Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop rip off

Options
  • 09-11-2007 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

I went into Gamestop today to pick up Gears of War for the PC expecting to pay no more than 45 and walked out again when I saw the price - 55 euro! There was a time when Gamestop offered reasonably good value but they seem to have gone the way of that other retail chain Game as of late (i.e. to the dogs). Another example was Flight Simulator X: Acceleration that was priced at 45 euro, when it can be had in other bricks and mortar stores for 30. What's going on?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some fools are paying those prices so they keep upping them. Also it's getting closer to christmas so they have more of an excuse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

where have you seen flight sim X for €30 in a shop? saw it in game last week, €60, or the deluxe edition for €75. ended up forking out €25 for fs2004.

Edit: just saw you were talkin bout the expansion pack, boy is my face red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Darwin wrote: »
    I went into Gamestop today to pick up Gears of War for the PC expecting to pay no more than 45 and walked out again when I saw the price - 55 euro! There was a time when Gamestop offered reasonably good value but they seem to have gone the way of that other retail chain Game as of late (i.e. to the dogs). Another example was Flight Simulator X: Acceleration that was priced at 45 euro, when it can be had in other bricks and mortar stores for 30. What's going on?

Shop around....

Cheaper to buy The Witcher in Gamestop or Game than HMV by a tenner.
    €44.99 Vs €54.99

I also saw the Company of Heroes Expansion for €30-€35 in gamestop as opposed to €50 in Game/gamestop.

In short if you don't like the price don't buy it....

Always shop around, you can usually find a new release cheaper in the "other store".

Sometimes it's cheaper in game, sometimes it's cheaper in Smyths, sometimes it's cheaper in gamestop.....

If not:just buy on line and stop moaning

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

noblestee wrote: »
    where have you seen flight sim X for €30 in a shop? saw it in game last week, €60, or the deluxe edition for €75. ended up forking out €25 for fs2004.

Edit: just saw you were talkin bout the expansion pack, boy is my face red.

The above mentioned is an expansion pack, you won't find FSX for much cheaper, but worth every penny IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@uberpixie I'm not moaning, I'm expressing a valid opinion on the prices in Gamestop. Yes I do shop around, I've just bought Half Life 2: the Orange box from India (of all places) for 25 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Darwin wrote: »
    @uberpixie I'm not moaning, I'm expressing a valid opinion on the prices in Gamestop. Yes I do shop around, I've just bought Half Life 2: the Orange box from India (of all places) for 25 euro.

No you are just moaning:D.

Price varies from store to store, TBH they are all a rip off one way of the other.

You do realise of that Valve recently deactivated any copy of orange box that was bought outside of the owners region?

A lot of people in America got stung by this: they bought cheap legitimate copies from Thailand etc, had the game week and then it was deactivated by Valve.

People affected by this also found there was a lot of hassle trying to activate a legal copy bought in the correct region after their cheap copy was deactivated.

Proceed with caution.....

http://consumerist.com/consumer/drm/valve-deactivating-customers-who-bought-orange-box-internationally-314690.php

Oh well looks like I've a week to finish Episode 1, 2 and Portal
    gonna be a busy weekend :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Gears of War was €54.99 in Game today.
    Cod 4 was €49.99

Was surprised as I expected them to be no more than €45.00 each.

Interestingly The Witcher was €5.00 cheaper in Extra Vision than in Gamestop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't think I've ever seen a shop increase game prices due to "fools" paying the previous price, games always drop in price over time, the RRp is normally the top price point while the price on the shelf can vary from store to store.

As a regular shopper in Gamestop Santry I know that some games are more expensive there while others are cheaper, on average they all are within a similar range with most other stores out there, while the truely cheap games outlets are only found online, but then you have to wait for the item to be posted and returns are more of a headache, plus I personally like to browse the games before I buy, just like I do with cds, dvds and books.

If Gamestop are really ripping you off, they are making you buy goods at over the odds prices or if they are selling substandard goods and refusing returns, they aren't guilty of any of these heinous crimes so hardly "ripping" people off.

Would people stop grousing about bricks and mortar shop prices, its the same crappy arguments every time and it always winds up with people being sent to play.com or ebay.
    Its getting really boring reading the same threads again and again, so please stop sounding like a 10 year old and be an adult and shop around.

I wonder if there are forums devoted to shoes where people post threads with titles like "Clarkes rip off", or devoted to God with threads like "Roman Catholic rip off"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I agree that Gamestop are a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I agree that Gamestop are a rip off.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I recently asked the teller in Gamestop at the ha'penny bridge how much Crysis would be when it came out. He checked the computer and was visibly shocked (he actually moved back startled) when he saw and then told me, "sixty euros". So I bought it from cdwow for €30. I still buy a lot of stuff in Gamestop, but I tend to stay away from new releases.

If Gamestop are really ripping you off, they are making you buy goods at over the odds prices
    Let me see, 55 for COD4, Gears of War and now, according to the last poster, 60 for Crysis. My point is Gamestop used to be reasonable (e.g. 45 for new PC releases) but more recently have being hiking up prices on new releases. In contrast, online retailers have not increased their selling price by the same margin, e.g. Play.com have consistently priced new releases at 26 to 28 sterling for some time now. Anecdotally, Xtravision appear to be 5 euro cheaper than gamestop on new PC releases, though I haven't yet seen pricing for titles I've mentioned.
    Would people stop grousing about bricks and mortar shop prices, its the same crappy arguments every time and it always winds up with people being sent to play.com or ebay. Its getting really boring reading the same threads again and again, so please stop sounding like a 10 year old and be an adult and shop around.
    I do shop around, if you took the time to read my reply above. Not everybody has access to a credit card and have no option but to buy in normal retail outlets, so shop prices will be of interest to them. In fact a website that tracks the prices of new releases by Irish retailers would be a great service. Of course retail stores have additional overheads that need to be covered but there comes a point when the price is no longer reasonable.
    If these threads bore you so much don't read them. Why not make a more constructive reply next time such as Azza's?

Attol wrote: »
    Why?

Everytime I've gone in there looking for something, it's been at a higher price then other shops.
    Sometimes only by €5 or so but other stuff was extortionate, like C&C3 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is why I don't buy computer games.

Well, that and the fact that 90% of games I try these days are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i never buy brand new games in a shop, dont see the point.....just wait a few months and they are much cheaper, or go online.
    Company of heroes is in the €25 each or 2 for 40 section now. the expansion is about €45...but you can get them both together for €28 online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, most of my experience is in console releases rather than PC titles, so fair enough, but I stand by what I said, overall the prices of games on all the bricks and mortar stores is broadly the same, save yourself the travel and ring the store and ask for the current price, if its cheaper somewhere else, tell them so, they may match it.
    For console releases Gamestop normally try to match the competition, when Halo was released they had it at the RRP, then Game was seen flogging it for 10 less so they matched it, no problem.

Just how much do people expect to pay for games anyway?
    I mean how much is too much?
    When it comes to PS3/360 59.99 to 69.99 seem to be typical, some stores do promotional prices for a time but usually thats the cost in most shops of the latest games, perhaps a €5 variance between shops but no more.
    I'm quite happy to pay that for COD4, PGR4 or Halo 3, I do buy quite a few of my games preowned too, and get even better value there.

Really, no shop can drag you off of the street and rip you off, and few shops will stay in business for long if they drive off customers with lousy prices.

I buy a lot of game for a lot of systems and I haven't felt ripped off, and I probably buy more games than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    €60 is the absolute maximum that I'd consider paying for a 360 or PS3 game, and then €50 for a Wii game. (I tend to only buy Wii games in bricks & morter stores)
    The interweb is great though, if a game is region free it can usually be picked up for €40-50

Anyway, we had best stop discussing Gamestop like this, lest we find a header tomorrow telling us that we are not allowed.

Well, even though I don't agree with the poster of this thread, I think we should be able to discuss and debate any topic or business we like, wouldn't do to be told what is and isn't taboo.

Sure it's nice to get great games cheap, but if you want them on or close to their release date from a bricks and mortar shop, you have to expect to pay, me I generally wait until they come in preowned, unless it's something really special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They do Price match you know...
    I find it really depends on the game..and you really have to shop around, as they're different prices for every game depending where you shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, most of my experience is in console releases rather than PC titles, so fair enough, but I stand by what I said, overall the prices of games on all the bricks and mortar stores is broadly the same, save yourself the travel and ring the store and ask for the current price, if its cheaper somewhere else, tell them so, they may match it.
    For console releases Gamestop normally try to match the competition, when Halo was released they had it at the RRP, then Game was seen flogging it for 10 less so they matched it, no problem.

When it comes to PS3/360 59.99 to 69.99 seem to be typical, some stores do promotional prices for a time but usually thats the cost in most shops of the latest games, perhaps a €5 variance between shops but no more.
    I'm quite happy to pay that for COD4, PGR4 or Halo 3, I do buy quite a few of my games preowned too, and get even better value there.

Really, no shop can drag you off of the street and rip you off, and few shops will stay in business for long if they drive off customers with lousy prices.

I buy a lot of game for a lot of systems and I haven't felt ripped off, and I probably buy more games than most.

The problem is that the prices are not broadly the same.
    I don't have a Gamestop near me, but for my last 3 X360 purchases the most I paid was €58 and the other two I paid €55. All of those were on sale in other Game shops in the same shopping center at prices upto €70 i.e. there is a 20% difference.
    For CoD4 I was going to buy it in Xtra Vision as its closer to me and wouldn't have minded paying an extra 5 to save me the hassle of driving to Liffey Valley, but when I found out it was €10 cheaper elsewhere its worth the extra 10 min drive. And XtraVision are generally good for prices compared to some others.

Advertisement