Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Niall Quinn - Legend

• 09-11-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I heard a great story about Niall Quinn today.

There is a lad in my 6yr olds class who loves Sunderland so his aunt bought him a Sunderland jersey. The same day she bought it, she was in a shop in Naas where seh worked and Quinner walked in. So she asked him to autograph it for him but he said he didn't think it was his autograph he would really want so he brought the jersey back to Sunderland and got the team to sign it and sent it back.

Pure class

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Niall Quinn is a creep....

Who could forget that :D I have nothing against the man, seems to be a real fan favourite. Was really impressed by that story of him paying for the fans to get home after a Sunderland match. Not quite sure of the specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

That creepy idoit doing all those nice things for people. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Someone should tell him ye can't buy love! :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

As far i know he paid for taxis for sunderland fans back to sunderland from cardiff(i think) after a cup game.

Rail strike and i forget the specifics.

Always comes across as a bloody nice bloke. And he'd be welcome round my house any day of the week. Course... he'd have to behave himself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Archimedes wrote: »
    Niall Quinn is a creep....

Heh!!! Classic dunphy.

Story with quinn was a few supporters were under the influence so a plane stopped them from getting on and a few other supporters. It was late and they were standed, he paid for a boatload of taxi's to ferry them back home. Nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Shame he hasnt done for Irish football what he's doing for an English club....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Heh!!! Classic dunphy.

Story with quinn was a few supporters were under the influence so a plane stopped them from getting on and a few other supporters. It was late and they were standed, he paid for a boatload of taxi's to ferry them back home. Nice guy.

Sunderland paid for that, I doubt it came directly out of Quinners pocket!
    ...seriously though, he is a genuinely top bloke. Met him as recently as last Sunday when my brother got to play a match against him and actually marked him in the 2nd half(lucky fecker!). He couldn't have been more accomodating afterwards for pictures/chats etc. and even let us know were we he was popping in for a quick pint after if we weren't up to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

lordgoat wrote: »
    As far i know he paid for taxis for sunderland fans back to sunderland from cardiff(i think) after a cup game.

Rail strike and i forget the specifics.

Always comes across as a bloody nice bloke. And he'd be welcome round my house any day of the week. Course... he'd have to behave himself...
    No it was because easyJet cancelled a flight because of rowdy Sunderland fans singing "Niall Quinns disco pants" song on the plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

"If you wanna do Niall Quinn - Mother Teresa, you can do that on yer own as well!!"

Nah, the guy does seem like a legend alright. The guys on Football Weekly were discussing stingy footballers this week. Barry Glendenning said Quinn was an absolute gentleman who insisted on paying for their meal and gave the waitress a generous tip.

James Richardson was less than complimentary about Alan Boksic and Didier Deschamps saying they both wanted to be paid for interviews while he was at Football Italia.

However, Cassano did buy him lunch once - but didnt actually turn up to the lunch himself!

Seriously though, fair play to ya Quinn, nice gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Legends don't get arrested for drink driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Zing!

Ah still my first ever hero though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

FatherTed wrote: »
    Shame he hasnt done for Irish football what he's doing for an English club....

Spot on. In all fairness the whole Sunderland-Niall Quinn-Roy Keane connection has showed how fickle most Irish football fans are when it comes to football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Spot on. In all fairness the whole Sunderland-Niall Quinn-Roy Keane connection has showed how fickle most Irish football fans are when it comes to football.

Shelbourne vs Deportivo la Coruna

Attd 24,000

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and how clever Irish investors are when it comes to not chucking buckets of cash in to a moneypit league. Jesus do the EL supporters have to whinge and moan in every thread about the evil English game.

Stekelly wrote: »
    and how clever Irish investors are when it comes to not chucking buckets of cash in to a moneypit league. Jesus do the EL supporters have to whinge and moan in every thread about the evil English game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_Kelleher

Could be worse, could be bought by an investment company who spotted a tv deal long before english people did, do you still abuse utd fans over being 700m in debt?

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Shelbourne vs Deportivo la Coruna

Attd 24,000

kdjac

True, but at least they supported an Irish team in the Champions League.

Stekelly wrote: »

Me and you could agrue for the next 10 years about this.

Since we're going off topic I'll make one final point. Moneypit league is caused by "Irish" fans supporting foreign clubs. If the LoI teams had attendences off 10,000 moneypit it wouldn't be.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nor do they beat their wives and become raving alcoholics... Ohhh hang on a sec...What is the benchmark that we are going on now anyway ?

There was also an incident where a coach was on the way back from a game and was attacked by rival fans. Coach was trached and when he heard about it he had the team and staff coaches turna around and pick up the stranded fans. How much must they have loved that in the bus with their heroes.

I just finished a stint working in Newcastle for the last 5/6 months and he is loved up there, people appreciate what he has done for their club and the way that he treats both the fans and the players.

And as for whinging about him not pumping the money into irish football. You do not really think that he invested in the club just to have a hobby, they will have to make money, and they sell out most games (about 45k gates). There is just no way that he would make real money buying a club over here. May as well just p1ss it down a drain the way that the leagues are earning at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Me and you could agrue for the next 10 years about this.

Since we're going off topic I'll make one final point. Moneypit league is caused by "Irish" fans supporting foreign clubs. If the LoI teams had attendences off 10,000 moneypit it wouldn't be.:rolleyes:

Boo bloody Hoo.

True, but at least they supported an Irish team in the Champions League.

Don't kid yourself, most were there to see Deportivo. End result was the same though, Shels made money (pissed it up against the wall, but made it in the first place they did :))

It's all good though, Des is fighting the good fight.:D
    do you still abuse utd fans over being 700m in debt?

I don't rememeber abusing anyone about being in debt.

And as for whinging about him not pumping the money into irish football. You do not really think that he invested in the club just to have a hobby, they will have to make money, and they sell out most games (about 45k gates). .

heh

What was his job before becoming sunderland chairman?
    There is just no way that he would make real money buying a club over here. May as well just p1ss it down a drain the way that the leagues are earning at the moment.

Oh dear oh dear.....What a silly post thats 2 for 2 with the pool fans this week must be somfin in the water.

How will Man utd, Liverpool Chelsea Newcastle and Man City (more but cba listing them all) owners make money?

/I left out sunderland as they could make money albeit **** all money but still a possible profit would imagine the owners didnt buy them for that tho.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I have been asked the question a few times and as much as me wants to say yes , there is another guy telling me no. i really think that he is a nice man with a Fantastic PR consultant , because all his stunts are PR success stories like take for instance the example with the Taxis that was sports headlines the next day on the papers and sky sports Etc , It creates great publicity for himself and the club.

To the OP , to answer your question , i think his PR consultant is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Trampas

he'd be welcome round my house any day of the week.

He might even was your clothes while he is there with some surf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He's a nice young man, with a lovely smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Oh dear oh dear.....What a silly post thats 2 for 2 with the pool fans this week must be somfin in the water.

jesus eL fans are bitter....

not JUST directed at KdjaCL

Call_me_al wrote: »

Can you blame us. Seeing more "Irish" people travelling abroad to see football matches on a weekend than come to on average every eL game on a weekend.:mad:
    What an amazing football nation we have on our hands in Ireland:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Can you blame us. Seeing more "Irish" people travelling abroad to see football matches on a weekend than come to on average every eL game on a weekend.:mad:

Maybe thats because the Eircom league is muck, with muck football and muck players...

Oh and Quinn is a legend. I met the man while he was visiting hospital patients.

Maybe thats because the Eircom league is muck, with muck football and muck players...

How many eL game have you been at?

Another point people who "support" a team in england or Scotland don't seem to get is the eL will stay the way it is until each and every week the games over here are a sell-out, and that won't happen until people wake up and get up off their barstools.
    A ticket, flights, accomdation, transport, etc... for one game in england or Scotland would probably cost the same as a season ticket for most eL teams (well a student one anyway).:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I haven't kept count but I'd say somewhere between 25-30 games in all. It didn't make me want to come back for more.

so do you only watch RTE and go to see irish films?

i know this argument could go on forever but why does every thread about English teams and Irish people always have to be dragged down to this debate and it's always the eL fans that have to say something smart to start it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Niall Quinns taxi cabs are the best
    So shove it up your arse EasyJet
    Fat Freddie wouldnt do it for the Mags
    Niall Quinns taxi cabs

Call_me_al wrote: »

not JUST directed at KdjaCL

Nowt to do with that i watch more PL football than EL.

It was 2 silly posts by pool fans in the one week :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

IM A REAL FAN, I SUPPORT AN IRISH TEAM AND DON'T SIT ON BAR STOOLS, GRRRR!!!

Unearthly wrote: »

well that's true but only if you go see more than 10 games a year, of course:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Good god, the EL massive are on a crusade here on the soccer forum lately. Must be having secret meetings! Nice to see that they are immune from the regular rules though, you'd swear they had a mod amongst them!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

Niall Quinn is a gent, my great Uncle (Bill McClurkin) played for Sunderland in the early 60's after coming over from Ulster but hasn't been to a match for years as he is a poor pensioner living on an estate in Sunderland, Niall Quinn got wind of this when one of our relatives were talking about it, and personally got hold of his number, rang him, and invited him to a match with the full VIP treatment.

A real legend, and everyone up here (south of the tyne) thinks so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I am a season ticket holder for Athlone town for the last 7 years, havent missed a home game that without a reason for about 12 years, I go to away matches on a regular basis and I agree with the person you quoted, the eirc0om league is muck, the football is muck, 99~% of the players are sooooo bad it's a disgrace and in fairness, if athlone didnt have a team in the league I'd never bother my hole paying €15 to watch a bunch of uninterested amatures dispaly school boy faults and get paid €500+ to do it.

The Eircom league is at fault for the lack of fans, the fans are not at fault for the lack of watchable football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Jeez, you must be really pissed off at me...spent a grand travelling to Tel Aviv to see Spurs on Thursday night, AND as a Shels fans I'm not in Tolka tonight...;)

Seaneh wrote: »
    I am a season ticket holder for Athlone town for the last 7 years, havent missed a home game that without a reason for about 12 years, I go to away matches on a regular basis and I agree with the person you quoted, the eirc0om league is muck, the football is muck, 99~% of the players are sooooo bad it's a disgrace and in fairness, if athlone didnt have a team in the league I'd never bother my hole paying €15 to watch a bunch of uninterested amatures dispaly school boy faults and get paid €500+ to do it.

:D:D:D

Seaneh wrote: »

The Eircom league is at fault for the lack of fans, the fans are not at fault for the lack of watchable football.

Fans support clubs nowt to do with watchable football, Sunderland fans generally go to most of their games regardless.
    Jeez, you must be really pissed off at me...spent a grand travelling to Tel Aviv to see Spurs on Thursday night, AND as a Shels fans I'm not in Tolka tonight...

Start any fights this time? :D

kdjac

Start any fights this time? :D

Armed guards every pub door, what you think? ;)

I'll leave the rowing to the Krakov cash cows you're lot are hosting...:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unearthly wrote: »

I though real were spanish?

I though real were spanish?

:D:D:D

Got him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

hmmmm, you could of spotted a flaw in their argument. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eircom League...??? I don't think so...

I want to see quality...real football. Not chubby, unfit irish footballers who turn up to matches to play like 6 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

cheesedude wrote: »
    Eircom League...??? I don't think so...

I want to see quality...real football. Not chubby, unfit irish footballers who turn up to matches to play like 6 year olds.

Is Keith Fahey chubby? How about Dave Mooney? Pat McCourt? Joe Gamble? You probably don't have a clue who any of these amateurs are though, which is sad.

Is Keith Fahey chubby? How about Dave Mooney? Pat McCourt? Joe Gamble? You probably don't have a clue who any of these amateurs are though, which is sad.

Think he was on about keane so technically right except hes the best player in the league by a mile.

Joey who?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You're quite right Lebowski. Anybody who's any good is playing cross-channel, that's the reality of it. Eircom league is sh1te, even league 1 in England provides more entertaining football.

Who the fcuk wants to pay money to watch crap. Quinn invested in football, not EL rubbish.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You're quite right Lebowski. Anybody who's any good is playing cross-channel, that's the reality of it. Eircom league is sh1te, even league 1 in England provides more entertaining football.

Who the fcuk wants to pay money to watch crap. Quinn invested in football, not EL rubbish.

So if a player left a top side in league 1 to join an EL side what would that do to your theory? or if one turned down an offer from leeds utd to stay in ireland and play uefa cup football ? i would put EL as mid championship level meself.

Would fancy Pats vs any league one side and thats based on seeing both quite regularly ...leeds ftr*!

Whereas your opinion is based on well dunno now seeing 45 goals in richmond this season i guess.

* the r is for relegation ;)

Going back to the original point Quinn invested in football, dont watch sunderland much do you? Only claim to football they have is may possibly own one.

/edit had to check brighton were a top side in the league of one and they are.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You obviously don't watch many Sunderland games. They have some very good footballers, and play some good stuff, just because they are not winning (in the league that has provided finalists in the last three CL finals) does not mean that they do not play football, just that they are playing against teams that do it better, and even then they still try to play it quick and on the ground.

When other fans deride Irish teams for not playing good football they get abuse yet when you say it about a prem team it's alright. (call the double standards police)

You obviously don't watch many Sunderland games. They have some very good footballers, and play some good stuff, just because they are not winning (in the league that has provided finalists in the last three CL finals) does not mean that they do not play football, just that they are playing against teams that do it better, and even then they still try to play it quick and on the ground.

When other fans deride Irish teams for not playing good football they get abuse yet when you say it about a prem team it's alright. (call the double standards police)

Seen all the ones that were on tv, they are an awful side and my pick for relegation, the players they have are not good enough to play PL football (mostly irish but there you go).

PL is best league in the world, and anyone who likes football and thinks sunderland are a good team :O

They have 2 good players Jones and Gordon, and ehhh they dont play it to his feet if they did they may have more than 10 points, that guy is good, really good.

Derby Sunderland and wigan/boro for relegation. the latter depenibng on their new managers.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement