Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Tailgating

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Correct and true ToxicPaddy. A good few are on what they call a "super's slip", this being permission by the local Superintendent to drive a company car on a standard licence without having done the driving training. Nothing wrong with that as such, that's what we all drive on. No matter what sort of driving you do it's always good to know your limitations whether your car's got a blue light and siren or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Senna wrote: »
    My question, is this not entrapment, forcing the car in front to speed up and then writing them a ticket when they do so

I know of simular stories, cops cars driving behind cars with full headlights on trying to get to speed up and then be over the speed limit. And also when they are in front they go real slow, like 20kph in a 60kph zone to try and entice the driver behind to pass out, and thus over stepping the solid white line. Isnt going really slow called lack of progression?? Now i know that no one 'forces' you to speed up, or pass out. But they are still in the wrong. This realy only happens to young guys in cars that have been somewhat 'done up' or modded or whatever you wanna call it. I see clowns doing stupid stuff all the time in their cars with big exahusts and bonnet scoops etc. But i also know that just because you have alloy wheels on your car you should not become a target for A-hole cops to start doing dangerous stuff on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Correct and true ToxicPaddy. A good few are on what they call a "super's slip", this being permission by the local Superintendent to drive a company car on a standard licence without having done the driving training. Nothing wrong with that as such, that's what we all drive on. No matter what sort of driving you do it's always good to know your limitations whether your car's got a blue light and siren or not.

Its actually called "Chiefs Permission".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Unless the Garda vehicle or indeed any Emergency vehicle is on an official "shout", the driver of the vehicle is not permitted to exceed the speed limit.

He is permitted to break the speed limit no matter what he is doing, he might be going to collect his chips. The law states that while he is on duty he is exempt.

He is not exempt from dangerous driving or carless driving and or drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are they exempt from basic roadworthiness too? Seen two "cyclops" garda cars in the past week...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

FFS drive at your own speed (whether that's 50 or 150kph- safety permitting of course) but don't feel under pressure to speed up because of some clown behind!

if an idiot is taigaiting you (garda or not) pull over a bit and let him off.
    Don't really understand this idea of "being under pressure to speed up from the car behind".

Admittedly sometimes it may not be as simple as pulling in to let them pass, as many stupid fcuks, while happy to tailgate to their heart's content are afraid of their sh1t to actually overtake you no matter how safe.
    (my least favourite driver probably btw).

Sometimes a tap on the brakes (or hazards) might keep them fcuked off though.

Or (if possible) just get out the car and tell them to kindly fcuk off- no actually ignore the last bit of advice :p

Advertisement