Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks in concrete floor

Options
  • 09-11-2007 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I pulled up the carpets in my house to find some cracks in the concrete floor, is this common in concrete floors?
    One of the cracks is at the front door another is at the rear patio door & the third is in the hall beside the kitchen.
    Would this be just cosmetic or a sign of a bigger problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Hard to know what the cause is from the pics but cracks like this are commonplace and generally nothing to worry about.

Generally caused by shrinkage of the concrete.

Any cracks in the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

They look OK to me!
    At a guess, the doors/windows were cemented in later than the top screed was spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

I had a friend take a look at it & there are no cracks in the walls so it's most likely just cosmetic
    Thanks for the responces

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

In my job I deal with builders and developers and this is quite a common problem. How old is the house?

They would have to be wider than that. It is usually caused by shrinkage and it happens to newly built houses after about, in my experience, 8 to 9 years. If there was a bigger problem, like subsidence, you would see cracks in the walls both outside and inside.

The only problem with laying floor covering, i.e. tiling is that they sometimes cause movement. This happened to me in my kitchen where a few tiles didn't crack but there was slight movement. They were taken up and, yes, there was a hairline crack - that is why I hate tiles - because at some stage they will either crack from something you might let fall on the surface or this problem as described.

If you were really ambitious, you could have the floors repaired by this new substance which is self-levelling compound which would allow for good coverage but it is not recommended that you `cover `it for a while afterwards. But looking at the images, I personally think you have nothing to worry about.

Good Luck

Advertisement