wife happy as it frees her from the kitchen.
    A good wine or a bottle of your favorite brew?
    How do you enjoy it?

Farmers & Game Shooters Mixed Grill.

1934213515_9020bbc47c.jpg
    what do you have there exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

there's a dead cow and a dead pig anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Mellor,
    A couple of snipe, a grouse, teal, wood pigeon and sirloin (year & half home grown heifer). The birds are quartered or cut up into manageable pieces and wrapped in thick rashers. I usually cut up vegetables and potatoes and roast them in the oven or wrap them in heavy foil and put them on the grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

pegion burgers are lovely too if you put some wild garlic in with the mix and a tiny bit of balsamic vinnegar pepper and salt and bbq them but also nice off a char grill pan

the breast is also nice if you put some marmalade and a smoked rasher ,a quick blast of a hot pan to seal and oven cook them

venison roast soaked in guiness and covered in oil ,salt and pepper rubed in and slow roasted in as fan oven.

rabbit burgers are nice too,mince up and mix with sage ond some onion finely chopped and a good hot pan with little oil.

Anybody ever make a clay oven for roasting game?
    id like to make 1 but you would have to have a few to enjoy around as it would be alot of hassel just for yourslf

get a loaf tin line with streaky put a layer of sausage meat, layer of phesant, more sausage meat ,pegion breast,more sausage meat,layer of rabbit and then a small bit of sausage meat to finish off wrap the streaky bacon around the top to seal the flavour then place the loaf tin in some water in the oven and cook slowly and gobble till your fat and lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

Some good recipes here for all types of Quarry....
    http://www.backwoodsbound.com/recipe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A very quick and simple pheasant recipe, ready in a few minutes :

- Skin and bone breast and thighs, cut into 3/4" strips.

- Brown hot and fast in sizzling butter and/or good olive oil.

- When meat is lightly browned, add sliced shallot, or onion, garlic - Do not burn the garlic.

_ Remove the meat from the pan.

_ Deglaze with a little burgundy, whiskey or stock, whisk in a pad of butter at the end.

- Remove from heat and serve while the interior of the meat is still pink.

Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.

Ready in a few minutes if one has potato and veg. prepped on the wings, be prepared to work fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

stop, stop. I can smell the food from here!! Where did i place that mars bar:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Sorry I know this is probably in the wrong page but the cooking page is well too slow and the clock is ticking. The duck I got is free range so could have been shot;)

If anyone could help that would be great. I just bought half a duck from the butcher. I have no clue about duck so I asked her how to cook it. She said to wrap it in foil put it on a rack in the oven for about 30min then take the foil off base it in the fat and cook for another 15min.
    I thought that sounded easy but only realised when I got home I forgot to ask at what temperature.

Does anybody know? I have to put it in the oven soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I would go with about 230c (450f?) gas mark 8. Pre heat the oven. Roast duck is my alltime favourite....drool...Bon appetite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Cheers for that Chuileog your a life saver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Your welcome hope its a sucess. Its generally better to serve duck on the rare side but def try to avoid over cooking. Sooner hav to put back into oven for ten mins longer than drying it out. Basting every few mins with the fat should give it a lovely crispy brown skin. Another good trick is to halve or quarter an onion, put the pieces into the baking tray balance the bird on top and cook. It allows the fat to drip free and prevents the bird sticking to the tray. I want roast duck now!!!

Advertisement