Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignored Gardai- what to expect?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I agree with wishbone ash that she was wrong for a few reasons...
    If her turn is two junctions ahead, she really shouldnt have been in the right hand lane. She should be competent enough to change lanes, even in heavy traffic.
    Some parts of the story just dont add up. Like the traffic is so heavy that she cant change lane, but can drive 20km over the limit?
    Ive never seen or heard of a Garda in the central median. Its pretty unbelievable, but some Gardai would do anything on a power trip.
    But ultimately, she increased her speed, who else is to blame? The tailgater might have pressured her, but did they put a gun to her head?
    I hope nothing will come of it and she will just learn a valuable lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gurramok wrote: »
    Unless you mean she should of pulled into left hand lane which she couldn't do because of too much density in traffic....
    .....Why should she give in to speeding drivers ? :)
    If the traffic was "of too much density" I can't understand how your friend could have been intimidated to go faster. Surely the general speed of the dense traffic would have governed the maximum speed possible?

EDIT: and I've never seen Gardai doing speed checks on very heavy urban traffic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If the traffic was "of too much density" I can't understand how your friend could have been intimidated to go faster. Surely the general speed of the dense traffic would have governed the maximum speed possible?

EDIT: and I've never seen Gardai doing speed checks on very heavy urban traffic!

Jeapy, it can happen at that speed, we're talking very dense where when you look in your mirrors for that gap while indicating, that never appears within maybe a minute or two before your junction to turn hence getting into that right hand lane quickly with much time beforehand.

The 80 part occurred as there was a gap in traffic ahead which allowed it for a short while and then they go back to 60, it does happen but not alot on this road she mentioned.

Same explanation to Wishbone, i've seen gardai doing speedchecks in heavy traffic on the Finglas Road, Ballymun road, Navan rd as i'm a northsider for example

Yeh, she should have learnt a valuable lesson to never go over the limit especially on a road thats notorious for speedchecks and withstand any pressure from drivers behind her(learners especially should know this! No she ain't a learner! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BustyMikeyB

I love tailgater I stood on brakes and let one of drive into the back of me..got ninety grand for me trouble.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

DaveMcG wrote: »
    So will slamming on the brakes.

That is illegal. Please desist.

Fog lights are more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I love tailgater I stood on brakes and let one of drive into the back of me..got ninety grand for me trouble.:D
    I would have thought your disabilities would be worth more, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Gauge& Jeapy..believe me, if your obeying the speed limit in right hand lane on any dual carriageway there will always be an aggressive driver behind you flashing his lights to get you out of the way not just once but many times and even honking their horns, this is intimidating to drivers, ye must of experienced it before, i certainly have myself.

Of course I have, everyone has at one stage. And I feel for your friend because I've been there (aggressive tailgaters flashing me) but at the end of the day, the story doesn't add up...

What was stopping her pulling into the left lane? From the sounds of it she didn't really have a reason to be in the right hand lane in the first place? The traffic was light enough for her to speed but too dense to pull into another lane?

Why didn't she stop for the garda?

What I get from the story is that your friend basically panicked and made a series of bad judgments (speeding, not stopping for the garda) which is understandable but still... her fault, pretty much. Not trying to troll or anything, it's just the impression I've gotten. She's probably learned her lesson now and will know better next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I notice in my rear view mirror that a car is coming up behind me on the horizon and Im in the outside lane. If the car gets closer and closer, I pull into the inside lane. similarly you're in the ouside lane of a dual carrigeway doing whatever speed, if there's a couple of cars behind you, it usually means you should get out of the way. It's common courtesy and common sense. Drivers with this "I'm doing the speed limit, why should I pull over?" attitude really bug me, along with drivers who use the outside lane and go at the same speed as those in the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Now that you say , a while ago on the N2 there was a speed check under Bridge beside finglas exit at 5ish. 2 Cops in the Bus lane armed with the Ultralyte and no high-viz jackets on :rolleyes:

It was pretty busy as well at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The best and safest way to deal with them is to take one's foot off the accelerator and gradually allow the car to slow down. They will then usually back off or overtake.
    Or in daylight switch main headlights off and on. Will appear as if you are using brakes to the tailgater.

• Advertisement

Or in daylight switch main headlights off and on. Will appear as if you are using brakes to the tailgater.
    When will you people understand - giving a tailgater the impression that you are braking is dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just pull. over and let them pass, how difficult is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

This story seemed to change alot... it was a matter of seconds, how is there so much detail from your "friend"?

Anyway it is an offense not to pull in for a guard when requested so I would expect a summons assuming that the registration was taken by the guard... obviously he wasn't too interested though if he was standing in the center median with his arms on his hips after sneaking out of a bush (Wonder what he was doing in this bush... :rolleyes:)...

What hand signal did he supply to order her to pull over into the left lane? I'm not sure there is a standard signal for this... it would be difficult to make one up on the spot anyway.

As for the tailgating... it is wrong, but it is no problem to calmly wait for an opening in the left lane where she should have been and turn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Why should she give in to speeding drivers ? :)

Sounds to me like she did give in to speeding drivers when she felt intimidated enough to speed up herself.

I don't believe that for second. Bull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I saw a stumpy little bangarda trying to stop a car using a bus lane. She made a gesture for the car to stop, then as the car flew by she made a sudden movement as if she might try to run after the car, before resuming her position at the side of the road. She was probably just out of garda college and was dropped at the side of the road by her partner who went to get in the starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

sicruise wrote: »
    This story seemed to change alot... it was a matter of seconds, how is there so much detail from your "friend"?

Anyway it is an offense not to pull in for a guard when requested so I would expect a summons assuming that the registration was taken by the guard... obviously he wasn't too interested though if he was standing in the center median with his arms on his hips after sneaking out of a bush (Wonder what he was doing in this bush... :rolleyes:)...

What hand signal did he supply to order her to pull over into the left lane? I'm not sure there is a standard signal for this... it would be difficult to make one up on the spot anyway.

As for the tailgating... it is wrong, but it is no problem to calmly wait for an opening in the left lane where she should have been and turn in.

Err, thats the story that she told me, whether she's covering up any bits i don't know, i wasn't there to witness it!
    She had said that the garda pointed downwards to the right to pull over ahead if that helps.
    And yes, it does sound as if she panicked by driving off instead of pulling over, i'm sure she's not the only driver that panics when intimidated by tailgating.

Anyway, the point of the thread is answered, its a wait and see of either a summons or a fine/points or nothing happens...as i thought it would be.

She had said that the garda pointed downwards to the right to pull over ahead if that helps.
    Might the Garda just have been telling her to get out of the overtaking lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

5) Barlow... where are the lights on the N7? thought they'd all been removed.
    There are at least 3 sets of lights from the start of the N7 at the M50 to Newlands Cross. Then the next lights are in Mountrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Biro wrote: »
    Scum.

Meh, the tailgator shouldn't put have put himself in that position.

Bit silly to slam on the brakes tho, who knows what lasting damage the whiplash would do.

I got tailgated all the time when I had a learner sticker up & was doing the speed limit (waiting ages for test). I usually put on the rear fog lights to give them a fright. People who tailgate are scum of the earth. You'd be afraid to turn left or pull in on the off-chance they're not watching closely.

I find once you stop accelerating when you reach the speed limit (eg 50km) people are more likely to do it because the sensation of speed is gone when you stop accelerating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

(less than 2 traffic lights ahead)
    This means diddily sh|t. 2traffic lights could be 5km's, or it could be 50 meters.
    Hope you enjoy life from a wheelchair.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    along with drivers who use the outside lane and go at the same speed as those in the inside lane.
    ...or slower. those ****ers piss me off no end.

=-=

Going on the dual carriageway bypassing Lucan village in the slow lane (I'm a learner), going at 80km/hour, and some f**ker comes right up my ass, I take my foot off the gas, and let my car goto 70 or 60. The person behind then overtakes.

OP: your friend should stay on the left lane, or go at 80km/h on the right. She should flick the right-turning lights coming up to the junction, and use her breaks to slow down to 60km when she comes near enough to see it.

Oh, and if she can't handle the heat, tell her to get off the road, as she's the one that'll cause the accident, by accelerating and doing something stupid. Hopefully she'll get a nice fine from the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Anan1 wrote: »
    When will you people understand - giving a tailgater the impression that you are braking is dangerous!

WHEN WILL TAILGATERS LEARN THAT TAILGATING IS DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!

ME..!!!! I have found the point where my brakes come on when pressing the brake pedal and then just caress the brake pedal with my LEFT FOOT ala rally style.
    OR
    when you get to the next point at which the traffic comes to a stop get out of your car go to your boot open and invite the tailgater to get in as they have been sitting that close to it

Advertisement