Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction loops

Options
  • 09-11-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Anybody familar with the induction detectors used to detect the presence of a vehicle?

My question is whether a single channel loop detector can be used to detect vehicles in two zones?

If so I could use a single channel loop detector to open a gate when a car was inside or outside the gate automatically.

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Can you not get two and wire them in series?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

They cost about uk£120 each, hoping to avoid buying a dual or worse still two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

towbar wrote: »
    They cost about uk£120 each, hoping to avoid buying a dual or worse still two

Don't know if this would work, but could the loop be made big enough to cover both sides of the gate? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to upgrade, for example do you want something different to happen to the gate depending on the zone the cars are in? i.e stop closing and force open, or dont open ??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

No just want the gate to open in either zone - wonder would that work - an extra large zone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No it's unlikely, they work off the fact that when the vehicle drives into the center of the loop it generates a current. By widening the loop you reduce this current significantly and it becomes harder to detect.
    What you should look at is having two loops either side of the gate in series, and with a bit of luck it will detect the vehicle. I say 'with a bit of luck' as the second circuit will again deplete the sensitivity of the system as you effectively have two resistors in series instead of one, dividing the current in two. But this is better than widening the loop.

I would recommend a physically smaller loop with extra windings of cable to increase the sensitivity. You might look at the specifications of the system to see what resistance the detector is expecting to see, and try match this to your dual-loop setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

We have one in our job, it just about covers both sides of the gate, the loop sets up a magnetic field that is interrupted by a metallic object, I guess it depends on the max size of the loop and how narrow you can make it (if it is a small gate for a car the job would be easier IMO)

When you said "can the loop be made bigger" did you mean that out of the box the loop you have is not big enough? because if it is not then you could be in trouble, i.e. if it was your intention to physically add to the loop yourself?

You could also test it easy enough though, and 10.10.20s idea sounds workable

Advertisement