Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone worked abroad?

• 09-11-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

hi

have any ACCA qualified accountants worked abroad?

for instance, has anyone worked in accountancy while working+travelling for a year or anyone living abroad permanently and found an accountancy related job? how did you go about getting the job abroad?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ShellyB

Yeah I worked for 4 months in Australia, I'm ACA qualified and got a project accounting role with a multinational company. I went through Hays recruitment agency, you can email them your cv when you get there. Hays and Robert Walters agencies operate here and in Oz so you could send them your cv before you leave Ireland and they'll get the process started for you from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

ShellyB wrote: »
    Yeah I worked for 4 months in Australia, I'm ACA qualified and got a project accounting role with a multinational company. I went through Hays recruitment agency, you can email them your cv when you get there. Hays and Robert Walters agencies operate here and in Oz so you could send them your cv before you leave Ireland and they'll get the process started for you from here.

thanks.

id prob be more interested in the us than australia though but im keeping all options open at de minute.id prob be looking for more than 4 months(thinking of eventually staying there permanently)

anyone here or know anyone who qualified in ireland and moved abroad permanently - how did they get their job sorted?

any input greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Triple A

I may be wrong but i think in the US they recognise CPA more than ACCA? I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

Someone who worked in the US told me that you can work there with an ACA/ACCA qualification no problem, but if you wanted to be promoted and move up, you'd need to do the CPA exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Just to be clear, The Irish CPA qualification and the US CPA Qualification are not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

To clarify, I meant you'd have to do the US exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

erm.. not sure how should i answer the question... but no harm to troll this topic!

i move to Ireland couple years ago to finish my ACCA exams, got qualified and still lurking around here... i'm abroad now :D... how do I find it?... still a pleasant experience and of course the Irish people are charming.. more charming when they are not sober... :p on the other hand, i do find other jobs/sectors/fields are attractive too here...

have had consider to move other European countries - but language is a barrier especially non-English speaking nations... must learn German, French or Chinese soon! :D

Marty

t_ucd wrote: »
    Someone who worked in the US told me that you can work there with an ACA/ACCA qualification no problem, but if you wanted to be promoted and move up, you'd need to do the CPA exams.

thanks for all the replies.

i did think alright that there would be further exams to do there.im more concerned with how i would get a job+visa initially to work and live there.anyone know anything that could be helpful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

thanks for all the replies.

i did think alright that there would be further exams to do there.im more concerned with how i would get a job+visa initially to work and live there.anyone know anything that could be helpful?

Bigger firms do things called "secondments".

Now I dont know the full details of this but I think the gist of it is you work in a foreign office(I have heard of people doing it in New York, Boston, Bratislava, Moscow and the Caymans) for the firm for a period (6 months or a year or two) and they sort everything out.

I have even heard of them paying for accommodation but I am not sure if that is the norm.

I would love if someone with more knowledge could shed a bit more light on this as I am very interested too.

it appears nobody can give us anymore info babybing!

are there many places that offer secondments?

• Advertisement
Advertisement