Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octane rating in "regular" petrol?

Options
  • 10-11-2007 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I filled my tank with petrol from a new, very cheap petrol station in my town. It was labelled Octane 95 and i notices a very distinct difference in quality compared to my normal petrol stations unleaded.
    I drive to Dublin every Sunday from Mayo and back on Friday. On a normal week, after filling the tank, theres still plenty of petrol to get around at the weekend. With this octane 95 petrol, I had to refill in roscommon just to have enough to make it the rest of the way home!
    Was so unimpressed. For the sake of about a 1.50 in the price difference, I had to put 15 euro extra in and stop along the way. Wont be filling there again! I dont know what the "normal" rate is in places like Statoil and Esso, does anybody know? Or has anybody noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Normal petrol should all be 95octane (except v-power and other such)

i have hear stories of poor petrol from one station local to me, but i dont know if its just a old wifes tail. As far as i know, all petrol comes into the docks at cork and then the different petrol companies buy it. they then add their own additives and brand it under their own name. So its all really the same stuff.

But your experience does sound genuinely bad, assuming you didn't do any extra driving during the week. I'd just stay away from that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, all petrol available here with the exception of Maxol E5 is 95 octane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is that V-power petrol not more. or do they not sell it here, i've heard of it, but never seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Fuel is EU regulated, so in "theory" they're all the same.

Unless you're driving a vintage. 95 octane suits all.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy diesel anywhere near the Border...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Thanks everyone! It was in a Tesco station in Mayo. I def smell a rat though! Needless to say, I wont be back! On a similar note, does anybody know anything about the new biofuels? I saw a sign for bioethanol in a station in Walkinstown/Ballymount. Do you have to change or modify your engine? Would it be worth it cost wise when you consider carbon emissions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jeapy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! It was in a Tesco station in Mayo. I def smell a rat though! Needless to say, I wont be back! On a similar note, does anybody know anything about the new biofuels? I saw a sign for bioethanol in a station in Walkinstown/Ballymount. Do you have to change or modify your engine? Would it be worth it cost wise when you consider carbon emissions?
    Only E5 is suitable for normal cars. Performance may improve, but consumption will probably be worse.

Do NOT use E85 in a normal car. Major damage likely to seals etc.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VPower is 95 RON here but is higher 98RON (or possibly more) in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cdorr

hhhmm, they are all supposed to be 95 octane. I have had a similar experience with my local tesco station in Dundrun, Dublin. I always get my petrol there and I used to make it all the way to a town in the north and back with a little to spare last year on my motorbike. Did the same trip a couple times last month and bearly made it back to the m50 before I had to fill up. Thought it was my bike until I went to England on it last week and my milage went up by 20%. Same kinda driving, motorways and a roads.

who is responsible for regulating this in Ireland? Perhaps they should take a visit to tescos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ive noticed this too as discussed in a previous thread. I am interested as to what car you drive?

The problem with the cheaper tesco petrol is it seems to be affected the more higher performance and japanese makes.

Afaik the V-power stuff is 98 octane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

chris85 wrote: »

Afaik the V-power stuff is 98 octane.

V-power is 95 octane in Ireland, UK V-power is 98.
    The only higher octane fuel available here is maxol's E5 5% bioethanol, according to maxol it's 99 octane.

Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

without naming the stations I do think there may be a similarity in wicklow.

I've compared the milage I get out of a full tank from the petrol stations in wicklow town to that of the petrol station in rathnew.

The station in rathnew is cheaper but I just didnt get the same milage compared to the stations in wicklow town.
    Both were 95 octane.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm getting a noticeable - 7-10% - increase in mileage out of using Esso over Tesco.

They're currently the exact same price - 115.9 - so all I'm missing is the clubcard points, which aren't 10%!

Advertisement