Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Woman shocked at price of petrol story

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    Not going to elaborate.
    I'm not looking for trade secrets here, I just don't understand. If I have it right from what you're saying, the distributors, Statoil etc, send out price recommendations to petrol stations on wholesale prices, but neither has final say. Nah, that doesn't make sense.

Is it not the case that one distributor, say Statoil, sell at different wholesale rates to different stations. The retail price of course is up to the station to set.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im not going to elaborate on the work I did.
    As for the pricing. recommendations are sent out. Thats all they are though - recommendations. Its up to the retailer to adopt it.

Im not going to elaborate on the work I did.
    As for the pricing. recommendations are sent out. Thats all they are though - recommendations. Its up to the retailer to adopt it.

Is it not the case that one distributor, say Statoil, sell at different wholesale rates to different stations. The retail price of course is up to the station to set.

This isn't top secret info. Yer man Conor Faughnan from the AA brings this up every time he's given the chance.

Are you saying that it's not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

milltown wrote: »
    ^ The mathematics of that are interesting to me :p

If everywhere else is making 1 cent per litre profit and he's making 67 cent per litre, that's 670% not 67%.

Sorry to be pedantic. I'll get me coat.
    Not so fast.... it's 67 times the average profit, so it's 6700% :D

g

The supply price is agreed between the distributor and retailer. Prices may not be the same for all retailers. This type of policy is in place right across the business market and not just in fuel.
    Im only talking about the retail price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

snaps wrote: »
    How can a garage get away with charging so much?
    Because there's a sucker born every minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

I don't know Dublin too well, but that Usher's quay petrol station is the only petrol station I can think of in the city centre (of course I will be wrong on that I'm sure). All the same, I'd say they think they can charge what they like cos it could be a good distance to the next station.

Incidentally, I notice that more and more petrol stations are closing down. I was in Cork recently and it was a pain to get a station near the city centre and I know there used to be more of them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

they all pay the same price , but some get better rebates than others

The supply price is agreed between the distributor and retailer. Prices may not be the same for all retailers.
    By supply you mean wholesale (like I first said)?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

Did anyone notice the typo in the article "a staggering €179.9 a litre"!? :eek:

At least I hope it was a typo ...it's only a matter of time with those cowboys on Ushers Quay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

She's a Fishtit. I bet if you examined her wardrobe you'd find even worse examples of rip offs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

OK from Dublin City centre: Lets say it's College Green.
    nearest petrol station out Pearse st : is the texaco on the right past the canal bridge still there?

out the N11 : I have no idea - past cornelscourt???
    in Ranelagh is the one still there on sandford road?

in Rathmines at the Y at the top is that still there?

out the N81 dunno; past Terenure?

is there still the cheap one near Jamses hospital? or at kilmainham?

N4 is in South CO Dublin if the Maxol's still there. ( Usher's Island excepted)

N3 is there still esso on the dual carriageway past the Halfway house
    N2 are the petrol stations Shell and A.N.Other opposite the cemetary
    N1 is the guy at St pats still selling petrol? he was as dear as the lad at Ushers Island
    Malahide Road no Idea - the one at Darndale roundabout still open?
    Howth road- No idea
    Clontarf/coast road - there was an Esso near the bus depot still open?

I'm probably missing a few here or there, but there's very few left in Dublin.
    if Ushers Island is supplying a service - that appears to be uneconomical, let him charge what the market will bear.
    Lots of other liquid's are dearer in Dublin. think how much 568ml Guinness costs on Dawson st versus say the Huntsman in Culahill... think how much dearer percentage wise they are in Dublin. not a massive difference I'd say...

yer wan is a tit for telling the world how much of a tit she is...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

N1 is the guy at St pats still selling petrol? he was as dear as the lad at Ushers Island
    No, he's gone!
    the one at Darndale roundabout still open?
    Hanging in there but I'd say Tesco must be putting them under pressure!

Excuse my ignorance but is there still a Shell in Donnybrook?

think how much 568ml Guinness costs on Dawson st versus say the Huntsman in Culahill...
    But going up to Cullaville for a pint wouldn't really make economic sense! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

There's a big huge feckin sign facing o'Connell bridge with 179.9 on it, she couldn't have missed it.

She made herself look like a complete arse, serves her right. Ha ha, 95 euro fill up, sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Believe, this makes me happy, and the fact that it made the indo makes me laugh out bloody loud. I've a fuel card, they're damn handy, and if someone uses it there, they pay below the national average, not the 179.9, nad if they don't, dear god they deserve the shock they get. I was a week on the roads after getting the provisional, and I started looking or cheap stations. Silly fcuking hairdresser...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Stekelly wrote: »
    Plus how does this garage manage to get it's own thread (filled with regular posters) every few weeks? It's the third thread this week its been extensivly covered in, we really need to move on.We all know about the prices, it's been there for years.

No mate.
    The thread isn't about the high prices of this filling station- I know
    that's been done to death before.

This thread is about the obliviousness of a foolish consumer to advertised fuel prices and how not shopping around can impact on fuel prices rising further.

The fact that it involves this filling station is merely incidental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Malahide Road no Idea - the one at Darndale roundabout still open?
    Howth road- No idea
    Clontarf/coast road - there was an Esso near the bus depot still open?

Esso in Clontarf is still open but it's damn expensive

If you are out the direction, there is one in Ballybough and another on Richmond Rd.
    I'd consider these central as they are just off the N1 and just past the canal.
    They charge around the going rate too.

I'd say the Richmond Rd station will be gone shortly-not much passing traffic and that area is being flooded with apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Actually iirc the owner of that petrol station owns the premises AND the car park behind it. So think how much that greedy b*stard is making. I grinning when I read the post from someone saying Statoil themselves have been telling customers to avoid the place, and aren't renewing their contract with them.

JHMEG wrote: »
    By supply you mean wholesale (like I first said)?
    Sorry I see that now - not sure what I was thinking then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've a funny feeling that next's week headline will read:

"Irelands illiteracy rates soaring" ... FFS check the price at the pump before you fill up, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I've a funny feeling that next's week headline will read: "Irelands illiteracy rates soaring" ... FFS check the price at the pump before you fill up, simple as.

More innumeracy i'd say in this case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

There's a maxol on constitution hill that's always pretty cheap, up behind the four courts near king's inn

Advertisement