Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Niall Quinn - Legend

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ya see DesF,
    I said this first
    Jazzy wrote:
    blazes. I thought computer gamers were bad enough with their fanboyism when it came to pieces of hardware and their respective manufacturers.

I dont know about the Eircom League or its inner workings, teams, matches, players etc.
    I also feel I dont need to know as it doesnt interest me. its no big deal.
    I follow the PL mainly as it holds the most interest for me and, it's coverage is also the best over here out of all the leagues so i can see more of the matches, players and watnot... also I happen to be a lifelong pool fan so ofc im gonna be watching :D

trying to rub your way of thinking into other football fans faces simply cos u dont like the league they support is a bit pathetic... kinda like Xbox owners slagging PS owners for no good reason.
    Why is it that just about any thread here degenerates into "EL vs. the rest". i mean, do the main antogonisers (DesF etc.) really give that much of a sh1t as to cause all this hassle over whether someone likes bovril or not?
    the door swings both ways of course, but at the same time its all a bit pathetic innit ?

then SectionF posted this:
    SectionF wrote: »
    This argument comes up again and again. I don't think eL fans here go out of their way to rub people's noses in it, but Niall Quinn and his SundIreland Inc. shenanigans are directly relevant to the future of Irish football.
    If you call yourself a football supporter, yet refuse to go to football matches but cheerlead exclusively for teams on another landmass, then that support is going to be called into question. However many times you try to dismiss it as 'pathetic', that question will, rather irritatingly and inconveniently, remain.
    Maybe following football on telly is equivalent in relevance to playing Xbox or PS.
    Anyway, I'm sure Niall Quinn is nice.

Then I posted this:
    Jazzy wrote:
    whys that?
    wheres that coming from?

to me it just sounds like ppl wanting to be smug and look down on other ppl for no good reason other then some issue of flag waving, which is sad tbh.

why do u question who and what i support? do u also want to question other beliefs of mine cos they may be influenced by a foreign country? do u know better then me or any of the other fans on this forum? if i decide to support bray wanderers and go to all their matches will that alleviate the problem and all of a sudden my support wont be called into question?

maybe if u, and the other members of the EL gestapo stopped looking down ur noses at us paupers then there wouldnt be such a negative response to the EL and half the problems on this particular board would be alleviated.

or u can continue to believe that you know better and rub ppls faces in that and more and more ppl will resent the league u love simply cos they will think the fans of it are up their own rear end.

SectionF doesnt seem to want to answer, but u as a similar thinking football fan might be able to answer.
    Just how do u get that shirt so clean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

DesF wrote: »
    Meh.

Irish people should be supporting the eL.............................There are no rights and wrongs in it.

hmm...can anyone spot the contradiction here?

I don't feel like i should be spending my money to watch anything i dont have an interest in. Its that simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

damo wrote: »
    Hmm....i think you have some pretty hardcore, extreme views on being a soccer supporter Des, so we're gonna have to agree to disagree. Being an everton supporter is not something 'in' me or something i 'have' to do...its just something i choose to do.
    Fair enough so.
    Right....but i dont understand why anyone would want to go every week and spend their money watching low quality footballers slug it out against each other.
    Because half of those 22 are wearing the Shelbourne Crest on their chests. In twelve months I've gone from watching the league champions to first division mid table mediocrity. Doesn't bother me though. It's still Shels at the end of the day, and it always will be.

If Everton dropped down to the conference, what would you do? Genuine question, and an answer I'd be interested to hear.
    Where does it end? Do you go along and watch your local pub team play each week? no? why not? is it because theyre ****e? these guys need support too!!
    Er, yeah, last weekend I was stood on a field watching a team called Vianney Boys playing in the Amateur Football League. A team played for as a schoolboy.

Also, I watched probably the worst team in the history of football for a whole season when Boardeaux started :D we're getting better though!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Perhaps you take football too seriously, Des. It's a sport.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If I may quote the late, great Bill Shankley.
    'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
    I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
    I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

If Everton dropped down to the conference, what would you do? Genuine question, and an answer I'd be interested to hear.

Er, yeah, last weekend I was stood on a field watching a team called Vianney Boys playing in the Amateur Football League. A team played for as a schoolboy.

If everton dropped down to the conference id still be an everton fan, but i wouldnt go and watch them. I didnt want to phrase it this way, but here we go: I have better things to be doing with my time than watching ****e, low quality football. I especially dont have time to watch schoolboy or pub football...ok so now its official, we agree to disagree.

/end.

Jazzy wrote: »
    Just how do u get that shirt so clean?
    Surf of course.

Here, I cannot understand what you are asking.

Can you re-phrase it or something?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des i agree with a lot of your points and you know that cause we had it the other day in a Liverpool thread.

What i think though is that there is varying degrees of support, some more "hardcore" than others.

Someone who goes to a game week in week out is a bigger fan than someone who doesnt.

Someone who goes 10 times a year is a bigger fan than someone who goes 5 times a year, its simple really.

Also different clubs have different traditions that should be maintained by anyone professing to be a fan of that team.

From my perspective as a Liverpool fan,

Anyone who claps half way through YNWA is foolish.
    Anyone who sings ****e soccer AM style chants in Anfield is an embarrasment.
    Anyone who reads the sun, is not a Liverpool fan
    etc etc etc

I guess my point is Des, that its all relative, you are in a lucky position that the club closest to your heart is also closest to your house! others aint so fortunate :)
    No one is denying your dedication, and yes you are a better calibre of fan because you see your team week in week out, but there is also good portion of fans of English clubs who go when they get a chance, and support their team...THE RIGHT WAY.

It is an injustice, imo, to lump them in with people who dont go to the games, are glory hunting, band wagon jumping baffoons.

Anyway, rant over.

Well.

There are people paying huge mortgages, have kids and what have you, who cannot afford to be paying an extra fifteen or twenty quid every fortnight.

There are always exceptions.

But having said that. There are usually lads down the pub on a CL night, my friends, and I'll not go on either the Tuesday or Wedsenday so I can afford the payments I make for Shels.

I'm able to afford it because I give up drinks one night a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Anyone who reads the sun, is not a Liverpool fan
    What about Steven Gerrard? Didn't he sell the extracts of his autobiography to The Suns sister Sunday paper The News of The World. Do you consider him a Liverpool fan?

Stevie is a Everton fan isn't he?

• Advertisement

Ah, I'll answer myself.

A picture says a thousand words :)

http://www.bluekipper.com/assets/images/blubber/toffee_gerrard.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah, I'll answer myself.

A picture says a thousand words :)

http://www.bluekipper.com/assets/images/blubber/toffee_gerrard.jpg
    Nice one Des, cue all the pool fans getting sick all over their keyboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pighead wrote: »
    Nice one Des, cue all the pool fans getting sick all over their keyboards.

Yeah cos no -one knew it.

Carra, Fowler and Owen were Everton fans as kids too.

gerrard was never an everton fan. that pic is real but his uncle put him in all the gear to wind up his aul fella, Gerrard was a kid, he knew no better :)

As for the NOTW thing, the News Of The World is not the Sun, different staff, different HQ, different offices. Same owner is about all.

They do have a limited connection with the Sun and there is question marks as to whether Stevie should have dealt with them.

IMO, he shouldnt and i lost a bit of respect for him by doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Blah Blah Blah.
    Support whoever want to support and if anybody else has a problem with it or want to go on a crusade and fight the good fight let them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

basically DesF,

Why do u bring into question another persons fanship? Do you feel that you have some sort of authority or sense of knowing better simply because you support an EL team?

Why do you questioning someones loyalty to a team? If you know anything about footy fans its that their team is their team, regardless. you seem to have brought some sense of rules into fandom, which is stupid. I support Liverpool, why? I dont have to say do I. My conviction is strong enough that I have no need to say. You and the EL posse seem to think that you are in some sort of better (albeit smugger ) opinion of us paupers that you can dictate wat level of a fan they are. frankly, who the fu(k are you to try and dictate that and preach to us? its like those lads at the top of grafton street on a friday night who sell fear (religion) to drunk ppl.

Do you not think there is enough division in football already? or do u feel the need to create more locally?
    Do u not think that ppl would warm to the EL around here a bit more if they werent treated like spasticks by the gestapo on every thread? or is there some over riding need to justify your convictions amoungst others?
    tbh, I would not go near the EL with a bargepole if im hopping on board with those kinds of ideals. arent you saying that ppl should support their local teams etc. and go out and watch matches? I fail to see how you are doing this effectively when the EL posse just rag on whatever anyone says for no good reason. I wouldnt mind keeping touch with the EL, Im a football fan after all, but Im not going to go out of my way now simply cos the attitude amoung (from wat i can see anyway) the EL fans is that of being stuck up their own arse while riding the highest horse in Connaght.

maybe take a more progressive approach and stop trying to spread how wrong ppl are because of their beliefs and make up, thats just pathetic fear mongering. you never know, if u use the carrot more then ppl might react better then they do to the stick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Mr Alan wrote: »
    gerrard was never an everton fan. that pic is real but his uncle put him in all the gear to wind up his aul fella, Gerrard was a kid, he knew no better :)

As for the NOTW thing, the News Of The World is not the Sun, different staff, different HQ, different offices. Same owner is about all.

They do have a limited connection with the Sun and there is question marks as to whether Stevie should have dealt with them.

IMO, he shouldnt and i lost a bit of respect for him by doing so.
    Oh NOEZ I READ ZE SUN, BURN ME AT ZE STAKE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

basically DesF,.......

Worst use of the word 'basically' ever.

Why do u bring into question another persons fanship? Do you feel that you have some sort of authority or sense of knowing better simply because you support an EL team?
    Erm, where did I do this, in this thread, or anywhere else?

All I said was, and I'll say it again, just in case.

I cannot understand how anyone can have a connection to a team from a city, a COUNTRY, that they are not from, or reside in.
    Why do you questioning someones loyalty to a team?
    Where?
    you seem to have brought some sense of rules into fandom, which is stupid.
    I'm not the one who made a list in this thread, or the other one last week.
    I support Liverpool, why? I dont have to say do I. My conviction is strong enough that I have no need to say.
    Fantastic, and more power to you.

You and the EL posse seem to think that you are in some sort of better (albeit smugger ) opinion of us paupers that you can dictate wat level of a fan they are.
    Again, where did I say this.

If you choose to interpret my comments that way, then so be it.

I can assure you it is not meant.
    frankly, who the fu(k are you to try and dictate that and preach to us? its like those lads at the top of grafton street on a friday night who sell fear (religion) to drunk ppl..
    Again, I haven't done that.

Do you not think there is enough division in football already? or do u feel the need to create more locally?
    What?
    Do u not think that ppl would warm to the EL around here a bit more if they werent treated like spasticks by the gestapo on every thread?
    Nope.
    or is there some over riding need to justify your convictions amoungst others?
    Well, I was being asked questions, common courtesy to answer, no?

tbh, I would not go near the EL with a bargepole if im hopping on board with those kinds of ideals. arent you saying that ppl should support their local teams etc. and go out and watch matches? I fail to see how you are doing this effectively when the EL posse just rag on whatever anyone says for no good reason.

For no good reason?

We should say nothing when people have watched one or two games say "the standard is shoit, I'm not watching that again". There are reasons. One of the reasons is no money, there is no money in Irish football because Irish people prefer to pump money into the english game. That is a simple, true fact.
    I wouldnt mind keeping touch with the EL, Im a football fan after all, but Im not going to go out of my way now simply cos the attitude amoung (from wat i can see anyway) the EL fans is that of being stuck up their own arse while riding the highest horse in Connaght.
    Look mate. I've tried, I even invited a few heads from here to an eL game with me. Two said they would. None did though.

Anyway, I don't see why I, and others, should use the kid gloves approach. Oh please EPL fans, come to our games, we'd be eternally grateful. We love you, we want to shower gifts upon you.
    maybe take a more progressive approach and stop trying to spread how wrong ppl are because of their beliefs and make up, thats just pathetic fear mongering. you never know, if u use the carrot more then ppl might react better then they do to the stick :)
    OK then, answer me this.

What kind of a carrot would have to be dangled to get you to go to eL games on a regular basis.

What do you want?

Better standard of football?

Needs money. YOUR money.

An area of the ground where there are no "eL Gestapo"?

That can be arranged I'm sure, the grounds are half empty as it is. We could section off an area I'm sure.

Or something else I'm missing?

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    Oh NOEZ I READ ZE SUN, BURN ME AT ZE STAKE

Burning at the stake would be a bit harsh...but no liverpool fan reads the sun. and thats the way it is - anyone who does read and claims to be a fan is just plain wrong.

its worse than saying something like, i support liverpool but i like Utd nearly as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Meh.

Oh I forgot, not everyone is from one of the places with an eL team. Much easier to get to England to see a game, or down the local bar of course.

You’re spot on DesF,

I live in Kerry, the nearest EL teams to me are Limerick (1hr 30m) and Cork (2hrs)

Before this I lived in Mayo and again I was a least an hour from a EL team.

And yes it is much easier to go down to the pub and watch a game, or take a flight to London or Manchester for a weekend and catch a game.

The EL is far to Dublin centered; I have always reckoned it should be disbanded and franchised out to regional teams.

like it or not that may be it’s only saviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

It's not that simple, for me.

Look, I'm not trying to have a go at anyone.

But I cannot understand how anyone can have a connection to a team from a city, a COUNTRY, that they are not from, or reside in.

I'm 28. My whole life I've had Shelbourne down the road from me. I went to games as a kid, but had to stop for various reasons throughout my teens, and then started going back when I was in my early 20s.

That's where it comes from.

And now, here's a counter example. My best mate, a guy I've known since I was four years of age., he grew up not liking football one little bit. The night of the ManYoo CL win in 99 he was off at some concert. I was in the local with the rest of my football liking friends.

Then one summer he started asking me loads of questions about football, so I answered him. He picked ManYoo to support, most of my other mates do anyway. Now, he's comical in the way he gets so angry and shít when anyone has the cheek to say anythign bad about "his" team. He even calls them "we" and "Us". I just laugh at him.

And then there's the in between. The lads who had the Liverpool and ManYoo and Celtic and whatever else pencil cases and school bags back when they were in primary, because their father or someone supported one of them teams too. My own father, indeed, is a Liverpool fan. I give him a hard time about it aswell. But they never go to games, have never been to Liverpool. WTF?

I know one lad who is a Celtic fan. He goes over almost every second weekend. Fair enough, fair play to him.

But for anyone who says "ah, it's too expensive to go" or some other claptrap like "I haven't the time". Too expensive to go and see the team you supposodely "love"? Get a grip.

Supporting a team isn't a luxury. It's something in you, something you have to do. Did anyone see that flag in Old Trafford recently? "Utd Kids Wife - In That Order" I bet you that flag isn't owned by someone from Crumlin, or Essex, or Singapore.

The way people in general get to supporting a club is by becoming emotionally invested in how a team fares, this process is usually built up over time. You are being quite close minded by classing people who support pl clubs as not as much of a supporter as you.

You became emotionally invested in your club from seeing them as a kid and the fact that the stadium is local.

I became emotionally invested in my club by being brought to see them as a kid and watching on tv, there is no local club stadium where I live.

I dont see why my support should be considered inferior to yours.

Then there is the fact that plenty of people follow football not clubs, i.e. they support the teams that play best and they choose a team for whatever reason be it jumping on the bandwagon or they were the most popular team when they were kids or they like the jersey design whatever, all these reasons to support a club are as valid as "the team is Irish". Nick Hornby talks about it in Fever Pitch how sometimes he wishes he could take it or leave it as a lot of supporters do and only go to watch teams that play good football because when you think about it, it makes an awful lot more sense than blind faith and forking out moeny for what in essence is a poor product.

You feel that your club is a part of you, fair enough, this is your emotional attachment it has nothing to do with geography or nationalism.

You’re spot on DesF,

I live in Kerry, the nearest EL teams to me are Limerick (1hr 30m) and Cork (2hrs)

Before this I lived in Mayo and again I was a least an hour from a EL team.
    What about the guy from Roscommon who goes to almost every Longford game, home or away?

Anyway, forget about the regions for a minute, if you will.

There are over a million people in Greater Dublin.

Combined attendances for Dublin games is about eight/nine thousand of a weekend.

Football in people's doorspteps, and still they won't go.
    The EL is far to Dublin centered; I have always reckoned it should be disbanded and franchised out to regional teams.
    Teams that wouldn't be supported?

Kill off clubs with more than a hundred years tradition?

Yep, great idea.
    like it or not that may be it’s only saviour
    It would kill senior level football in this country.

What clubs should be killed off, and who would support the new teams?

OK, there are about eighteen thousand people who regularly go to eL games every week, give or take.

They would all be left without a club to support.

Because I certainly couldn't support Shelhemians, Bohemrock Rovers, or Dublin City. And you can be damn sure I'm not in a minority there.

Who, or what, is going to finance this new franchised league?

Clubs already exist, all they need is finance.

Every major regional centre has a club.

Kilkenny
    Waterford
    Cork
    Limerick
    Galway
    Sligo
    Athlone
    Louth has two.
    Donegal

Where would the new clubs be based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

The way I see the EL is like this. When I was a young kid(living in England) I was allowed to watch Man U win the 1968 European Cup Final, I've supported them since, I imagine it's the same for most other fans who follow soccer in another country. I've tried to follow EL living in Ballinasloe I even tried to go to Athlone this year but never made it but from what I hear I didn't miss much, why travel 15 miles to spend €15 to watch ****ee soccer when I can stay at home and watch quality on the box in the comfort of my own living room and catch the odd match at Old Trafford.
    I tried to watch it on the tele but any I saw was pretty dire too.
    It's really a chicken and egg situation I understand where your coming from Des I have an affiliation with the local GAA team that I can't explain but until the standards improve people won't go to watch the EL it's a pity that people can't tap into the thousands who go abroad every month and subsribe to SS but the product doesn't stand up regretfully, doesn't mean I'm not a true soccer fan.

You are being quite close minded by classing people who support pl clubs as not as much of a supporter as you.
    I really wish people would the names beside the posts they are reading.

I have NEVER ONCE said that.

Please, point it out to me if I did.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    until the standards improve people won't go to watch the EL
    How can the standards improve without people's money?
    it's a pity that people can't tap into the thousands who go abroad every month and subsribe to SS but the product doesn't stand up regretfully,
    Product.

What can be done to improve the product?

doesn't mean I'm not a true soccer fan.

Never said it meant that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Because I certainly couldn't support Shelhemians, Bohemrock Rovers, or Dublin City. And you can be damn sure I'm not in a minority there.

But why? They'd be your local team. Isn't that the entire point of this argument?

You'd feel nothing for them, id imagine is your answer, which is generally the crux of the reason for all the people who dont go to Their nearest eL club.

I cannot understand how anyone can have a connection to a team from a city, a COUNTRY, that they are not from, or reside in.

Well heres one quote.

That IS NOT the same as this
    You are being quite close minded by classing people who support pl clubs as not as much of a supporter as you.

I am questioning reasons, not "loyalty" or "commitment".

Jesus H.

Talk about twisting words.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    But why? They'd be your local team. Isn't that the entire point of this argument?
    Why would I, or anyone, want to support a fake team.

Could a Liverpool fan stand shoulder to shoulder with a Evertonian if those teams suddenly needed to merge?

I highly doubt it.

I fúcking hate Bohs, Rovers, Pats etc etc.

There's no way I could support them.

• Advertisement

And now, here's a counter example. My best mate, a guy I've known since I was four years of age., he grew up not liking football one little bit. The night of the ManYoo CL win in 99 he was off at some concert. I was in the local with the rest of my football liking friends.

Then one summer he started asking me loads of questions about football, so I answered him. He picked ManYoo to support, most of my other mates do anyway. Now, he's comical in the way he gets so angry and shít when anyone has the cheek to say anythign bad about "his" team. He even calls them "we" and "Us". I just laugh at him.

Heres another, what does the length of time he has supported them or how he went through the socialisation process make you superior because you went through it in a different way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

What about the guy from Roscommon who goes to almost every Longford game, home or away?

Anyway, forget about the regions for a minute, if you will.

There are over a million people in Greater Dublin.

Combined attendances for Dublin games is about eight/nine thousand of a weekend.

Football in people's doorspteps, and still they won't go.

Teams that wouldn't be supported?

Kill off clubs with more than a hundred years tradition?

Yep, great idea.

It would kill senior level football in this country.

What clubs should be killed off, and who would support the new teams?

OK, there are about eighteen thousand people who regularly go to eL games every week, give or take.

They would all be left without a club to support.

Who, or what, is going to finance this new franchised league?

Clubs already exist, all they need is finance.

Every major regional centre has a club.

Kilkenny
    Waterford
    Cork
    Limerick
    Galway
    Sligo
    Athlone
    Louth has two.
    Donegal

Where would the new clubs be based?

Cork city are one of the best supported teams in the country and they are relatively young and a teams that is the result of a merger.

the majority of teams outside of Dublin are 1st division, which is of a very poor quality.

What you need is an Australian type setup, disband the old teams and set up new ones all at the same level across the country

Heres another, what does the length of time he has supported them or how he went through the socialisation process make you superior because you went through it in a different way.

I'd laugh at that guy if he suddenly decided to like tennis and his favourite player was Roger Federer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd laugh at that guy if he suddenly decided to like tennis and his favourite player was Roger Federer.

LOL

Crime to like someone who is the best at their sport

Why? If I decide to take an interest in a sport, any sport, its perfectly logical and reasonable that I would like to watch and support whoever plays best.

We should just base all our sporting support on geography rather than proficiency at the game? hmm seems beyond silly to me.

Cork city are one of the best supported teams in the country and they are relatively young and a teams that is the result of a merger.
    Right fair enough.

The difference is this, though.

Two senior level teams weren't disbanded and merge in Cork. There was no senior team in Cork at the time CCFC were elected to the League.
    the majority of teams outside of Dublin are 1st division, which is of a very poor quality.
    The majority of teams in the Premier are from outside Dublin.
    What you need is an Australian type setup, disband the old teams and set up new ones all at the same level across the country
    Why not just use the clubs we already have.

Are you moving clubs? Where are you moving them to?

Who is going to finance it?

These are questions that need answering if such a radical idea is going to be implememnte, otherwise it's pie in the sky talk, with no foundation in reality.

Unearthly wrote: »
    LOL

Crime to like someone who is the best at their sport
    Why? If I decide to take an interest in a sport, any sport, its perfectly logical and reasonable that I would like to watch and support whoever plays best.
    I'd laugh at that guy if he suddenly decided to like Bowls and said J Wong was his favourite player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No, what you need is proper marketing, Premier League sticker books got me into the premiership in its first season along with loads of others, fantasy football keeps people interested, these are the sort of things that need to be done, not disbanding teams with hundreds of years of history between them. Franchise football was tested with Dublin City, that didnt work - nothing will, would have been very easy for the Dublin GAA heads etc to jump on that bandwagon.

I dont have a problem with people supporting English teams other than that its money that could be pumped into the EL, also I find it very strange that Irish people are so nationalist in all things other than club football.

I'd laugh at that guy if he suddenly decided to like Bowls and said J Wong was his favourite player.

Again, why? is supporting someone because they are the best at the sport when you become interested not valid? Should geography just decide everything? If so why?

Why would I, or anyone, want to support a fake team.

Could a Liverpool fan stand shoulder to shoulder with a Evertonian if those teams suddenly needed to merge?

I highly doubt it.

I fúcking hate Bohs, Rovers, Pats etc etc.

There's no way I could support them.

I agree. But they would still be your local team, the team you would have the most connection to, being in the same region. By the way you were talking, they should be the team all Dublin people should get behind, over any other.

Now, that obviously makes no sense in reality for the reasons you outlined, but it gives an insight into how people get into following a club etc, and how there are valid reasons for someone to not be a big eL supporter. You were lucky in that you were raised in a situation with a team there to follow. For you Football IS Shels. Your heart and soul is invested in that club. Its just not the same for everyone though.

Im in Cork, but am from about 45minutes from the city. Wasn't really aware of Cork City FC growing up, or really even of the League of Ireland. Very GAA centric parish so most weekends were spent either playing myself, or watching the older brothers. When i took up playing soccer at about 14 it was for the nearest club, nearly a half hour drive away.

I got into soccer from watching TV when 6 or 7 years old, Liverpool in particular. At first i would never have proclaimed to do anything other then "follow" them. But, as with anything, it grows on, and in you. Spend your whole childhood watching a team and they become quite important to you. It doesn't really matter that they're from somewhere else when you become attached.

Now that I live in Cork city, i go to turners cross on a semi regular basis (maybe 7 or so games a year), just as I probably would with the local club wherever i live because i love football, I'll watch anyone. But I didn't grow up with it, so I don't have that connection i feel with Liverpool.

<edit> as for your buddy, I agree with you there, it is a bit strange to go from nothing to everything at once, and doesn't make sense to me either. I watch plenty of other teams on a regular basis, spanish, italian, german, dutch etc but couldn't ever get involved in them to the degree of their own lifelong fans i think.

• Advertisement

Again, why? is supporting someone because they are the best at the sport when you become interested not valid? Should geography just decide everything? If so why?

Answer this.

If you knew someone who didn't like football, actively avoided it in fact, who one day just took a notion to become interested in it, could you take him seriously as a rabid, anti everyone else, fan?

I seriously doubt it. I know I couldn't. He has absolutely zero history of having developed a "hatred" for "dirty scousers" or whatever.

I laugh at him because he said to me last week "Ah I hate Arsenal again, I wasn't that bothered about them last year, but I hate them again now".

Boggle.

I don't care if he supports ManYoo or Kilkenny City in that regard.

I'd prefer he pick Kilkenny City as his money would be going to the eL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Way to bring the thread way Off Topic DesF (again), but your arguments are once again, absof*ckinglutely hilarious.

How you can be so involved in a sport and a club yourself, yet cannot understand how other people can also be boggles the mind. Regardless of where you live, or where you are from, it is up to the individual to decide who they spend their time watching.

Some people enjoy winning, some enjoy high quality football (pl over el for example), some enjoy the local teams and getting very involved at that level, whatever it is, let it be, and stop painting yourself as some sort of martyr.

After all, it is only a game, a fluke of chance as you were growing up, could have left you supporting a rugby team, or a cricket team, or whatever, and i'm sure you'd be as passionate about that as you are about Shelbourne, but for god's sake, get over yourself.

Anyway,

Niall Quinn - Legend.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I agree. But they would still be your local team, the team you would have the most connection to, being in the same region. By the way you were talking, they should be the team all Dublin people should get behind, over any other.
    This probably is what your franchise idea would be tapping into, all well and good, but then you are alienating the eighteen thousand people who do support the clubs. People who know the club scene in this country inside out.

Incidentally, I'd support Shels in the LSL, I was prepared to before this season started, when it looked like we'd end up there.

Also, I attended Sydney FC games for a year when I lived there.

astrofool wrote: »
    Way to bring the thread way Off Topic DesF (again),
    This thread was off topic before I posted in it.

Anyway, if it bothers you that much, report the damn posts, see what the mods think.

DesF wrote:
    This probably is what your franchise idea would be tapping into, all well and good, but then you are alienating the eighteen thousand people who do support the clubs. People who know the club scene in this country inside out.

Incidentally, I'd support Shels in the LSL, I was prepared to before this season started, when it looked like we'd end up there.

Also, I attended Sydney FC games for a year when I lived there.

did you read the rest of my post? the bit you quoted was kind of the opposite of what i was getting at, hence the "Now, that obviously makes no sense in reality for the reasons you outlined" which followed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHUT UP THE LOT OF YOU.

All you teams are crap (except for Liverpool fans)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This thread was off topic before I posted in it.

Anyway, if it bothers you that much, report the damn posts, see what the mods think.

I'll leave you to report the posts, as I said before get over yourself, and stop trying to be a martyr for your cause, there's much more in the world worth getting so worked up over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Seriously both sides what the ****?

If you don't like the eL or EPL so ****ing what. Stop whinging about it in every thread.

For the eL haters, we know the standard sucks.

For the we support a team from our country we're great. So ****ing what? It doesn't give your opinions any more weight.

The ****ing chips on people's shoulders...

I don't mind the people that actually discuss the points but the arrogance of some and blind dismissal of others is pretty pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Seriously both sides what the ****?

If you don't like the eL or EPL so ****ing what. Stop whinging about it in every thread.

For the eL haters, we know the standard sucks.

For the we support a team from our country we're great. So ****ing what? It doesn't give your opinions any more weight.

The ****ing chips on people's shoulders...

I don't mind the people that actually discuss the points but the arrogance of some and blind dismissal of others is pretty pointless.

It has gotten to the stage where the EPL fans feel that the EL fans have a holier than thou attitude while the EL fans get non stop grief for following **** football, its been going around in circles for years. Everybody would be better off banging their heads of brick walls.

• Advertisement

Answer this.

If you knew someone who didn't like football, actively avoided it in fact, who one day just took a notion to become interested in it, could you take him seriously as a rabid, anti everyone else, fan?

I seriously doubt it. I know I couldn't. He has absolutely zero history of having developed a "hatred" for "dirty scousers" or whatever.

I laugh at him because he said to me last week "Ah I hate Arsenal again, I wasn't that bothered about them last year, but I hate them again now".

Boggle.

I don't care if he supports ManYoo or Kilkenny City in that regard.

I'd prefer he pick Kilkenny City as his money would be going to the eL.

I would take them with a pinch of salt at the start however if the interest stuck then Id say fair enough. My brother was never interested in football (beyond playing it) untill he came to a game with us a couple of seasons ago, he know pesters me to go to games and wanted to get a season ticket this year. Ive been following football closely a lot longer than he has however I wouldnt dream of degrading his sense of well being when we win or genuine sadness when we get beat as not as valid as mine simply due to time or even worse geography.

It would be close minded.

Advertisement