Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork from Austria - frustrated by ISP results

Options
  • 09-11-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I'm moving from Austria to Cork. In order to stay sane in Ireland, I'm currently looking for a comparable ISP. I'm willing to pay good money for a decent private broadband connection.
    My first choice was a "3" mobile solution (signing the contract in austria, €19 - 15GB, no data roaming in Ireland). Then i found this board and ditched the idea "mobile internet in ireland" completly.
    What i expect from a landline connection: reliable and "fast" (I don't need hypz0rspeed, a steady connection somwhere between 300-600 kBps will do the trick), "flat rate" (they can cap my speed if I exceed the monthly limit, but I'm not willing to pay extra €€€/MB).
    Personal Usage: obviously surfing and mailing, games (XBOX360, PS3, Wii, World of Warcraft, RTS, occasionally FPS --> Ping is not the main issue). I'm quite a Downloader (mainly TV Shows). I'm also an IPTV heavy user (Giga.de, esl.TV, ...).

My budget in Austria and Ireland allows up to 70-100€ for Broadband.
    I don't mind if it is cable, ADSL or something else.
    Is Magnet my only solution? Is it available in Cork? Where in Cork is it available (I'm trying to choose my residence according to the availability from my ISP of choice).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

Smart telecom is the best if you can get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

Are you moving to the city or county? I don't think all the county is covered by bb yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mezzomix

I'm moving to Cork City, perhaps somwhere near Blackpool. How good is the coverage of Smart Telecom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

your best bet would be to ring smart up and ask them what parts of cork city the serve

example of coverage in limerick (40 a month package)

201012115.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

I am using nova networks a wireless provider, no need for phone line, good service, good contention, and don't enforce download limits. have for the last two years and only one serious problem in that time. digiweb are also availble, Irish broad band are meant to be terrible. smart also meant to be good but depends on whether they provide the service in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mezzomix wrote: »
    I'm moving to Cork City, perhaps somwhere near Blackpool. How good is the coverage of Smart Telecom?

Yes, the Blackpool area is fairly well covered by BB providers.

I'm originally from the area and checking a few friends phone numbers in the Smart Telecom online checker, I can see that they can all get Smart BB.

For €55 per month (including line rental) you can get 7mb/640k BB with no cap from Smart and in my experience of being on Smart Vision service (fibre) it works very well.

Magnet is probably also available in the area, but I don't think they sell residential DSL any more, but worth checking.

If those two fail, then Eircom will get you 3m BB for about €55.

Advertisement