Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Niall Quinn - Legend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Seen all the ones that were on tv, they are an awful side and my pick for relegation, the players they have are not good enough to play PL football (mostly irish but there you go).

PL is best league in the world, and anyone who likes football and thinks sunderland are a good team :O

They have 2 good players Jones and Gordon, and ehhh they dont play it to his feet if they did they may have more than 10 points, that guy is good, really good.

Derby Sunderland and wigan/boro for relegation. the latter depenibng on their new managers.

kdjac

Carlos Edwards is excellent too. Comfortable dribbling / shooting with both feet, which is rare even in the top 4 of Premiership.

By the way, I agree that top Eircom league sides are on a par with mid level Championship. It annoys me the posters who say Eircom League is rubbish. There's a lot wrong with the league but the quality of football would not be the paramount fault on that list.

Why don't you lads go to a game once in a while. You might be surprised?

Just as a side note Keith Fahey should have been picked for the latest Ireland squad. I have been immensely impressed with that chap this season. I'm a Rovers fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PL is best league in the world, and anyone who likes football and thinks sunderland are a good team :O

I don't remember many people saying they had a good team, although I have not read every post in the thread. (I know I didn't, I just said that they try to play good football and have some good players)*

and as for going to games nunu
    have caught quite a few Sunderland games of late, and they try to play the game, they just don't have a team full of players capable of doing it.

*Forgive me if my response is not as you expected but am not sure what you were trying to say there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They are not really very good.

Highlights on SKy now watch how many times they dont play the ball to Jones feet and go with the work effort will see us tru mentality, no it wont its PL good football and work effort gets you tru.

Sunderland are not good enough, only another team being worse than them will keep them up.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

only another team being worse than them will keep them up.

kdjac

Well...Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Is Keith Fahey chubby? How about Dave Mooney? Pat McCourt? Joe Gamble? You probably don't have a clue who any of these amateurs are though, which is sad.

I don't pay attention to nobodies...I like real class and quality...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Must be tough on you to pick a team to support then , Do you change the team you support if they have a bad game ?

Seaneh wrote: »
    I am a season ticket holder for Athlone town for the last 7 years, havent missed a home game that without a reason for about 12 years, I go to away matches on a regular basis and I agree with the person you quoted, the eirc0om league is muck, the football is muck, 99~% of the players are sooooo bad it's a disgrace and in fairness, if athlone didnt have a team in the league I'd never bother my hole paying €15 to watch a bunch of uninterested amatures dispaly school boy faults and get paid €500+ to do it.

The Eircom league is at fault for the lack of fans, the fans are not at fault for the lack of watchable football.

To be fair you support a First Division team and there's quite a gap between first and Premier. You call 99% players bad. Bad as opposed to what? What are you calling good as a baseline for this comparison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

cheesedude wrote: »
    I don't pay attention to nobodies...I like real class and quality...

Hahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Kieran Richardson anyone? Currently out injured.

Local lad Grant Leadbitter is a player I like to watch. Has played for England at U16, 17, 18, & 19 levels, and has a good eye for goal.

I think Sunderland have a chance of staying up but Keane needs to buy a new right back, and a ball-winning midfielder in the Jan sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

cheesedude wrote: »
    Eircom League...??? I don't think so...

I want to see quality...real football. Not chubby, unfit irish footballers who turn up to matches to play like 6 year olds.
    I want, I want, I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

So if a player left a top side in league 1 to join an EL side what would that do to your theory?

And how often has that happened?

i would put EL as mid championship level meself.

Optimistic methinks. Maybe that's true (just about) of the top 3 or 4 teams in premier division but I couldn't see the likes of Waterford Utd. or Galway Utd lasting long in the championship. tbh. And what about EL div.1? Conference standard maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This debate is kinda like saying where you'd put the SPL. Personally, I'd put two of the teams into the premiership, two/three into the championship, and the rest in the conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gustavo wrote: »
    Must be tough on you to pick a team to support then , Do you change the team you support if they have a bad game ?

Think so. Some of them jump on the nearist bandwagon:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I met Niall Quinn at a bus stop before. I had just gotten off the bus, but because Im an idiot I left my bag on the bus... the bag also happend to have about 150 quids worth of games, CDs, DVDs etc in it. I looked up and saw Quinn and saw the look of "oh god, ive been recognised again, here we go" on his face, but being rather panicked about my missing goods i just completely ignored him and proceded to ring all my mates and my mumsie to come and collect me and chase down the bus. i got my bag back okay :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gonna throw my oar in here again.

Like I said earlier, I dispise the level and style of football played in the eircom league, howver, the English Premier League also full of **** football and **** footballers.

If Arsenal or Man Yoo aren't playing you're almost guarenteed both teams are sitting deep and trying to hit on the counter/long balls.

The only leagues I bother to watch (besides Athlone in the eircom league) are Spain, Italy and Germany.

I'd actually rather watch the dutch league than the premier league, even if there are less world class players, atleast they play attacking football.

There are far too many players in england who can't pass the ball 30 yards with either foot and that is simply disgraceful.

• Advertisement

blazes. I thought computer gamers were bad enough with their fanboyism when it came to pieces of hardware and their respective manufacturers.

I dont know about the Eircom League or its inner workings, teams, matches, players etc.
    I also feel I dont need to know as it doesnt interest me. its no big deal.
    I follow the PL mainly as it holds the most interest for me and, it's coverage is also the best over here out of all the leagues so i can see more of the matches, players and watnot... also I happen to be a lifelong pool fan so ofc im gonna be watching :D

trying to rub your way of thinking into other football fans faces simply cos u dont like the league they support is a bit pathetic... kinda like Xbox owners slagging PS owners for no good reason.
    Why is it that just about any thread here degenerates into "EL vs. the rest". i mean, do the main antogonisers (DesF etc.) really give that much of a sh1t as to cause all this hassle over whether someone likes bovril or not?
    the door swings both ways of course, but at the same time its all a bit pathetic innit ?

Jazzy wrote: »
    trying to rub your way of thinking into other football fans faces simply cos u dont like the league they support is a bit pathetic... kinda like Xbox owners slagging PS owners for no good reason.
    Why is it that just about any thread here degenerates into "EL vs. the rest". i mean, do the main antogonisers (DesF etc.) really give that much of a sh1t as to cause all this hassle over whether someone likes bovril or not?
    the door swings both ways of course, but at the same time its all a bit pathetic innit ?
    This argument comes up again and again. I don't think eL fans here go out of their way to rub people's noses in it, but Niall Quinn and his SundIreland Inc. shenanigans are directly relevant to the future of Irish football.
    If you call yourself a football supporter, yet refuse to go to football matches but cheerlead exclusively for teams on another landmass, then that support is going to be called into question. However many times you try to dismiss it as 'pathetic', that question will, rather irritatingly and inconveniently, remain.
    Maybe following football on telly is equivalent in relevance to playing Xbox or PS.
    Anyway, I'm sure Niall Quinn is nice.

SectionF wrote: »
    If you call yourself a football supporter, yet refuse to go to football matches but cheerlead exclusively for teams on another landmass, then that support is going to be called into question.

whys that?
    wheres that coming from?

to me it just sounds like ppl wanting to be smug and look down on other ppl for no good reason other then some issue of flag waving, which is sad tbh.

why do u question who and what i support? do u also want to question other beliefs of mine cos they may be influenced by a foreign country? do u know better then me or any of the other fans on this forum? if i decide to support bray wanderers and go to all their matches will that alleviate the problem and all of a sudden my support wont be called into question?

maybe if u, and the other members of the EL gestapo stopped looking down ur noses at us paupers then there wouldnt be such a negative response to the EL and half the problems on this particular board would be alleviated.

or u can continue to believe that you know better and rub ppls faces in that and more and more ppl will resent the league u love simply cos they will think the fans of it are up their own rear end.

if i decide to support bray wanderers and go to all their matches will that alleviate the problem
    In a word, yes.

In a word, yes.

but i dont want to because i feel no connection with the club and dont want to give up my time for something i dont want to watch.
    im using this "free will" thing which is all the rage nowadays.

no answer to any other questions i asked no?

to quote one of the EL supporters from another thread (KdjaCL) "but i understand your inability to see that im right and agree with it ;) "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I suggest EL fans watch the South Park episode "Smug Alert!"

You are damaging Board.ie's air

I win \o/

Back of the net!

:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unearthly wrote: »
    I suggest EL fans watch the South Park episode "Smug Alert!"

You are damaging Board.ie's air

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

Im from Sunderland and am living in Ireland supporting an Irish team (Cork City), where does this leave me?

By the way Niall is a hero of mine, and I see absolutely no reason it's not possible for people to have an EPL team they follow and still watch the Eircom League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

daniel3982 wrote: »
    Im from Sunderland and am living in Ireland supporting an Irish team (Cork City), where does this leave me?

Your safe, Eircom League hypocrasy is only one-way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Is Keith Fahey chubby? How about Dave Mooney? Pat McCourt? Joe Gamble? You probably don't have a clue who any of these amateurs are though, which is sad.

I dont have a clue who any of these guys are, and i dont want to know who they are, they werent good enough to make it in england, lets face it. What, do you think these guys would be playing over here if they had half a chance to go and play in england? And im not talking about the premiership, if a 2nd or 3rd division team came in and offered them more money than they make here they'd be gone in a flash. And rightly so.

Why the hell should i go and spend my hard earned money to watch 11 bums kick a ball around against 11 other bums? I like to watch quality players playing quality football, so i tune in to watch the likes of Fabregas & Rooney.

I think you need to grow up and get the notion of there being any moral victory in supporting your local team out of your head. They dont support you, theyre just a business and all they care about is your money. 'Supporting' your team and its players is for kids, its ok for an 11 year old to idolise Cristiano Ronaldo and have feelings of loyalty towards him and his club - because 11 yr olds are too young to realise the truth - Ronaldo and his colleagues are ridiculously over paid individuals who ply their trade in a money driven, greedy sport which is bankrolled by gullible people like you.

Im an everton 'supporter', and i love when they win, but i very, very rarely go over and see them play - Does this make me feel guilty? NOPE! All my going overe and spending 45 euro to watch a game would really achieve is to help put extra 0's on shareholders & players paycheques. Thats the reality.

/end of rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Fair play to Quinn, it was a sound thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Can we all please stop the El vs EPL , honestly getting boring now and its your money spend it as you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

By the way Niall is a hero of mine, and I see absolutely no reason it's not possible for people to have an EPL team they follow and still watch the Eircom League?

That leaves you as a true football fan. You support your local team but have to move to a new place so you choose to follow the local team there aswell. Here people laugh at Irish people who follow their local teams while they stay on their barstools or go across to England every week with a tricolour with an English clubs logo on it, some changing teams every now and then because they only like to watch good football. The Irish national team is apparently exempt from this and must be followed, along with Celtic for a lot of people.

bohsman wrote: »
    That leaves you as a true football fan. You support your local team but have to move to a new place so you choose to follow the local team there aswell. Here people laugh at Irish people who follow their local teams while they stay on their barstools or go across to England every week with a tricolour with an English clubs logo on it, some changing teams every now and then because they only like to watch good football. The Irish national team is apparently exempt from this and must be followed, along with Celtic for a lot of people.

yeah, ur a level 8 football fan whereas im only a level 5.
    whats ur theton level? im OT 8 :)

• Advertisement

damo wrote: »
    s? I like to watch quality players playing quality football, so i tune in to watch the likes of Fabregas & Rooney.

Im an everton 'supporter', and i love when they win, but i very, very rarely go over and see them play

/end of rant
    If Everton , perish the thought , stopped playing quality football , I'm guessing the logical course of action from your post would be to stop supporting them and maybe support another English team that are at that time.

yeah, ur a level 8 football fan whereas im only a level 5.
    whats ur theton level? im OT 8 :)

I couldnt care less who people support or how they choose to spend their money, its a simple matter of fact that people who follow their team through thick and thin are bigger fans than people who change team to follow the team playing better football.

I think that would be ideal. I'd say most eL fans follow a British team, as I do.
    But the vast majority of Irish football fans big themselves up by exclusively following teams from your country, and they look down on the likes of Cork City, whose players have more talent in their little toe than most barstoolers could acquire in a lifetime. Just look at the studied contempt for Irish football in most of their comments on this thread.
    Then they run around like axe murderers screaming for blood when their precious boys in green get beaten by Cyprus.
    And they call us smug!
    As a previous poster said, it's their money, and they just want full value for it. They are consumer fans, not supporter fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They dont support you, theyre just a business and all they care about is your money.
    'Supporting' your team and its players is for kids,
    :confused:

What?

I support Shels. I pay money into a fund to keep the club alive. The link is in the Shels badge in my sig there. I go week in week out to support the club. I drink in the bar to support the club, I do table quizzes to support the club, I bet in race nights to support the club. The club is a part of me. I couldn't live with myself if the club went to the wall and I was just sitting on my arse doing nothing about it.
    its ok for an 11 year old to idolise Cristiano Ronaldo and have feelings of loyalty towards him and his club - because 11 yr olds are too young to realise the truth - Ronaldo and his colleagues are ridiculously over paid individuals who ply their trade in a money driven,
    Let me tell you something about the players who play for Shels.

This time last year Shelbourne FC was a trainwreck. Players who had just won the Premier Division title had gone for weeks throughout the season with no wages. The majority of a 22/23 man squad walked away, the manager and his backroom team walked away, we had reported debts of anythinf between 6-10 Million euro. We sold our ground to a developer, and had no light at the end of a frighteningly dark tunnel. We were going to die. A club that has been around for One hundred and twelve years was about to go out of existence. Then our owner was diagnosed with brain cancer.

Christmas came and went, and still we had nothing. A week before the season started we found a manager, and he set to work on getting a squad together. Begging players to come play for us. Begging other clubs to send some players on loan. Begging some players to come out of retirement and don the red shirt of the once great club.

We got the players, and I was damn fúcking proud of every one of them the first day of this season. We scored two goals and drew with Kildare County. I'll tell you this, that was a better feeling than any league win.

They are part time players, who go to work during the week, and play for my club at the weekend.
    greedy sport which is bankrolled by gullible people like you.
    Nah mate.

You're wrong.

I want there to be a Shelbourne FC. If I want that, I have to work for it. I HAVE to pay for it.
    Im an everton 'supporter',
    You see, this is where I disagree. Watching a club on telly does not mean you "support" them. It means you watch them on telly.
    and i love when they win, but i very, very rarely go over and see them play - Does this make me feel guilty? NOPE! All my going overe and spending 45 euro to watch a game would really achieve is to help put extra 0's on shareholders & players paycheques. Thats the reality.
    That's the reality for rich teams like the ones that play in the EPL, for sure.

But that is not the reality in the eL.

There are no mega rich clubs (apart from Pats) owned by a worldwide base of shareholders.

I know where my money goes, what it's is spent on, and why.

It sure as fúck doesn't go into some shareholders dividend fund.

Oh and by the way.

To everyone, please point me to a single post of mine where I stated I was better than anyone else? Please do that, because I never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DesF wrote: »
    I support Shels. I pay money into a fund to keep the club alive. The link is in the Shels badge in my sig there. I go week in week out to support the club. I drink in the bar to support the club, I do table quizzes to support the club, I bet in race nights to support the club. The club is a part of me. I couldn't live with myself if the club went to the wall and I was just sitting on my arse doing nothing about it.

Let me tell you something about the players who play for Shels.

This time last year Shelbourne FC was a trainwreck. Players who had just won the Premier Division title had gone for weeks throughout the season with no wages. The majority of a 22/23 man squad walked away, the manager and his backroom team walked away, we had reported debts of anythinf between 6-10 Million euro. We sold our ground to a developer, and had no light at the end of a frighteningly dark tunnel. We were going to die. A club that has been around for One hundred and twelve years was about to go out of existence. Then our owner was diagnosed with brain cancer.

Christmas came and went, and still we had nothing. A week before the season started we found a manager, and he set to work on getting a squad together. Begging players to come play for us. Begging other clubs to send some players on loan. Begging some players to come out of retirement and don the red shirt of the once great club.

We got the players, and I was damn fúcking proud of every one of them the first day of this season. We scored two goals and drew with Kildare County. I'll tell you this, that was a better feeling than any league win.

They are part time players, who go to work during the week, and play for my club at the weekend

I agree with everything you've said but unfortunately there are too many fickle PL fans out there who laugh at the plight of clubs such as Shels.

I'm a diehard City, go over to games whenever possible, spend money on merchandise. Basically I live and breathe that club but I also love Shelbourne F.C. Have done since I saw them getting walloped by Dundalk at Tolka in 1989. Used to love watching them play Leeds (my dad's team) every summer and that love grew into me being a regular for a number of years. As the song goes "I've spent all my money on t-shirts and hats".

Basically the point I'm trying to make is that nothing beats watching football live inside a stadium. The atmosphere amongst the rival fans, the chants, the flares. I love it all and I don't agree that an armchair Everton supporter is just as much a supporter as I am. Love your club, not the football they play.

My mother is obsessed with Manchester too.

She watches Coronation Street four or five times a week, and the highlights show on a Saturday on TV3.

She knows all the characters names, she has a Corrie mug that she bought in the Coronation Street Megastore when she did a tour of the studio.

She has her hair cut like Gail Platt (although she looks like a twat, she doesn't care though) and dresses like Liz the bar lady.

She's been watching Corrie since the first day it was on tv, back in the 60s or whatever.

Oh, she was even an extra in the Rovers one time. That was her favourite memory.

She watches all the award shows, and Corrie has won the title many times.

And she, in her own words, "faaaaack-ing hates those cockney bastards in east-faaacking-enders, mate".

DesF wrote:
    load of stuff

thats great and all DesF, but how about u answer some of the questions i asked on the previous page there. SectionF didnt want to play, maybe u do.
    I have nothing against the EL, in fact if mates of mine have a go at it I make a point of telling them to shut up.
    In fact i also remember defending american fans who support the likes of Galaxy and DC when my mates where slagging them.

what i do have a problem with tho is over zealous fans who try and push and enforce their opinions under the precieved guise of being 'better' and attempting to sit on a high horse and look down on ppl and what they like and support.

And she, in her own words, "faaaaack-ing hates those cockney bastards in east-faaacking-enders, mate".
    :D

gustavo wrote: »
    If Everton , perish the thought , stopped playing quality football , I'm guessing the logical course of action from your post would be to stop supporting them and maybe support another English team that are at that time.

Everton play quality football?!?! What drugs are you taking? and where can i get some? :D
    Nah mate.

You're wrong.

I want there to be a Shelbourne FC. If I want that, I have to work for it. I HAVE to pay for it.

Well fair enough, who am i to tell you what you should be doing with your money? Likewise, who are you to suggest that people are doing something wrong by not watching irish soccer, instead choosing to watch a much higher quality product abroad?
    You see, this is where I disagree. Watching a club on telly does not mean you "support" them. It means you watch them on telly.

You're entitled to your opinion, but its pretty sad if you think you have to pump your money into something to call yourself a fan.

And just for the record, i make it over to goodison about once a year, and buy the odd jersey etc. does this make me at least a little bit of a supporter? please update me with my supporter status so i can go on living my life! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

what i do have a problem with tho is over zealous fans who try and push and enforce their opinions under the precieved guise of being 'better' and attempting to sit on a high horse and look down on ppl and what they like and support.

Who has done that?

I asked the same question a few posts back, but it's being conveniently ignored.

Much better to make false claims, than to have any kind of decent discussion though.

The Irish are great at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des,

Would you classify someone who goes over to the games a few times a year, buys a few jersies etc a supporter?

I asked the same question a few posts back, but it's being conveniently ignored.

Much better to make false claims, than to have any kind of decent discussion though.

The Irish are great at that.

Des, i assume this is me you are referring to?

Unless im mistaken, from reading this discussion i interpreted it as such that it was some peoples opinions that its wrong to support an english soccer team as opposed to your local irish team? And that as some people are diehard supporters of irish teams, they therefore are doing the 'right' thing as opposed to people doing the 'wrong' thing by supporting english teams?

Your thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

As a previous poster said, it's their money, and they just want full value for it. They are consumer fans, not supporter fans.

Yet earlier a EL fan said we spend about as much travelling abroad to just see 1 match as you would for a whole season ticket.

Value for money there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I am not surprised that this has turned into a EL v everyone else debate.

What I am surprised about is that no one has taken time to critisise the 6year old for wanting a Sunderland shirt instead of a Eircom league shirt.

the dirty little glory hunting b**tartd, he should go to the EL and stop being a barstool fan

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Des,

Would you classify someone who goes over to the games a few times a year, buys a few jersies etc a supporter?
    It's not that simple, for me.

Look, I'm not trying to have a go at anyone.

But I cannot understand how anyone can have a connection to a team from a city, a COUNTRY, that they are not from, or reside in.

I'm 28. My whole life I've had Shelbourne down the road from me. I went to games as a kid, but had to stop for various reasons throughout my teens, and then started going back when I was in my early 20s.

That's where it comes from.

And now, here's a counter example. My best mate, a guy I've known since I was four years of age., he grew up not liking football one little bit. The night of the ManYoo CL win in 99 he was off at some concert. I was in the local with the rest of my football liking friends.

Then one summer he started asking me loads of questions about football, so I answered him. He picked ManYoo to support, most of my other mates do anyway. Now, he's comical in the way he gets so angry and shít when anyone has the cheek to say anythign bad about "his" team. He even calls them "we" and "Us". I just laugh at him.

And then there's the in between. The lads who had the Liverpool and ManYoo and Celtic and whatever else pencil cases and school bags back when they were in primary, because their father or someone supported one of them teams too. My own father, indeed, is a Liverpool fan. I give him a hard time about it aswell. But they never go to games, have never been to Liverpool. WTF?

I know one lad who is a Celtic fan. He goes over almost every second weekend. Fair enough, fair play to him.

But for anyone who says "ah, it's too expensive to go" or some other claptrap like "I haven't the time". Too expensive to go and see the team you supposodely "love"? Get a grip.

Supporting a team isn't a luxury. It's something in you, something you have to do. Did anyone see that flag in Old Trafford recently? "Utd Kids Wife - In That Order" I bet you that flag isn't owned by someone from Crumlin, or Essex, or Singapore.

Des, i assume this is me you are referring to?

Unless im mistaken, from reading this discussion i interpreted it as such that it was some peoples opinions that its wrong to support an english soccer team as opposed to your local irish team? And that as some people are diehard supporters of irish teams, they therefore are doing the 'right' thing as opposed to people doing the 'wrong' thing by supporting english teams?

Your thoughts?
    Meh.

Irish people should be supporting the eL.

The eL is directly linked to the national team. Directly. No National League = No National Team. FIFA Rules and all that.

I think that people who pour money into the English and other foreign leagues, to the detriment of the National League, have absolutely zero right to criticize the National Team, or get upset when it doesn't do well.

Yes, that old chestnut is going to be rolled out "but the standard is shíte". Well, of course it is. It's run on a pittance. Put some money into it, and it will improve. That's sensible and logical. It will NEVER be as good as the EPL, but then we don't have 60 million people here.

For the two or three hundred quid you spend on going over to England for a weekend to watch one match, you can get a season ticket for any eL team and see 18 ot 20 matches, right on your doorstep.

Oh I forgot, not everyone is from one of the places with an eL team. Much easier to get to England to see a game, or down the local bar of course.

I know one person who is form Roscommon. No eL team to support does he? Well, he does in fact. He's a huge Longford Town man. Home and away, most weeks.

There are no rights and wrongs in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Niall Quinn is a ledge! You don't see him bickering over the merits of the Eircom League!

Hmm....i think you have some pretty hardcore, extreme views on being a soccer supporter Des, so we're gonna have to agree to disagree. Being an everton supporter is not something 'in' me or something i 'have' to do...its just something i choose to do.
    But I cannot understand how anyone can have a connection to a team from a city, a COUNTRY, that they are not from, or reside in.

Right....but i dont understand why anyone would want to go every week and spend their money watching low quality footballers slug it out against each other. Where does it end? Do you go along and watch your local pub team play each week? no? why not? is it because theyre ****e? these guys need support too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Perhaps you take football too seriously, Des. It's a sport. If you want to, you pick a team (often the same as your siblings/parents) and you watch them on the TV and go see them play.

Sports are more exciting when you have a vested interest.

It's irrelevent where you're from really. If you live in Manchester, should you support City or Utd? Is it just the team who's ground is in closest proximity to your house? Or what about time taken to get to the ground? Might depend on the bus route.

That flag was no doubt tongue in cheek, cos if it wasn't, then that would be the saddest person on the planet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement