Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth paying more to buy from VW dealer?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I am looking at buying a 2003 or 2004 polo and have seen a few I like, though they are always more expensive coming from VW branded dealers. The upside of buying from the VW dealer is that they offer a 12-month warranty and a 30 day exchange policy, whereas the non-VW dealers are offering warranties of only 3 months.

The price difference like for like is around 700 euro or thereabouts. I'm only asking because I haven't heard great things about VWs service and if the warranty proves useless then it's crazy to pay more for the car to get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota Nissan and Opel dealers give better used car warranties and roadside assistance packages than VW as far as I know, and are almost always cheaper than VW selling their own product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

i agree with colm,also drive a hard bargain.
    its a buyers market, push very hard on price.
    good look

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I think it's a bit of a generalisation to say that all non-VW dealers will only give 3 months warranty on a 3 or 4 year old Polo. Shop around and use it as a bargaining tool, if you really like a car you see at a non-VW dealer, flash the cash and you'll have no problem getting 6, or 9 or even 12 months warranty on a car of that age.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 3 year old car off a dealer only offering 3 months warranty, it just wouldn't inspire any confidence in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MollyCoddle

PauloMN wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of a generalisation to say that all non-VW dealers will only give 3 months warranty on a 3 or 4 year old Polo. Shop around and use it as a bargaining tool, if you really like a car you see at a non-VW dealer, flash the cash and you'll have no problem getting 6, or 9 or even 12 months warranty on a car of that age.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 3 year old car off a dealer only offering 3 months warranty, it just wouldn't inspire any confidence in the car.

All the dealers I've been to will only offer 3 months....I am living in a smallish town - obviously without a car of my own to go around looking at dealers in other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Here are all the Polos in the toyota dealer network, these all have unlimited mileage 12 month warranty, and 12 months Eurocare roadside assistance.
    http://toyota.ie/assured-used-cars/?make=Volkswagen&model=Polo

Opel network Q used cars is a similar set up to Toyota, with 12 monrths warranty and roadside assist.
    http://www.opel.ie/action/go?cntryCd=IE&langCd=en&webSiteId=GBPIE&page=gmehome&BROWSER=&VERSION=&OS=&referrer=

Nissan Gold Standard has RAC membership and the 12 month warranty but I think the mileag is limited to 15000km
    www.nissangoldstandard.ie

A good warranty is very important

• Advertisement
Advertisement