Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Tailgating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Stark wrote: »
    With the dark evenings these days, it's fairly hard to see what kind of car is behind you if they're tailgating you. Had a car on my ass going through the Phoenix park before with its mains on so I was dazzled while driving and for all I knew, it was some boy racer before he finally overtook and I could see that it was a Garda car.
    Sure, it can take a bit of observation before you get to see enough to know. Would you floor it before you had had a chance to ascertain whether or not it was a Garda car tailgating you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'm sure like most of us, it would be continuous tailgaiting which would warrant someone trying to lose the idiot behind.

By the way OP, not sure if your car has them but my car has two rear foglights, it's a very quick way of stopping someone tailgating you if you switch them on all of a sudden. :)

We all get tailgated from time to time, and we all know how dangerous and irritating it can be. That said, using anything which could be mistaken for a brake light is just plain dangerous. If you're going to break the speed limit fine, just make sure it's not a Garda car doing the tailgating first. Surely this isn't so hard to get one's head around?

Personally, I find that a combination of considerate driving and occasional use of the hazard lights works for me.

Well whether applying fog or brake lights, both will have he same effect - the car behind will be forced to back off. It will be just as dangerous if a dog, fox, child, football comes out in front of you and there is a car right up your bumper.

MarkN wrote: »
    It will be just as dangerous if a dog, fox, child, football comes out in front of you and there is a car right up your bumper.
    My point exactly.

• Advertisement

So garda car or not, there is no excuse for it.

If someone can't do a reg check using their eyes without being up the back of a car to read the reg then they probably shouldn't be driving a car (not that I think the guard in question was doing it for that reason for one single minute I might add).

End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Anan1 wrote: »
    We all get tailgated from time to time, and we all know how dangerous and irritating it can be. That said, using anything which could be mistaken for a brake light is just plain dangerous. If you're going to break the speed limit fine, just make sure it's not a Garda car doing the tailgating first. Surely this isn't so hard to get one's head around?

Personally, I find that a combination of considerate driving and occasional use of the hazard lights works for me.

not meaning to bad mouth the Gardai, but about 12 months ago I was on the M1 heading to Drogheda motoring along in the overtaking lane as i was overtaking cars in front of me. A truck indicated to pull out to overtake another truck in front of me so i checked mirrors, saw all clear and slowed down. Flashed the heads to let the overtaking truck know that i saw his indicators and was happy to let him pull out. I checked the mirrors again as he began his manoeuvre and saw, a fair bit in the distance a maroon Mondeo maintaining his speed. I drive a blue Mondeo (VERY USEFUL PULLING INTO TRAFFIC ON THE M50)!!!:)) and kept a weather eye on this chappie. He was getting a tad close at this stage so i flashed my hazards......next thing i know the headlights on the car behind me start flashing in that way we've all seen.......unmarked squad car.
    I slowed down, and pulled into the hard shoulder, this lad flashing away behind me. The passenger Garda got out and read me the riot act cos i should have assumed that they saw the truck carrying out the overtaking manoeuvre and were going to adjust their speed accordingly. I got a bit cheeky and told him that i had no wish to be driving an 8 wheel Mondeo, which was why i flashed the hazards. He told me to stop being a cheeky c-nut and asked for my licence. I showed it to him and said that the only reason i had flashed my hazard lights was cos i felt that their car was approaching at too high a speed. he then told me that all Gardai are fully trained in high speed driving and that they were fully aware of the trucks maneuver................and that it was not my responsibility to watch out for drivers behind me once there was sufficient clearance for me to complete my own manoeuvring!!!!!
    Essentially backing up what my driving instructor said to me, let the lad behind you worry about himself, you just drive in a safe manner.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's not your responsibility to look out for a guy tailgating you. Let him look out for himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Wishbone, I assume your reference to my spelling was due to the fact I spelled Taleban with an "e" rather than an "i"?

FYI "The Taliban (Pashto: طالبان ṭālibān, also anglicized as Taleban)"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Turn on your foglights, it usually frightens the sh1t outta the guy tailgaiting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

gatecrash wrote: »
    not meaning to bad mouth the Gardai, but about 12 months ago I was on the M1 heading to Drogheda motoring along in the overtaking lane as i was overtaking cars in front of me. A truck indicated to pull out to overtake another truck in front of me so i checked mirrors, saw all clear and slowed down. Flashed the heads to let the overtaking truck know that i saw his indicators and was happy to let him pull out. I checked the mirrors again as he began his manoeuvre and saw, a fair bit in the distance a maroon Mondeo maintaining his speed. I drive a blue Mondeo (VERY USEFUL PULLING INTO TRAFFIC ON THE M50)!!!:)) and kept a weather eye on this chappie. He was getting a tad close at this stage so i flashed my hazards......next thing i know the headlights on the car behind me start flashing in that way we've all seen.......unmarked squad car.
    I slowed down, and pulled into the hard shoulder, this lad flashing away behind me. The passenger Garda got out and read me the riot act cos i should have assumed that they saw the truck carrying out the overtaking manoeuvre and were going to adjust their speed accordingly. I got a bit cheeky and told him that i had no wish to be driving an 8 wheel Mondeo, which was why i flashed the hazards. He told me to stop being a cheeky c-nut and asked for my licence. I showed it to him and said that the only reason i had flashed my hazard lights was cos i felt that their car was approaching at too high a speed. he then told me that all Gardai are fully trained in high speed driving and that they were fully aware of the trucks maneuver................and that it was not my responsibility to watch out for drivers behind me once there was sufficient clearance for me to complete my own manoeuvring!!!!!
    Essentially backing up what my driving instructor said to me, let the lad behind you worry about himself, you just drive in a safe manner.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's not your responsibility to look out for a guy tailgating you. Let him look out for himself

So he pulled you over for being a conscientious driver. Yes, let the driver behind worry about themselves, but what the harm in being aware of whats going on 360degrees around you.:mad:
    That garda had probably just got a rollicking from the super about how he is a useless garda and then took it out on you. Unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Look at it from the Garda's point of view driving a marked patrol car. Everywhere they drive as soon as people in front see them they slow down to 50km/hr or whatever the speed limit is.

The Gardai are not obliged to obey speed limits, think of how frustrating it is when they drive around for eight hours with everybody in front of them slowing down to the exact and in most cases unreasonable speed limit!!

Not every Garda is into giving out speeding tickets, and anyway they require vascar or a speed gun (from a stationary position) to actually issue one.

Chief--- wrote: »

The Gardai are not obliged to obey speed limits
    What?? they are only allowed to break the speed limit if it is necessary for carrying out their duties. they can't just do whatever they like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

While they are on duty. Fullstop.

No matter if they are responding to a call or going out to buy doughnuts.

They still can be prosecuted for driving dangerously. But this takes account speed, other roadusers, weather etc. ~If they are responding to an emergency call they can still be prosecuted.

Really. I always though they were accountable for all their driving violations, expect for when appropriate. Thats really an open invitation to trouble.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not every Garda is into giving out speeding tickets, and anyway they require vascar or a speed gun (from a stationary position) to actually issue one.
    Two or more gardai together can state in court that they believe a car was above the speed limit and can get a result.
    Senna wrote: »
    What?? they are only allowed to break the speed limit if it is necessary for carrying out their duties. they can't just do whatever they like.
    True but prove that they weren't carrying out their duties!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Have to agree this tailgating by gardai is a little too common. Happened me recently by an unmarked car on a long straight wide stretch in South city Dublin where most would be inclined to lean on the pedal a tad too much. Except that I took note of 2 heads in a dark car coming up to a police station. There are regulars in that area. Wasnt sure but my concern was confirmed when they turned in to the station with no end of shift speeding ticket handed out.:p I was sorely tempted to call in and complain but (not needing to become an active target living very near there) decided to let my good driving be a lesson to them.;)
    Next time eat my hitch.:D

There are good and bad drivers in the gardai just as in every other profession. Some naughtiness is to be expected:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    Two or more gardai together can state in court that they believe a car was above the speed limit and can get a result.
    Wow, this is an interesting thread! :D

As for the above, if Gardaí, especially younger ones, are reminded that if they lie in court they are committing perjury most will think twice and tell the truth. A Garda getting caught perjuring him/herself is a sackable offence. I have seen two Gardai contradict each other in front of a judge, and the case was thrown out as a result. Tho the judge couldn't decide/wasn't arsed about which one was telling lies.

@MarkN, nice idea, but unfortunately fog lamps are 21 watt, same as brake lamps. Driving with them on isn't going to blind the driver behind, it's only going to irritate them.

Knowing that the driver behind is automatically in the wrong if there's a rear-ending, I tend to jab on the brakes if someone is tailgating me. It either frightens the p1ss out of them, or I get a wad of cash. Win win.

kbannon wrote: »

True but prove that they weren't carrying out their duties!

But thats different, i know they will get away with it. But the poster above say its not against the law for them to break speed limits even if its not necessary.
    So, if this is true, a garda could do 100kph in a 50 zone, just to get their lunch on time and there is nothing wrong (against the law) with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JHMEG wrote: »
    Knowing that the driver behind is automatically in the wrong if there's a rear-ending, I tend to jab on the brakes if someone is tailgating me. It either frightens the p1ss out of them, or I get a wad of cash. Win win.
    Lets just hope you never have kids in the back of your car when you do get hit. Money can't bring them back from 6 feet down.

Also, can't you lose your no-claims bonus for just being involved in an accident, even if its not your fault????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Gardai can only speed on an emergency. By right, they should have their lights on if they are speeding to warn people that they are going above the speed limit.

I've had several squad cars tailgate me coming out from Kent Station in Cork all the way to Tivoli. One was so close I could almost feel the guys breath. I did the sensible thing and stuck at 50kph all the way.

THis of course is completely breaking the law. Why would a Garda be allowed to tailgate in an emergency.

If you can, note the licence plate and complain. This should not be going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

the_syco wrote: »
    Lets just hope you never have kids in the back of your car when you do get hit. Money can't bring them back from 6 feet down.
    I said jab, not jam. 100% success rate in getting tailgaters to back off.

(Jab: to strike with a short straight blow)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

OP I'm on your side here.
    While heading home from work last sunday morning (at 07:15...so still dark enough) I came out on to the N4 heading towards the M50. I was in the driving lane, going at 122km/h (I had set my cruise) then a car doing a fair speed came up behind me, I presumed he would overtake but didn't, he (and it was one guy in the car only) actually got so close I couldn't see his lights anymore. I didn't speed up as I was in the driving lane, he followed for about 1-2km then put on the lights. I slowed down, pulled into the hard shoulder, thinking he was stopping me, then he put the boot down and past me with the lights still flashing. The car was toyota camry, had its blue leds etc.

I definitely think he was trying to make me go faster. I was amazed at what he tried to do, what an idiot. I tried to get the reg but he was going so fast and I had slowed in the hard shoulder that I hadn't a chance.

So OP you definitely aren't the only one this has happened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

a friend of mine lately told me how his daughter met with similar behaviour lately in Cork in the Fermoy Watergrasshill area. it seems to be a well known fact there lately that theres an undercover garda in his fifties in a subaru trying to get races from people with sporty cars. i dont know how they figured him out but im told he looks well out of place in the car :D

needless to say she just waved him on and he left. he must have been disappointed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

The guards aren't driving up your arse to intimidate you into driving faster at all. They're pacing you. If they're sitting a hundred yards behind you they've only got a rough idea if you're going much faster or slower than them. If they're sitting on your bumper they know they're going at exactly the same speed as you and can pull you and issue a ticket. It would be interesting to see how well this method would stand up in court though. You might be able to convince a judge that you sped up to create some space between the two cars....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

TychoCaine wrote: »
    The guards aren't driving up your arse to intimidate you into driving faster at all. They're pacing you. If they're sitting a hundred yards behind you they've only got a rough idea if you're going much faster or slower than them. If they're sitting on your bumper they know they're going at exactly the same speed as you and can pull you and issue a ticket. It would be interesting to see how well this method would stand up in court though. You might be able to convince a judge that you sped up to create some space between the two cars....

Surely a guard could be warned about bad driving if this was brought up in court.

Completely unacceptable behaviour from gardai, who'd give you a telling off if they saw you do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Look at it from the Garda's point of view driving a marked patrol car. Everywhere they drive as soon as people in front see them they slow down to 50km/hr or whatever the speed limit is.

The Gardai are not obliged to obey speed limits, think of how frustrating it is when they drive around for eight hours with everybody in front of them slowing down to the exact and in most cases unreasonable speed limit!!

I drive an Emergency Vehicle occasionally and I have to contradict your point about speed limits. Unless the Garda vehicle or indeed any Emergency vehicle is on an official "shout", the driver of the vehicle is not permitted to exceed the speed limit. In fact, even when on a "shout", the driver does not have permission but due to the presence of sirens/lights the driver can proceed at speed with caution !

If thats true, it just goes to show how useless the average garda driver is. Thats a common technic in the UK, but they keep a few car lengths behind and are trained to keep that same distance, over a set distance (.75mile i think).
    If the garda can only do that by driving on our bumpers, they obviously weren't taught how to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

The guards dont "pace" you.....they follow for 3/4 of a mile and get your average speed.
    I was followed one night near Middleton, same as others have said....lights so bright and car so close i couldnt see what or who it was....after a mile or so they flashed the blue lights for a few seconds......then turned them off....i kept going, could be anyone i thought so i wasnt going to pull over...they fcuked off after a while......could have been guards....or it could have been messers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

gatecrash wrote: »
    he then told me that all Gardai are fully trained in high speed driving

Actually this is far from true.. A Garda I know a number of years who is based
    in a large Dublin station and has done the advanced driver training course
    and has told me on numerous ocassions that over 60% of the gardai who
    drive in his station are on a waiting list for this course and all drive as they
    have a note from the Super allowing them to drive.

So this Gardai better check his facts.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement