Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Damn DOGS !!!

Options
  • 09-11-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm sure we've all been chased by dogs at one time or another while out on our bikes but i'm wondering how do u get rid of them, personally i just pedal like a lunatic until the feckers are too tired or bored to keep coming after me but i'm always paranoid about one of them hitting my front wheel or something and knocking me off. So what tricks do u guy/girls have for getting rid of them and maybe u might have some funny or not so funny dogs and bikes stories ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I put my faith in the dogs ability not to die. They usually get real close but they have it down to a fine art in that they don't put their head under the wheel so I more or less ignore them. I don't mind a dog chasing me a few 100 metres, it's just when you don't see them coming and they frighten the **** out of you at the last second that annoys me. They're a bit like motorists in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just don't stop whatever you do. I had to stop when some fecker dog started to run in front of my path, then he bit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

one of the lads swung a frame pump at one once, the lever clipped open, and through the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have to say I've never been chased by a dog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

I bellow out at them in a commanding voice (something like "DOWN BOY"). Dogs are pack animals that are used to being part of a hierarchy. But you need to firmly stake your claim above them in that hierarchy. The voice command almost always works for me. Pretending to throw something at them can be used if the dog doesn't back down on voice command.

It can also be helpful if you know how to read a dog's behaviour, occasionally they come at you with more playful than aggressive intent. A wagging tail means that you're fine, a crouched position in anticipation of giving chase and/or a tail pointing straight back indicates that they mean business.

Trying to get away from them only re-enforces their chase instincts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Buy an ultra-sound dog chaser from Maplins, price about €22.

Guaranteed to send any dog within a 5 metre radius running (away!).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Yeah I find dogs a bit of an obstuction some times, when there is more than one after you it is iften a challenge to get away from them. I have had many close falls from dogs running across my path!!! barking makes me nervous aswell because you dont really no where the dog is:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

this always works for me.When a dog is just about to "launch" at you get your drink bottle and give the dog a good squirt of it.The dog wont know what hit it.Happened to me last week.A lovely collie was teeing me up owner had no leash on him.The lovely collie got a good dose of Lucozade sport smack in the mush.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

I accidentally kicked a pursuing dog once, I was just heading out of the housing estate and this tiny dog started chasing me..it was the third day in a row that this dog had chased me as the owners had left their gates open...anyway the dog was biting at my ankle so I panicked and clipped out-accidentally kicking the dog in the face! I felt really bad but it ran off yelping and hasn't come near me since!
    My friend hit a dog the other day....broken collar bone for him! Never assume they wont run under your wheel...for example= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcodisONKs
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I use pepper spray, works every time. Ebay item number 300170434742

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Dogs are a question of phychology.

A dog that you have never met before is the most dangerous. A dog expects us to run. The indicators that he is going to chase are,

1) head up and facing
    2) he may move toward you or be meeting you at an angle of 45 degrees.

Because I was a postman in my much younger days and I got bitten. I practiced the following. The problem is we all normally get on and off on the left side of the bike, except for the lefties who typically get on on the right. When we get off, we use the left side. And the dog usually is on the left . Practice getting off on the right AND DO SO JUST AS YOU APPROACH DOG. The Bike is now between you and dog. Place hand under saddle and use frame / back wheel as projected defence.

Dog will run or fight. Intimidate dog keeping bike between you and him. Make sure you win.

Alternatively, as dog is ready to pounce, change direction towards him. The always give him something to think about.

I always find it is the terrier who chases most.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Being chased by a dog = redneck interval training

Every single time I'm cycling in the country I get at least 2 or 3 chases.I'm never going too fast when I meet them so I just end up weaving in and out between them.Gives you a boost of energy aswell trying to get away from them.Never met any too viscious yet at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Ultra sonic deterrent all the way!! Until you meet a rather insane JR. They tend to not care. Little psychos!! :rolleyes:
    I usually opt for pedalling like crazy. Hasn't happened in ages. I find the shouting useful, also change direction to go straight at the dog while roaring at it! Words don't matter (unless the dog has been trained to respond to a particular command) so anything as long as it's loud. I LIKE CAKE!!!!! <- even that'd do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got bitten on the calf by a sheepdog once reported it to a mate of mine who was a guard the dog was put down (feel sorry for the dog but the owners have their new dog under control)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

LOL some interesting replies there. Have to agree shouting at the dog usually distracts them long enough to get a bit of a head start, i think that with some of them though once they're running along side u it's more of a game to them, it's like they don't care if they get u or not, mind u i've never slowed down to find out !

One of the lads was telling me yesterday he went to hit a dog with his pump one day and as he done so the lever popped out and he hit the dog a big rottweiler right on the head which stopped the dog dead in his tracks nicely !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Dog Dazer (sound) or pump if you have a full-length one may work well with chasing/agressive dogs.

I've had as many near misses though with simple dozy dogs that just drift across the road at you (have never hit one yet but have had to swerve or screech to a halt.) This sort of thing (the dogs; I am not comparing myself to these cyclists ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9V782gHzXc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrxyijba50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

blorg wrote: »
    I've had as many near misses though with simple dozy dogs that just drift across the road at you (have never hit one yet but have had to swerve or screech to a halt.)

Certain breeds are particularly prone to dozy wandering. In my experience Irish Setters, Collie's and Golden Retrievers are particularly dim dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 noieralc

My best experience of dogs was when I was winning a sprint with my (normally faster than me) friend. This little terrier came at me from a gateway, barking and snapping at my feet, my first response was a very loud 'WAAAAAAaaaaah, Fu******kkkkk'! followed by a warning, full of expletives, to my friend - along the lines of 'goddam f*king dog in the goddam f*cking road...kick him in the F8cking head when you pass him' etc. What I didn't realise that my friend had stopped when she saw the dog coming at me, and the few(ie: loads) of passers by on the footpath only saw a lunatic on a bike shouting at the top of her lungs as she passed by. Of course, she's still laughing about it. And now I tend to use the squirt from the water bottle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

A good squirt from the water bottle is one of the best deterrents.
    My dog story goes like this...........
    I finally convince the wife to go cycling after years of trying, sunny day, she is enjoying it and all is well in the world:D
    About an hour into the spin and this stupid loud crazy spittle flying thrashing crazy dog flies out of a gate and comes straight at us:eek::mad: now it is important to say Gretta is terrified of dogs and still nervous on the bike so things are not so good all of a sudden..........:(:eek:
    I being a manly hero step up to the plate and in one swift movement unclip, swing and connect firmly across the jaw of the crazy dog.......crazy barking turns to a squeal/yelp and a back flip back across the road, I puff out my chest waiting for
    "Oh Rob....I love you my HERO"
    Instead I get
    "ROBERT!!!! you cruel ba%$ard!!!! Ohhhh that poooooor dog.........oh you are soooo mean............"

The ride sorta went downhill after that:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Forgot to add this.
    Former teacher of mine cycling on a really busy road up to her house. Very little room between the wall and the traffic. She was going for the driveway, her dog came out the gate in front of the door. She had no time to react, drove over it and killed it. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't worry, it's biodegradable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

blorg wrote: »
    Don't worry, it's biodegradable...
    LOL

Advertisement