Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with eircom broadband

Options
  • 09-11-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

hey i dont know if this is the right forum to post this but i need help, ever since a few weeks ago my internet has been going down when my house phone(s) ring, i recently had sky hd installed but i have plugged out the phone line into it, can any one help me , is it happening to any one else please help me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Same was happening to me the whole time. Turned out to be a dodgy microfilter. Thats the thing connected to the wall socket to split the phone like and broadband line. They are fairly cheap, only costing a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Anti is spot on I would say.

Remember that you must have a micro filter on every phone socket that has an appliance connected to it or it will play puck with your broadband.

Make sure you put a filter on every phone socket that is in use.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Excuse me for hijacking this post, but what use is the filter (on the back of it says Z-Blocker) i had a corroded line & the eircom engineer took out the filter & worked out ok, as he told me he doesnt use his either!

For starters broadband line has two signals in one, your phone line & your Internet. Internet connectivity is quite sensitive to noise, so noise can cause your Internet connection to drop. Also, if you don't use the filter & you have a phone connected to the same socket you will experience noise on the line when using the phone.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

Anti is spot on I would say.

Remember that you must have a micro filter on every phone socket that has an appliance connected to it or it will play puck with your broadband.

Make sure you put a filter on every phone socket that is in use.

-
    hey gadgetman,
    When you say put a filter on every phone socket in use do you mean put a filter only on the phone socket that the broadband router is connected to or to put a filter on every phone socket in the house?

I've a splitter/filter thing on the socket connecting to my router but not on any other socket in the house. I have serious disconnection issues with the broadband! It could last a few hours or a few mins and eircom haven't a clue how to fix it.

• Advertisement

You must put a DSL filter on every socket that has a device connected to it.

For example, if you have five phone sockets in the house & three of them have phones (or anything else connected, FAX etc.) then you must put a filter on all three. If all five sockets have something plugged into them then you must use five filters.

One of the most common problems with not using filters is that when you are on the Internet & somebody else picks up a phone in the house you have a good chance of being disconnected.

You can buy spare filters in the likes of Atlantic Home Care for about €19 for a pack of 2 in the phone section.

-

wow, i've never heard of that. I'll definitely have to get some filters at the weekend so and hope for the best, hopefully that'll be the end of many months of disconnects!
    thanks a lot!

You could experiment in the meantime just to see? by temporarily removing all other devices (phones, faxes etc) and see if your Broadband connection becomes stable. If it does then you know for sure what the problem is.

One other thing to consider is that it is recommended that your Modem/Router is connected to the first RJ11 point in the house, by that I mean where the phone providers cable comes into your house from outside (Normally the hall). It's not a great idea to have X amount of sockets daisy chained off that & then connect your broadband to let's say the fourth socket in the ring. Just making you aware of that too.

Having said all that, I have nine phone points here & my Broadband is on the 5 socket with no problems (But they are all filtered) so If you are using more devices in your location it's more then likely a filter issue.

well i just have 4 telephone connections in the house. Does my lack of filters mean that the connection should drop only when a call is incoming/outgoing or is it still likely to drop at other random occassions because of noise/static or whatever?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've updated the FAQ to include this as recommended reading for anybody having issues like in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

• Advertisement

well i just have 4 telephone connections in the house. Does my lack of filters mean that the connection should drop only when a call is incoming/outgoing or is it still likely to drop at other random occassions because of noise/static or whatever?

Yes, believe me you should filter all four RJ11 points.

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

also you should try connecting your modem at the primary point of entry for the phone line , as this is where the DSL is strongest / clearest

the secondaries are usually run offs from the primary and usually worse for DSL performance

ok i put filters on all the sockets and it seemed to be workin fine(didn't disconnect at all on sunday). but then today it keeps disconnecting as regularly as usual.

I've another unusual problem too, i've tried connectin the router to the master socket in the hall but i can't even get any sync there, the light just keeps blinkin, don't know why??
    I've read on another thread that the Netopia router has a problem with overheating. Could this be another reason why i get intermittent disconnections?

Eircom tech support are useless so any further ideas would be much appreciated!

Not being able to get a Sync light in the hall makes no sense at all?

Maybe you should check the physical wire connections on the sockets.

From what you are saying (It works fine, oh! no it doesn't, it's OK again) it seem to be intermittent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have u eircom fone watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

monitored alarm and sky box also need filters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

stanley1 wrote: »
    monitored alarm and sky box also need filters.

Covered in the FAQ ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

nope don't have phone watch or a sky box, have ntl digital, don't think that'd affect it though.

I've tried all the steps in the sticky at this stage.

gadgetman i've tried connecting my router to all the sockets in the house now and it only detects the dsl signal on one of them. the other 3 including the master socket just result in a blinking dsl light and when i try to connect i says the dsl is down.You seem confused that it's like this, should i tell eircom about this? (although i doubt they'd do anythin)

it's a long shot but would this have anything to do with the fact that we got engineer installed dsl point rather than self install?

Don't think the physical connections are the problem as i have no problem with the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

How is your sky connected to your phoneline? A lot of sky installers just twist pairs at the back of the socket. Starting at the main incoming line (hallway), remove the front of the socket and check what cables are attached at the rear. There should be only one if there are more this is where your problem is. Your BB signal gets scattered out on the other cables.
    My advice would be to remove all but the incoming line (usually a black external cable), plug in a filter, plug your router into the modem side and on the phone side plug an RJ11 cable. Cut the other end off and bare the wires (middle two), loop this into the back of the socket and connect to the remaining cables. This way you just transmit the voice channel through the rest of the house keeping alarms and sky boxes happy.
    Best of luck

no don't have a sky box or anythin like that. don't fancy messin with the wirin either.
    I saw another thread where it recommended changing MTU settings etc, i got a dsl optimiser or some such thing and it has improved things dramatically. Only get disconnected once every few days now since changing a few settings.

Also, some sales guy from eircom called me the last day wonderin how was my service etc. I told him it was rubbish, disconnectin etc, he then ran a line check and said there is a "warning" on my line, somethin wrong with the local exchange that they won't/can't change. Tech support never told me this!

Any of ye know if I can somehow get eircom to fix the exchange??

• Advertisement
Advertisement