Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband (DSL)

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi...
    i read in the papers that several providers will increase downloadspeeds next year because ireland is below the average in europe in this field.

The question is now, where do i need to live to enjoy the full speed of any DSL line?

I tried magnet.ie last year, liviing in Firhouse, had in the winter time 1mbit upload and downlod around 1m or less which really sucked so that i had to cancel the service and continued to use NTL 6m line.

i was wondering if magnet has fibre access, where the hell are these estates where the fibre to the home is available, i never heard these names listed on this page for dublin.

http://www.magnet.ie/services/fibre-to-the-home.shtml

does anyboday know?

other question: in which parts of dublin could i get the full speed which iam paying for (over copper lines)?

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Always wondered this?

I would actually move to Dublin as long as the accomadation prices werent too insane to get a proper FTTH (Fiber-to-the-home) connection....

I have heard that some home users in Dublin have 20mb download 8mb upload..

8evcz9d.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

so you would move house on the strength of a broadband connection.

what do you use the net for that you could possibly need 20megs

sorry but thats very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Always wondered this?

I would actually move to Dublin as long as the accomadation prices werent too insane to get a proper FTTH (Fiber-to-the-home) connection....

I have heard that some home users in Dublin have 20mb download 8mb upload..
    Probably people that live in the data centre they work for. I think home users with that are as common as Unicorns on the Curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sk1

i use it for downloading stuff (what else would i need a fast line for). and for online gaming (css, nfs, tdu etc). a stable connection (constant ping) is a bit more important than speed alone but 6m is fine atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Usernamelast

Sqaull20: Whoa thats quite a download speed, any idea what plan/isp that would be with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Sqaull20: Whoa thats quite a download speed, any idea what plan/isp that would be with?

A poster called Cros13 posted that pick..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=120317

I asked him about it and he said

Re: Your Broadband 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sqaull20 
    Hi man,is that your home broadband connection or work?

20mb download 8mb upload is insane...

A bit of info please? 

Home connection mate.... It rocks!

I have a proper FTTH (Fiber-to-the-home) link.

I bought my place specifically 'cause this was available. 
    Its very rare in ireland. 
    I just moved back from the states where i had verizon FiOS which is 50 MBit and widely available. 
    Its in the building regulations for new houses in the UK that a duct be fitted for ftth. 
    No one gives a damn here

Not sure if I believe him,lucky man if true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yep, It's accurate.

I just bought another property in the area.

The new place is on the same magnet ftth but hits a solid wall at 8192kb/s up/down. I think they forgot to specify the bandwidth in my own house when they set it up, so i've been getting higher speeds then I "should".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

FTTH, every geeks wet dream:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

11-11-2007

eh bump more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

strongr wrote: »
    11-11-2007

eh bump more :D

erk.. sry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Clearly my connection owns Cros13's...

278616923.png

That result is a lie ^^ :eek:

--

Steer clear of Ripwave. Complain all ya want about DSL, but paying €26.95 a month (Ripwave Plus 1024/256 Kb/s) for that actual speed is a joke. I await reconnection with UTV...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Conar

Not sure if people still care but the (relatively) new apartments in Donabate , The Gallery, have FTTH with Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

so you would move house on the strength of a broadband connection.

what do you use the net for that you could possibly need 20megs

sorry but thats very sad
    Actually, if I have the choice, of moving into a home of my own, with a rubbish internet connection, or staying where I am, where I can get DSL on what I would argue is one of the best phone lines in the country.
    Well.. Im staying put right now.

Advertisement