Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water based paint for wood?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    what are people's views on water based paints for wood, doors etc rather than oil based.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hargo wrote: »
    Hi ,
    what are people's views on water based paints for wood, doors etc rather than oil based.

hi hargo.
    my 2 cents worth.... the primers and undercoat in one are ok if using on raw timber.the finishes eg. gloss and satin are not great because there is more chance of seeing heavy brush strokes with them in the finish.
    the water-based varnishes i find good on new timber but if using waterbased stain my sure you seal the new timber with clear varnish first. it means you can sand it without rubbing the stain off in places and making it look patchy.
    if you need and more advice ask away and give a few more details of what your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Having worked in the US where water based wood finishes are the norm, I like them.
    I'd have reservations about using a water base gloss on exterior timber in our climate and I HATE those sadolin/ronseal water base "stains"...it doesn't stain wood, it just sits on top of it and filters a fake colour through.
    Water based lacquers and varnishes are great, especially where fumes and drying times are a factor (floors or wainscotting) and in many cases they are harder wearing than oil equivalents.
    Water based eggshell/satin/gloss for interiors are great, easy to work with, less likely to run, dry 4-5 times faster.....just don't buy cheap stuff.
    IME an oil based primer works better than the acrylic water based ones, but that's just me.

Some painters of the older school would run a mile if you asked them to put anything other than oil on bare timber, but the technology in plastics has come a long way...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Thanks for replies. I am painting white over white and i think it is oil based beneath but not sure. Light sanding and finish coat or good clean and finish coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi ,

Plenty of choice avaialble, eg a good hard wearing type would be water base eggshell but there are others. For outdoors, Cuprinol is a popular choice (from the makers of Dulux).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Thanks for replies. I am painting white over white and i think it is oil based beneath but not sure. Light sanding and finish coat or good clean and finish coat?

If it's an oil finish beneath then you should really, really be using another oil product; there may be adhesion issues or the finish may chip easily when dry.

Light sand and dust off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

Indoors- wash down the oil painted surface with sugar soap, coat of acrylic paint (room temp. 10-30c, warm paint tin in hot water if cold) second coat after 12hrs. Paint quickily as it has no wet edge time. Very hardwearing.
    Outdoors- Usless.

Advertisement