Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOCIOLOGICAL THEORY III ESSAY - important!

Options
  • 10-11-2007 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Did anyone else here pick the title "is bourdieu's theory of class and consumption in his book Distinction reductionist?" for their essay??

I did, and i think i could have answered it comepletely wrong! Can anyone tell me if the theory was reductionist or not, and if it was, why?

what did you talk about it in? (tastes,etc?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Nah i did the other one, about reflexive sociology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

i wish i had of picked that one now... would have been more straight forward i think :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I did the essay title 'Is Bourdieu's theory of class and consumption in his book Distinction reductionist?' I argued that his theory was not reductionist using the concepts of habitus, field, and capital. These concepts comprise Bourdieu's theory of class and consumption so I applied the concepts to the theory. I compared the theory to other 'class' theories such as Marx and Waquant's 'market theory'. Class and consumption were intertwined with tastes so that was relatively straightforward.

But I wouldn't worry about whether you answered the question 'wrong' or not because it was a subjective question. Indeed Sociology is quite subjective itself. You just have to show why you believe it's reductionist or not with sources of course.

Advertisement