Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Broadband Router ???

Options
  • 09-11-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,
    According to all the wireless broadband providers I am not within
    their range to receive a signal.
    I tried 3's USB modem and can get full signal strength when the modem
    is placed in a window upstairs. I used a USB extender cable from the modem to the laptop.
    Problem here is I am limited to an upstairs room and would obviously like
    to rebroadcast around the house.
    Does anyone know if its possible to get a router which accepts 3's USB modem ? Can I convert USB to RJ45 or is that nuts ?

Thanks,
    Don

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

yes you can.
    I've set this up for a friend (on Three) using [url=" http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=321717"]this router[/url] from komplett.ie.
    I needed to replace the firmware on the router (which allows you use the USB port for a printer or a harddrive) for a custom one that also allows you use a USB modem.

That stays in the window, and he connects to it using wifi from the other room.
    I'll point you to the latest firmware if you decide to go this route and need a hand.

I've a similar setup myself here with a Vodafone PCMCIA card rather than USB.
    It's in a linksys router (WRT54G3g) and I've signal in one small spot in a window.
    Vodafone phones don't even work anywhere else in the house.
    It's the only high speed net connection available here, and it's worked fine for nearly a year now.

Mickzer's response doesn't really address your question, but you should really skim
    through the thread he's pointing you at. Some of the problems are solved, but you
    might look at Vodafone or O2 as well. The extra 10 or 20 euro might be well
    worth the fewer headaches.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ei6il

Thanks alot for the replies.
    Came across a Vigor 2800 ADSL2+ Router but its quite expensive.
    The Dell inspiron notebook has the new 26 pin expresscard slot instead of PCMIA, bit of a pain really but thats what Dell are pushing out the door.
    Would have rather used PCMIA instead of horrible USB dongle doo daa.
    I'll take a look later in the week and let ya know if I go down the firmware road.

Thanks again and good luck with Tara...........

Don .....Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 d_mc_g

Trying to ditch Eircom landline in favor of Voda/o2/three wireless broadband. Reading various posts it seems I can either buy a router which takes the wireless modem or use my old PC in the attic and 'share' the internet connection. One question though, has anyone used skype on such a setup. I asked Vodafone if it was possible and I got the response below, the last line of it is the most damning. Anyone know do they block VoIP ? Do three or o2 do similar ?

"With regard to your query, overall I'm not sure if it will work.
    Firstly the usb modem is intended to work as a standalone connection to the internet, I dont know if it can be plugged into a wireless router and still function (but thats not to say that it cant be done).

If you were able to create a wireless area with a router, the Skype (or any voip) service may not work.
    Vodafone reserve the right to block access to voip traffic
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not so much the blocking issue, but that it can be worse than trying to do VOIP on dialup. The delay can be 1s and the upload speed too slow.

Or you can be on a quiet sector and then it's not too bad.

You can get two different models of router for USB modem and several more for PCMCIA versions.

It's not recomended use for 3G/HSDPA. You can support a tiny number of users on VOIP on a 3G mast compared with 3G digital voice calls, hence the caveat that they can block if they want.

You'd be better with fixed Wireless or Metro solution or even Cable than 3G/HSDPA, which is more MOBILE Internet than Fixed Broadband.

@ ei6il
    You can now get ExpressCard HSDPA modems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement