Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc invents tech that rivals copy eventually.Thats why they're copying BMW then.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    Mmm. It appears bmw.com currently backs what E92 is saying. But all other sites (eg parkers.co.uk, and bmw.ie) back what copacetic is saying.

It would seem bmw.com is deliberabtly misleading and is quoting figures for cars fitted with the hybid-type goodies that BMW is calling "EfficientDynamics", like Auto Stop. So misleading is this that it even caught E92 out!

BMW UK backs what I'm saying. See my link above. So does BMW's German site. And the Irish one, if you look in the right place. They can't all be wrong. No disrespect to you, but I think BMW would know better than Parkers, What Car etc about what their cars are capable of.

I know BMW's efficient Dynamics Technology uses Hybrid 'goodies'. As BMW have shown, there's nothing stopping them being used on non Hybrid cars. And they clearly work, they certainly work well enough to beat Hybrid car, as I've mentioned above too. Why do you think it gives 70% of the fuel consumption benefits of a Hybrid?

And as theres no electric motor, its NOT a Hybrid.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

E92 wrote: »
    Go to the car configurator. Select 3 series, and saloon, and tell me what you find.(it doesn't have 0-100 times I know, but trust me if the UK site says it then thats what it is).

And note my suitably edited post above.

ffs i gave you a direct feckin link, is that not good enough??

go to bmw.ie, hit the 3 for 3 series, hit all the facts, hit engine and chassis, hit technical data, there you go. exactly what is on the direct link I gave you above..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

And as theres no electric motor, its NOT a Hybrid.
    Not yet, but BMW are catching up with Honda and Toyota. Jeez, and I thought you said BMW were innovators.:D
    These 'goodies' are fitted as standard on 3 series 4 cylinder models since September build,ie 08 model
    But not available yet? Link above, text says "Hybrid technology will soon be available in BMW vehicles"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Any body else try to avoid people who refer to BMWs buy their E number?

Can we put this latest argument to bed finally?

If I go into a BMW dealer on monday and pick out a brand new 318, say an automatic (apparently BMWs have better resale if they're autos, according to what I read on here), will it be the 175g CO2/km version, or the 142g version?

• Advertisement

Can we put this latest argument to bed finally?

If I go into a BMW dealer on monday and pick out a brand new 318, say an automatic (apparently BMWs have better resale if they're autos, according to what I read on here), will it be the 175g CO2/km version, or the 142g version?

Autos have better resale values if they're large engined 3 series(6 pot models), all 5 series and above AFAIK.

If you go into your BMW dealer and order a new 318i tomorrow, your 318i will be the 142 g/km version. The 3 series was facelifted about a month ago. The main change is aforementioned engines with more power and considerably less CO2. All MY08 are the low emissions ones.

The 175 g/km 318i is the prefacelift model. BMW's Irish website's 3 series prices confirm this. If you go into the car configurator, they give you the prices and emissions.

It says 318i ES Saloon 141 hp(105KW) 1995 cc 5.9(l/100km)/142[6.4/152](figures in sqaure brackets refer to Auto models) 40,650 €. The only 3 series that now produces 175 g/km is the 330d Auto Saloon.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Not yet, but BMW are catching up with Honda and Toyota. Jeez, and I thought you said BMW were innovators.:D
    Aren't Honda and Toyota guilty of the exact same charge? BMW's first common rail diesel was the 530d in 1998. Toyota's first was the D-4D in 2001 with the Avensis. And Honda joined them in 2003 with the Accord i-CTDi. Now who was doing the catching up there;)?

copacetic wrote:
    ffs i gave you a direct feckin link, is that not good enough??

go to bmw.ie, hit the 3 for 3 series, hit all the facts, hit engine and chassis, hit technical data, there you go. exactly what is on the direct link I gave you above.

I give up. I told you exactly where to find my figures(the correct ones) on BMW's Irish website(see post Nr 29), I told you before that the correct tech spec figures are the ones on their UK website, and the Irish spec models are identical(bar the km/h speedo), I'm after comparing the car to its diesel rivals and showing you what I said about the car to be 100% true, and you're still telling me after all that that I'm wrong, talking BS and fanboy talk!

Your direct link is a link to outdated info. It might well be on BMW's Irish site, hence why I used their UK one in the first place(really odd considering that BMW Ireland is a subsidary of BMW GB), but this is the same site that doesn't know that the 1 series Coupé is now on sale, still has a link to the pre facelift 1 series in spite of the fact that the facelifted version has been around since around April and doesn't know about the new Efficient Dynamics 6 series not mentione the fact it doesn't even know the proper modelsavailable for the 3 series. The correct info on the Irish site is at the start of this post.

If you go into your BMW dealer and order a new 318i tomorrow, your 318i will be the 142 g/km version.
    And this one uses EffecientDynamics to achieve such low figures, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Merc hasn't invented anything I can see ever with engines(bar the aforementioned 300SL).

They invented forced induction in 1900.

And this one uses EffecientDynamics to achieve such low figures, right?

Yup. And only 5 bhp less than the 320i without Efficient Dynamics as well. And as I described in earlier posts, as efficient as rival diesels on mpg, and lower CO2 than them to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Oh a BMW fan !

Yawn !!

Hey didn't BMW also invent Nikasil engine problems ?? :D

Now go and turn off your foglights will ya !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MercMad wrote: »
    Hey didn't BMW also invent Nikasil

Wasn't Nikasil developed for the first time for a Mercedes Wankel engine? :D

Porsche has been using Nikasil for about 40 years! Other makes that (have) use(d) Nikasil for cars are Ferrari, NSU, Maserati, Jaguar and even the likes of Ford and Citroen. It's been used for bikes too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

unkel wrote: »
    Wasn't Nikasil developed for the first time for a Mercedes Wankel engine? :D

Porsche has been using Nikasil for about 40 years! Other makes that (have) use(d) Nikasil for cars are Ferrari, NSU, Maserati, Jaguar and even the likes of Ford and Citroen. It's been used for bikes too

.....yes I'm well aware oif its history and applications, my point was that BMW invented the Nikasil problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MercMad wrote: »
    my point was that BMW invented the Nikasil problem ;)

I bet they actually wished they had invented the problem. Then at least they could start blaming themselves properly :D

Curious as to why loads of manufacturers used nikasil, but why was BMW so seriously affected, while most others weren't affected by it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

unkel wrote: »
    More of a rant than a thread, E92?

As for variable valve timing - it was invented by FIAT, back in the 60s

And as mentioned Fiat co-developed common rail with Bosch. And all this talk about BMW being great! :D

Biro wrote: »
    And as mentioned Fiat co-developed common rail with Bosch. And all this talk about BMW being great! :D

Aye, but who was first to bring high precision direct injection petrols and second generation common rail diesels to market:D?

Advertisement