Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the best horsey flick ever???

Options
  • 09-11-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

thought id start a horsey film pole :D

What would you say is the best horsey film you have seen and why?

have to say for me , national velvet, classic with pharlap a close 2nd :rolleyes:

What is the best horsey flick ever? 49 votes

Black Beauty
    0% 0 votes
    The Horse Whisperer
    22% 11 votes
    Seabiscuit
    12% 6 votes
    Pharlap
    16% 8 votes
    Dreamer
    14% 7 votes
    National Velvet
    2% 1 vote
    International Velvet
    6% 3 votes
    The Black Stallion
    10% 5 votes
    Spirit
    16% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Seabiscuit!!!

Fell asleep during the Horse Whisperer:o

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fillie

do u do any work?? dosser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Fillie wrote: »
    do u do any work?? dosser

:eek:
    For shame!

I'm flat out obviously!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I havent seen them all, but I kind of like Hidalgo even though its ridiculous.

Black Stallion is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Black Beauty is my fave, but I can't watch it, it always makes me bawl!!

Thats probably cos he looks like my babe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Pharlap for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

finbarrk wrote: »
    Pharlap for me.

Me too.. breaks my heart but still...

Poll added

I havent seen Phar Lap (or Dreamer or Spirit for that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FLASHDANCE

Oh oh they are all my fav, but i have to say i havnt ever seen phar lap
    Dreamer is probably my fav its its just a nice story
    Seabiscuit i loved aswell for me dreamer and seabiscuit where a little similar storylines
    Horse Whisper i loved it was good
    Black Beauty it wouldnt be my fav coz there is so many different versions of it but how and ever its good it does bring a tear to the eye,
    Spirit now that brought a tear to my eye and it was animated god im a sado ha
    International Velvet the most impossible dvd to get but i soo loved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Pharlap every time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

International velvet, the horse whisperer & black beauty :D I haven't seen national velvet though lol. another good film was one called Run Virginia Run I think. It was about this girl and her horse trying to beat this horrible snobby boy who always cheated in an endurance race. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Black Beauty (the Warner Bros version only, all others are ****e), with Seabiscuit a very close second.

I love Black Beauty as it is all from the horses' point of view, something that is lacking in Seabiscuit. There is too much about Red/Charles/Tom and not enough about Seabiscuit.

Dreamer was terrible, too far fetched and I can't stand Dakota Fanning, far too precocious. Flicka was terrible too. "Daddy you don't understand!!! I love the horse!!! Can't you see we have the same spirit!!!".

Where was Into the West in the poll? That was a beautiful film, especially the opening scenes of the horse galloping down the beach in the moonlight.

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Flicka was terrible too. "Daddy you don't understand!!! I love the horse!!! Can't you see we have the same spirit!!!".

If you manage to track down a copy, try and watch the original.

It from back in the 50's (I think?), and in black and white, and is a lovely film...it also follows the book a lot closer than the current re-release version....which follows the book, oh, nearly as far as the title, and seems to forget there's a whole storyline... :rolleyes:

The series of books are a good read too....'My Friend Flicka', 'Thunderhead' etc. A nice easy-reading series for some feel good reading.

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Where was Into the West in the poll? That was a beautiful film, especially the opening scenes of the horse galloping down the beach in the moonlight.

Ah one of the first films I ever saw in the old Savoy No.1. My big sister brought me.

I still cry when I see it (I know... I'm a numpty :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

It was given out free in a Sunday paper the weekend the Ballymun flats were pulled down. I dunno if it was just me but I always thought the kid's name was Tayto, after the crisps!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

whats pharlap never heard of it?
    I love international velvet. why is it that all horsey films are so sad? I cant watch black beauty or into the west. We need a happy horse film

whats pharlap never heard of it?

Pharlap was a famous Australian racehorse in the 1920's. The film is loosely based on his life story.

He was written off as a no-hoper, but one trainer saw something the others missed, and devoted himself to making the horse run.

He had a breakthrough, and became unbeatable. The Aussie nation took him to their hearts....but some other elements of society didn't...noteably the bookies, who were losing big time everytime he ran.

There were a couple of plots to kill him, that no-one owned up to. Including an attempted shooting in 1930.

His death was mysterious. Some put it down to complications during colic, but other theories involve poisoning.

After he died it was found that his heart was almost double the size of a normal horse, and I believe it is on show in an Australian museum. Many folks believe his large heart was the reason he ran so well. A great 'engine' so to speak.

Here's his wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharlap

The film is brilliant, and well worth seeking out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

oh my god pharlap what a flick i had forgotten all about it. real tear jerker i remember seeing another flick called blue grass?? anyone recall this movie:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I loved International Velvet and Seabiscuit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I loved Black Beauty as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

Just to throw in a bit of controversy for any Aussies out there - apparently Pharlap was bred in New Zealand, not Australia.

Nobody's mentioned Champions about Bob Champion coming back from cancer to win the 1981 Grand National with Aldaniti!
    God I bawled at that film, but it was great! (I always bawl at winning scenes for some reason!)

napoles wrote: »
    Nobody's mentioned Champions about Bob Champion coming back from cancer to win the 1981 Grand National with Aldaniti!
    God I bawled at that film, but it was great! (I always bawl at winning scenes for some reason!)

Oh hell yes....I only have to hear the theme tune and I'm bawling :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I saw Pharlap only as a tralier as a kid and wa looking for that film ever since thanks to the internet I found it but never watch it :o

Into the West my fav but wasnt on poll
    The start and the end of movie of white horse galloping on beach beautiful..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

never seen Pharlap, national velvet or international velvet.

I love Black Beauty and Spirit.

Also, weren't a few horses killed on the set of my Friend Flicka (not sure which version).

Another one is "The Silver Brumby" with Russel Crowe:D

Oooh yes and also Into The West!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

How has no one mentioned Secretariat! Best film ever.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 monters

Into the west is great, but pharlap is by far my favourite- makes me cry every time! Was lucky enough to see the real pharlap in Melbourne last year--- what a horse!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The one with Elizabeth Taylor

One that isn't on the list is the one with Don Johnson, In Pursuit of Honor.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Agreed with Karen112 ! Secretariat is a recent movie by Disney and I was a bit iffy about rentingit as I'm not interested in racing at all and also in fear of Disney destroying it but they did a really good job! Highly recommend it to any horsey lover his story is unbelievable !

http://youtu.be/B4wvRAjTbm0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

For those that didnt vote Black Beauty I will find Ye and you will change your votes

Advertisement