Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about upgrading my computer

Options
  • 10-11-2007 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I was looking at my friends computer tonight and he spent 1200euro on building his computer. I was thinking of just upgrading mine and spending about 500-800 euro. I have built a computer before but I am a bit rusty on it now as it was about 4 years ago. Here are some of the basic specs for my computer at the moment.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ 2.19GHz
    Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
    Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)
    COM Ports: COM3
    LPT Ports: LPT1
    Hard Disks: C: 229.5GB | D: 3.4GB
    USB Controllers: 3 host controllers.
    Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
    BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 041105 HPCPC 42302e31
    Motherboard: MSI AHI2

Can anybody help me by advising me what I should replace and upgrade or would I be better off just starting from scratch and building a new computer?:confused:

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Well , to beef that up , your looking at a new motherboard , processor and ram ,
    A new graphics card ,

Depending on how much hard drive space you need that drive may well be big enough ,

So it would look like the drives and case would be all youd be keeping , you'll want a new power supply as well for the latest graphics cards , so really its only the case your keeping ....

Best start from scratch Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ITS a lot simpler to sell your pc as is, just buy a new pc from dell ,cos you need new graphics card,cpu, mobo, ddr2 memory ,get at least a dual core 3400.IF you are on a budget get a barebones pc,you cud put ,your hd,memory,cd,dvd if you can find one that takes DDR 1 memory.You could run the hardrive off a ide io card ,peats sells them.You,ll probably need at least a 400 watt psu,if your getting a new graphics card too.

Advertisement