Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignored Gardai- what to expect?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of a friend(yes friend not me!) had a motorist tailgating her on a southside road.

She was pressured to speed up by the driver behind her instead of keeping her cool in a 60km/hr zone.

Anyway, a garda emerged from a bush with possibly a radar gun and/or a camera(she not 100% sure on camera but certain he had one) and waved her to pull in when both were going about 80km/hr in daylight conditions.

She didn't pull in and kept going with the garda left standing there with hands on his hips. The car tailgating her didn't stop either.

Question is, what happens here. Will it be a straightforward speeding fine with possible points within weeks or is there a traffic offence for failing to stop for a garda and could result in a summons in about 6 months?

Only would like opinions on likely outcome, not about 'take your punishment type stuff as she admits guilt' :)...just would like to know on her behalf which way a case like this could end up as, usual speeding fine or end up in court on a specific driving offence?

Thx in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

When did this happen? My guess is she'll hear no more about it. And tell your friend for future reference that using her hazard lights will make most tailgaters back off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anan1 wrote: »
    When did this happen? My guess is she'll hear no more about it. And tell your friend for future reference that using her hazard lights will make most tailgaters back off.
    So will slamming on the brakes.

I hate tailgaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It can do - it can also make some of them flash their lights at you.

What is it with tailgaters? They really sicken me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

gurramok wrote:

She was pressured to speed up by the driver behind her

Doesn't really cut it as an excuse, does it?

Surprised they didn't give chase tbh. I live on the N8 right next to a known speed trap and there always seems to be a pursuit car ready and waiting for anyone that doesn't pull over when instructed to do so.

IMO she is either in an awful lot of trouble or none at all. i.e. they will take it up at a later date if the guard got a reg number or he just got her speed and not her registration details, in which case it's nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

If she gets away with it she will have learned a free but valuable lesson about refusing to be intimidated by some little git.

If she had stopped she would have been done for sure as she would have committed the offence and the real "offender" would have driven on and away from any trouble.

Ironically, if the tailgater was very close he may have obscured the Garda's view of your GF's registration plate.

On the downside, if she is identified she will probably be done for speeding and refusing to stop for a Garda when directed to do so. In that event it is a court appearance.

Time will tell. Hopefully, she is in the clear but will not make the same mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I prefer to quickly tap the brakes a few times to get tailgaters to back off.

micmclo wrote: »
    I prefer to quickly tap the brakes a few times to get tailgaters to back off.
    The hazards are safer. Brake lights can give the tailgater a fright, which is clearly dangerous. Plus the fright can make them angry, again dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm on a motorbike so a tailgater is even more dangerous.
    Oh and I don't have hazards :(

(yes, I know this is the motors forum so carry on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Happened midweek in afternoon on suburban route, would rather not say exact time in case that garda is reading :)

Good idea about hazard lights, never thought of that one myself and i never give in to tailgaters.

Urbanfox, she not my GF!
    On the rest of your post, thats the problem, one just does not know what would happen, its alot of worry for her!

bigkev49, if the garda had a camera, surely he would of got reg details and didn't have to rely on reading the obscured(due to 2nd car) rear reg?

Also, she nearly always obeys the speed limit on this particular road and has had umpteen incidents with drivers trying to overtake and giving her the 2 fingers including polite exchange of words!

She had reported these incidents to gardai and RSA themselves before as she felt intimidated. They had said they look into it back then.
    As a bloke i can understand how some women can feel intimidated on the roads with tailgaters and speedsters.

So to sum up, it depends on the mood of the garda to prosecute? :eek:

gurramok wrote: »
    Also, she nearly always obeys the speed limit on this particular road and has had umpteen incidents with drivers trying to overtake and giving her the 2 fingers including polite exchange of words!
    That's odd. She's hardly driving in the overtaking lane of a dual carriageway, is she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can never understand the mentality of those who complain about tailgaters and then try to deal with then by braking hard which is much more dangerous than that which they complain.

The best and safest way to deal with them is to take one's foot off the accelerator and gradually allow the car to slow down. They will then usually back off or overtake.

That's odd. She's hardly driving in the overtaking lane of a dual carriageway, is she?

Yes most times, obeying the speed limit at 60 in this particular section of the dual carraigeway.

Thing is this road(not M50!) has extremely heavy traffic where its nearly impossible to move lanes at peak hour when at 60 plus when your right hand turn is one to two junctions up, you have to be in the correct lane or be screwed, a pressurising situation in itself

There does be no space for manoeuvre to 'speed up', its that tight. To have speedsters behind you breaking the limit flashing their lights and giving two fingers in your rear mirror can be intimidating to anyone who chooses to not to ignore them.

So in essence, the idea of the dual carraigeway is forgotten as it becomes 2 lanes at same speed due to heavy traffic if that makes sense!

So do you reckon its either a summons or a fine in the post or an ignore by the garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A friend of a friend(yes friend not me!) had a motorist tailgating her on a southside road.

She was pressured to speed up by the driver behind her instead of keeping her cool in a 60km/hr zone.

How was she pressured? Was the tailgater nudging her rear bumper? In future, tell her to ignore tailgaters. If a guy (it's usually guys, isn't it?) is stuck up her arse then she needn't worry about looking in her rearview mirror, coz all she can see are his tobacco stained teeth. Just concentrate on driving correctly and keep calm. If an opportunity presents itself for overtaking then let him at it...

Thing is this road(not M50!) has extremely heavy traffic where its nearly impossible to move lanes at peak hour when at 60 plus when your right hand turn is one to two junctions up, you have to be in the correct lane or be screwed, a pressurising situation in itself
    Has to be the Stillorgan Road!

gurramok wrote:
    So do you reckon its either a summons or a fine in the post or an ignore by the garda?
    When did it happen?

Yes most times, obeying the speed limit at 60 in this particular section of the dual carraigeway.

There does be no space for manoeuvre to 'speed up', its that tight. To have speedsters behind you breaking the limit flashing their lights and giving two fingers in your rear mirror can be intimidating to anyone who chooses to not to ignore them.

So in essence, the idea of the dual carraigeway is forgotten as it becomes 2 lanes at same speed due to heavy traffic if that makes sense!
    I'm sorry, and please don't take what i'm about to say personally, but it doesn't. Going on what you've said, your friend is not fit to be driving. The best thing you can do for her (and for other road users) is to encourage her to get professional tuition.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use the windscreen washer jets to slow the tailgaiter down!
    UrbanFox wrote: »
    If she gets away with it she will have learned a free but valuable lesson about refusing to be intimidated by some little git.
    erm, she was intimidated...

I don't follow this. There is no room to manouvre but she still managed to go from her comfortable 60 (I assume this is in km/h) to whatever speed she was doing. Still, the garda on the side of the road expected her to pull across the left (driving) lane. TBH, sounds like she was in the wrong lane for no reason except that she was going to turn right way up the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

If the traffic was that heavy and changing lanes difficult, its kind of strange to be able to drive at 80km. I hope that doesnt sound bitchy, because its not meant to. On the other side of things, i can see how the person behind might have got frustrated, it can be annoying when you think somebody is just driving in the right hand lane but not going anywhere! They didnt know she was going to turn! Ive no idea about the speeding thing but i hope it all goes well! Good luck. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I really don't see how someone can be 'pressured' into speeding by a tailgater :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

DaveMcG wrote: »
    So will slamming on the brakes.

I hate tailgaters.

I was driving down the N7 late on a Friday night and I was behind some stupid girl driving a Fiat stilo I think and she thought I was to close as she kept slamming on the breaks. I was at least at two car lents back, anyway she was so busy slamming on the breaks she didnt see the red lights and hit the car in front.

My advice is to simply slow down and they soon get the message or they will over take you.

I doubt if your friend will get anymore then a fine in the post and a couple of points on her licence, if the garda was that interested, I’m sure he would have chased her in a car or on the bike.

kbannon wrote: »
    I don't follow this. There is no room to manouvre but she still managed to go from her comfortable 60 (I assume this is in km/h) to whatever speed she was doing. Still, the garda on the side of the road expected her to pull across the left (driving) lane. TBH, sounds like she was in the wrong lane for no reason except that she was going to turn right way up the road!

It was a blip in the road speed, ther eis not much difference in between 60 and 80 and the traffic got an opportunity to speed faster due to a gap further ahead.
    The garda was in middle of the dual carriageway, not on the left.

Anan1, oh yes it does become pressurising on any driver.
    I'm not as frequent on the road in question but when i am, i do have some arsehole behind me flashing me to get out of the way despite me doing speed limit.
    Of course in my situation, i dont give a flying F**k what the person behinds think, if they wanna undertake, go ahead, i ain't moving faster and gettinf my speeding fine.

Wishbone Ash..no comment on road:)..it happened late afternoon in peak hour.

Slow coach, no not tipping bumper like in Mad Max!...the driver was extremely close at that speed, the type where you'd worry yourself if they would hit you at that type of speed with any breaking even though it was 80.
    I've experienced it myself and it does cross my mind with an eejit tailgater behind me and i do be careful to slow gently if needs be.

Gauge& Jeapy..believe me, if your obeying the speed limit in right hand lane on any dual carriageway there will always be an aggressive driver behind you flashing his lights to get you out of the way not just once but many times and even honking their horns, this is intimidating to drivers, ye must of experienced it before, i certainly have myself.

Jeapy, it was too early to signal right when in right hand lane, when i mean early i mean about 2 junctions/traffic lights back.

• Advertisement

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I was driving down the N7 late on a Friday night and I was behind some stupid girl driving a Fiat stilo I think and she thought I was to close as she kept slamming on the breaks. I was at least at two car lents back
    Are you for real? :eek:

Two car lengths?

Were you travelling at 5kph?

*shakes head in disbelief*

Gauge& Jeapy..believe me, if your obeying the speed limit in right hand lane on any dual carriageway there will always be an aggressive driver behind you flashing his lights to get you out of the way not just once but many times and even honking their horns, this is intimidating to drivers, ye must of experienced it before, i certainly have myself.
    It doesn't matter if you are doing the posted speed limit while travelling on the right lane. The right lane is for overtaking or turning right. A motorist does not have the authority to regulate the speed limit for other drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Are you for real? :eek:

Two car lengths?

Were you travelling at 5kph?

*shakes head in disbelief*

oops :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have to say - when I started driving I used to be intimidated a lot - one night in particular a Bus (out of service) was right up my backside driving into Ranelagh (and was so up my backside I was nervous watching it--and it's lights were high enough to be distracting) and as I came under the bridge I just about saw a stupid road barrier sticking out dangerously into the road and there was a car coming towards me too. I slowed and got around, but after that I was like 'to heck with being intimidated'. If someone is up my backside & I am in the proper lane / doing the correct speed limit, I refuse to speed up. And in fact will go slower if they continue to drive up my bumper.

People are far too impatient, I'd rather arrive a few seconds later than not at all.

Your friend needs more confidence to not be bullied into driving faster. If the gardai got a picture from the front as she came towards him - perhaps she'd be caught, but if the other car was up her bumper, they shouldn't be able to get a picture from the back (of the license) I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

1) If you're intimidated by someone driving so close, move the rear view mirror so you can't see them - its their problem to stay out of your rear end. Ideally grow balls and wear them...

2) Chances are you friend will hear nothing more - if the cop had a camera he wouldn't be trying to flag her down. Dumb Cnut trying to do it from the central margin anyway.

3) Braking while being tailgated is asking for it, and if you do get stuffed doing this you deserve it.

4) Regardless of the speed limit, the outside lane is for overtaking, if you're not overtaking "maintain the flow" or move over.

5) Barlow... where are the lights on the N7? thought they'd all been removed.

It doesn't matter if you are doing the posted speed limit while travelling on the right lane. The right lane is for overtaking or turning right. A motorist does not have the authority to regulate the speed limit for other drivers.

Which it was for turning right!

We are talking about a distance of maybe a half a kilometre between the actual turn and being in the correct lane to turn right, we're not talking miles here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

kbannon wrote: »
    Use the windscreen washer jets to slow the tailgaiter down!

Kbannnon, I've seen you post this tip before, and its a very effective one - I use it a lot.!:)

This is not adding up!
    a garda emerged from a bush with possibly a radar gun and/or a camera(she not 100% sure on camera but certain he had one) and waved her to pull in
    If the Garda was on the central median, how would he expect her to pull over?
    has had umpteen incidents with drivers trying to overtake
    Me thinks your friend may be at fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

It was a blip in the road speed, ther eis not much difference in between 60 and 80 and the traffic got an opportunity to speed faster due to a gap further ahead.
    The garda was in middle of the dual carriageway, not on the left.

Anan1, oh yes it does become pressurising on any driver.
    I'm not as frequent on the road in question but when i am, i do have some arsehole behind me flashing me to get out of the way despite me doing speed limit.
    Of course in my situation, i dont give a flying F**k what the person behinds think, if they wanna undertake, go ahead, i ain't moving faster and gettinf my speeding fine.

Wishbone Ash..no comment on road:)..it happened late afternoon in peak hour.

Slow coach, no not tipping bumper like in Mad Max!...the driver was extremely close at that speed, the type where you'd worry yourself if they would hit you at that type of speed with any breaking even though it was 80.
    I've experienced it myself and it does cross my mind with an eejit tailgater behind me and i do be careful to slow gently if needs be.

Jeapy, it was too early to signal right when in right hand lane, when i mean early i mean about 2 junctions/traffic lights back.

I mean just put it on for a second or two so theyd know youre intending on turning. Might stop them being so aggressive! Thats what I would do...

• Advertisement

This is not adding up!

If the Garda was on the central median, how would he expect her to pull over?
    He pointed to move over to the hard shoulder of left lane ahead, have to assume there was another garda sitting over there waiting to quiz drivers pulled over.
    Me thinks your friend may be at fault!

How?..Generally she cannot speed over the limit as she would of been caught with fine/peno points as maybe in this case

Unless you mean she should of pulled into left hand lane which she couldn't do because of too much density in traffic plus her right hand turn was just up ahead(less than 2 traffic lights ahead)?

Why should she give in to speeding drivers ? :)

Advertisement