Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's with all the nostalgia?

• 10-11-2007 4:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else find it disheartening that this forum seems to have more threads in relation to days of yore (the asylum thread for instance)?

Seems for such a progressive movement, dance music is sadly something regarded by many as being in the past.

Even people like Carl Cox are going around talking of 'back in the day' and 'acid house' as if they were sacred times.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Nostalgia aint what it used to be :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I agree and I dont agree, theres loads of rambling ravers here on this site, Francois being one of them ;)

(im messin Fran!)

Ya I agree bout that most people post in the asylum thread etc....

Whatever happened to forward-thinkin dance music people???

:rolleyes:

Does anyone like any new stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What do you mean the new stuff? Examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

border community....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

I have to agree on the Nostalgia point, although it is good to have a forum where people who used to be involved in some of the earlier clubs can share their collective experiences. I personally prefer to look forward than backward to be honest. I regularly went to Olympic, Sides and The Asylum (circa 1993), and I think there is a lot of romanticising about these days on this forum that suggests they were better than what we have now. I also often read a lot of similar points of view on IE dance from people who complain that electronic music produced these days is inferior to that created years ago. I completely disagree with both of these suggestions.

Firstly, in my view the "good old days" weren't really all that good. Most of the clubs were pretty dingy, badly (and corruptly) run, full of drugs (see previous), and while I grew up listening to what is considered "old skool" music (Olympic, Sides and Asylum music), neither the music nor the DJ's of that era was as good as many of the stories told (hence the reason most of them never got much work after these clubs closed, "old skool" nights notwithstanding). It is true that electronic music was more of an underground phenomenon during this time (and definitely even more so in the early 1990's during the original Sides club), you could dance all night if you wanted to (which was great), and drugs were freely available in clubs (and better, if you believe the people who took them) but in my view these are the only things that were better (and all of these reasons are not music related). If you look around Dublin now, and the amount of quality clubs, quality DJ's, nights, international DJ's, online communities, diverse choice of great music, things are much better now in every way than they were back then. I know the comparison is hardly fair given the social, cultural and economic advantages we have now compared to the early 1990's, and to be fair many of the clubs at the time were a product of that era, but I find it quite incredible that people think things were possibly better in those days (I can only assume these people do not go out these days). Also, I find the amount of "old skool" nights incredible, not that there is anything wrong with them per se, and if it makes the people who go to them happy fair enough, but I'd much rather celebrate what's good about Irish club culture in 2007 than anachronistically looking back to music and DJ's that were big in the early 1990's (incidentally, this is just my opinion).

Secondly, the assumption that the music produced these days is inferior to the old days is ludicrous. If anything, the music has continued to move on, and get better and better in my opinion. For me, some artists that exemplify this trend would be:

Amé
    Dixon
    Trentemoller
    Matthew Dear
    MAW
    Tortured Soul
    Ron Trent (his new stuff, not just "Altered States")
    Blaze
    Ricardo Villalobos
    Laurent Garnier (always innovative)
    Chymera (amazing Irish producer)
    John Daly (ditto)
    Henrik Schwartz
    Carl Craig
    Jimpster
    Mr. V
    Francois K
    Underground Resistance
    Larry Heard
    Octave one
    Moodymann
    Dennis Ferrer
    Jerome Sydenham
    LCD Soundsystem

and many, many more...

I feel with such an abundance of amazing music, the suggestion that electronic music isn't as good as it used to be is nonsense, if anything its infinitely better now than at any time in the past.

So, in conclusion, I don't think there is anything wrong with being nostalgic if you don't go out anymore, or are absolutely determined to live in the past. But I couldn't agree that things ain't as good as they used to be, as someone who came up through the "glory" days there is no comparison, the electronic music scene is much better, stronger, organised, and inclusive than it ever was in the past, and I personally think its never been better (or more exciting) than it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

jtsuited wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else find it disheartening that this forum seems to have more threads in relation to days of yore (the asylum thread for instance)?

Seems for such a progressive movement, dance music is sadly something regarded by many as being in the past.

Even people like Carl Cox are going around talking of 'back in the day' and 'acid house' as if they were sacred times.:(

But they were sacred times, if you were there you would know that full well.

I've been there since the very beginning myself and old skool will always be my no 1, no point in mentioning drugs these days as they are rubbish (especially the coke,worst coke in the world in this city,FACT) i don't really bother with them much, after countless years taking them every weekend there is only so much the brain and body can take.

ANYWAY im still into the scene thesedays, im not one of these old skoolers who constantly talks about the good old days (although i do mention it a bit it's hard not to when you raved in those days)im still very much into todays dance music mostly funky house and garage but i also like some progressive and techno along with hardcore breaks and some drum & bass,if it sounds good ill dig it, im a big fan of dj's and producers like http://www.swedishhousemafia.com/
    and a lot more besides.

I play a mixture of funky and jacking house and of course old skool which as i said is my first love.

I'm all for discussion on dance music from any era.:cool:

Secondly, the assumption that the music produced these days is inferior to the old days is ludicrous. If anything, the music has continued to move on, and get better and better in my opinion. For me, some artists that exemplify this trend would be:

i seriously cannot believe what im reading here, for someone who claims to be from the old skool that is utter madness, the best ever tunage was made between 1988-1994,im still very much into todays dance music but what you have said here is absolutely not true whatsoever.

You said the good old days weren't that good, maybe not for you my friend but you must be the first ever person ive come across of all time who raved back in the day and said that as every single person ive ever met has said the complete opposite.

Anyway don't wanna get into an argument just putting my point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

If you look around Dublin now, and the amount of quality clubs, quality DJ's, nights, international DJ's, online communities, diverse choice of great music, things are much better now in every way than they were back then. .

Eh? :confused:

Dublin clubs are cheesetastic compared to abroad. Yes, Dublin attracts big name DJs. So does London, Paris, Amsterdam, and pretty much any city of Belfasts size or bigger in the whole of Europe. You wont have 10% of the craic in Spirit on a 20 euro in night compared to the same door charge in, for example, Glasgow (the main difference being belting tunage, half naked female clientele and at around 3.30 Euro beer cheaper than in most Dublin locals, never mind nightclubs). Oh yeah, and bouncers who will have a chat with you in the queue rather than barking instructions like they are seeing off a trainload to Auschwitz. Who ask "ye irish lads?" rather than an accusatory "where are ya comin from tonight lads". There are a few decent spots, but it isnt abroad. Until last Halloween night (fancy dress in Sin, animal night :D Though the tunes were mostly hiphop clubangers, which im into but it might be to everyones taste here) the last absoloute stormer I remember in a Dublin club must have been way back in April, the rest were fairly average to poor. Ive yet to get to the Vaults on their trance night though (thought it was a Friday and went with a mate, it was hip hop night, I had the craic but he isnt huge into it bar a bit of Eminem and Pac, so we werent exactly takin over the dancefloor). Some place on Georges St called Wax ive heard things about? Been meanin to check out some of these old skool nights and old club reunion dos.

Spirit is Spirit, and Tripod was sh1te the twice ive been in, the volume wasnt near loud enough for a start. Not to mention the rude bitch behind the bar near the main dancefloor. Its a shame, i had a few good ones in the Red Box pre renovation.

As for the nostalgia, as you say, it mostly seems to be from 1992-96 for alot of posters here. This is in the time when many of them were aged 15/16 to 21, id reckon for most people in their 30s theyd pick their best year as somewhere around this time period. Hey, if you asked me the best summer of my life, it was when I left school, 2004, drinkin like no tomorrow 4 nights a week, first gigs, first real season of hitting the clubs every weekend, managing to get served in more local pubs (wasnt 18 til Autumn), first (last and greatest ever :D ) house party, first time at a dance event seeing the likes of Faithless, Darren Emerson, Felix, and The Madchester Experience and their DJ partying like its 1989 (and non coincidentally with a line up like that the first time I tried, well, ahem ;):p ) Hadnt even intended to, jaysus though what an afternoon) Its partly the music and partly the demographic of Grandad Rave here :D But i do personally feel id have rathered to have been born around the 1977 mark, the music (not only dance, it was the hiphop golden age and you had the likes of Oasis and Blur blowing up at this time) and, if the asylum thread is to be believed, the atmosphere was just better.

And besides that i might have had the foresight to buy a house in 99 before they got out of reach of the working man :(

jonny68 wrote: »
    i seriously cannot believe what im reading here, for someone who claims to be from the old skool that is utter madness, the best ever tunage was made between 1988-1994 wit,im still very much into todays dance music but what you have said here is absolutely not true whatsoever.

How can there be such a thing as "true" or "false" when it comes to music? I have given my opinion, which is not fact, but having said that neither is what you've said either. I don't just "claim" to be of the old skool, I really did go the clubs I mentioned, and no, I don't think they have a patch on what we have now (again my opinion). My point is that they are romanticised as something they weren't, for me the "old skool" clubs were a product of a particular period in electronic music, for some people they will always be the best days, all I'm doing is offering an alternative perspective (and if you don't like that, well your entitled to). As for the "best ever tunage" made between 1988 and 1994, well again that's a matter of opinion. I think there were a lot of great records released in that period, such as:

Sounds of Blackness - The Pressure
    Mr. Fingers - Can U feel it
    Rhythim is Rhythim - Strings of Life
    Frankie Knuckles - Your Love
    Inner City - Good life

And a lot of the trance/progressive records played in the Asylum and Sides, and Piano house records played in the Olympic, were all made during that period too. I'm not saying I wasn't influenced or even inspired by the music DJ's who played those clubs, because at the time I was, but I don't necessarily think that 1988-1994 was the "best" period, every year there are great records created, I think designating one time period as "the best" really implies that everything that came afterwards was not as good, which I disagree with.

I accept that for many these were the glory days (including some of my friends incidentally), but I think there's a touch of the Vietnam Veteran syndrome here ("you don't know, you weren't there", if you know what I mean), where people who went to these clubs chastise those who didn't (or weren't old enough). My point is that I went (and regularly too), and I think the clubs I went to afterwards (Kitchen, Temple of Sound, POD, Funnell, Red Box, Kennedy's) were far superior to anything from the older days (or "old skool" days).

Now I know what I say is controversial, and no doubt offensive to some people here. But all I am doing is offering one alternative voice to the debate, there are 100+ pages of praise for the Asylum and the Old Skool movement, I've read them all and I've enjoyed reading them and listening to some of the sets, but I'm of the opinion that what followed the Asylum, Olympic, and Sides was much better. I'm not denying that in many ways these clubs influenced what followed (because some of them did, particularly Sides), but I've been going out for 14 years now, and I can honestly say for me the club scene is stronger, and better than the old days. Incidentally, this is just my own opinion, everyone else is entitled to their's of course, I'm just offering my voice to the debate about nostalgia, which I personally think is completely overrated (my two cents).

I'm not looking to start an argument either, I just thought I'd contribute a different view to the debate. As I said, there is plenty of admiration for the old skool period here, and I know my opinion is definitely the minority one (on this board, at least). It is an alternative view, no more no less, and I'm sure people will disagree.

shane86 wrote: »
    Eh? :confused:

Dublin clubs are cheesetastic compared to abroad. Yes, Dublin attracts big name DJs. So does London, Paris, Amsterdam, and pretty much any city of Belfasts size or bigger in the whole of Europe. You wont have 10% of the craic in Spirit on a 20 euro in night compared to the same door charge in, for example, Glasgow (the main difference being belting tunage, half naked female clientele and at around 3.30 Euro beer cheaper than in most Dublin locals, never mind nightclubs). Oh yeah, and bouncers who will have a chat with you in the queue rather than barking instructions like they are seeing off a trainload to Auschwitz. Who ask "ye irish lads?" rather than an accusatory "where are ya comin from tonight lads". There are a few decent spots, but it isnt abroad. Until last Halloween night (fancy dress in Sin, animal night :D Though the tunes were mostly hiphop clubangers, which im into but it might be to everyones taste here) the last absoloute stormer I remember in a Dublin club must have been way back in April, the rest were fairly average to poor. Ive yet to get to the Vaults on their trance night though (thought it was a Friday and went with a mate, it was hip hop night, I had the craic but he isnt huge into it bar a bit of Eminem and Pac, so we werent exactly takin over the dancefloor). Some place on Georges St called Wax ive heard things about? Been meanin to check out some of these old skool nights and old club reunion dos.

Spirit is Spirit, and Tripod was sh1te the twice ive been in, the volume wasnt near loud enough for a start. Not to mention the rude bitch behind the bar near the main dancefloor. Its a shame, i had a few good ones in the Red Box pre renovation.

As for the nostalgia, as you say, it mostly seems to be from 1992-96 for alot of posters here. This is in the time when many of them were aged 15/16 to 21, id reckon for most people in their 30s theyd pick their best year as somewhere around this time period. Hey, if you asked me the best summer of my life, it was when I left school, 2004, drinkin like no tomorrow 4 nights a week, first gigs, first real season of hitting the clubs every weekend, managing to get served in more local pubs (wasnt 18 til Autumn), first (last and greatest ever :D ) house party, first time at a dance event seeing the likes of Faithless, Darren Emerson and Felix (and non coincidentally with a line up like that the first time, well, ahem ;):p ). Its partly the music and partly the demographic of Grandad Rave here :D

I respect what your saying, and I would agree with most of what you've said. I hate Spirit, Tripod isn't really that good, and I'm not too fond of Traffic either. However, if you look at nights like Stereotonic, Pogo, Remedy, Electric City, Onetrackrecords nights in Kennedy's, D1's new night in Rogue, The Tivoli and others, there is usually something great to go to every week, and often with fantastic resident DJ's. My point is that the electronic music scene now is much more vibrant than it was in the 1990's. I know people will vehemently disagree with me, but as I said, I'm offering an alternative view, based on my own experience as an old skooler, for me all my best nights out happened after those clubs closed.

I must say though, I do have fond memories of the old skool. I went every week with friends (one of whom, sadly, is no longer alive), and I did enjoy myself at these nights. I enjoyed sets from lots of DJ's like Mark Kavanagh, Gerry, Mick Walsh, Pat Hyland, Ed Case, Pressure, Warren K, Dilly, and many others, and they always rocked the party. And I was inspired by the sets by all of them. I'll never forget the feeling of walking out into a sunny street after the Asylum after being in the dark for 8 hours! They were crazy and good times in many ways. I'm just of the opinion that a lot of the clubs I went to afterwards were for me much better.

• Advertisement

Tripod is the best of a bad bunch in Dublin, Spirit is brutal with zero atmospherte and it's a case of "spot the Irish person" there(ive nothing against eastern Europeans but Spirit is absolutely full of them)unfortunately with the exception of a few smaller club nights the club scene in Dublin is awful and if the truth be known has been for quite sometime now,maybe it's the fact that a lot of people would sooner stand around snorting what they think is coke (creatine/crushed E/Speed, rubbish) talking rubbish instead of actually getting on the floor and dancing and creating an atmosphere, i can count on one hand the amount of really good club nights ive had in Dublin this year,last one was audiojack @ Tripod a few months back.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i seriously cannot believe what im reading here, for someone who claims to be from the old skool that is utter madness, the best ever tunage was made between 1988-1994,

what?
    You see this was the popular belief i was trying to get at with this thread. Are you sure it's not just nostalgia blinding your judgement of the music?

I'm into all sorts of stuff, but i really can't get my head around why people are so obsessive about the music from this time. Ok Acid house was new and great but it seems people just have not moved with the times.

Tripod is the best of a bad bunch in Dublin, Spirit is brutal with zero atmospherte and it's a case of "spot the Irish person" there(ive nothing against eastern Europeans but Spirit is absolutely full of them)unfortunately with the exception of a few smaller club nights the club scene in Dublin is awful and if the truth be known has been for quite sometime now,maybe it's the fact that a lot of people would sooner stand around snorting what they think is coke (creatine/crushed E/Speed, rubbish) talking rubbish instead of actually getting on the floor and dancing and creating an atmosphere, i can count on one hand the amount of really good club nights ive had in Dublin this year,last one was audiojack @ Tripod a few months back.:confused:

Well Jonny, Laurent Garnier plays Tripod next month (December 14th), and I'd suggest that if you want to see atmosphere, created by one of the world's best DJ's, you should go along. I really don't agree that the atmosphere in Dublin isn't there, if your talking about Spirit, well that place never had any to begin with (I was there on the opening night for Louie Vega), it has always been terrible from day 1. But places like POD, Wax, Kennedy's, Rogue, and Ri Ra's for Downtownsounds nights often have great atmosphere's. I'm not saying you are wrong, it's just my experience is completely different to your's.

I'm into all sorts of stuff, but i really can't get my head around why people are so obsessive about the music from this time. Ok Acid house was new and great but it seems people just have not moved with the times.

I think your dead right, some of the music coming out nowadays is outta this world, I know a lot of my older mates who tell me bout the Asylum and Olympic etc as the best days of their lives and the tunes were better, there are no better or worse music types, just nostalgia plays a big part in it!!!

Back then it was all new, this festival generation (which only started with homelands 99) of the now are used to big djs/clubs/raves etc because the whole idea of clubbing has progressed since the old, dingy clubs with Pressure (insert olskool dj name here) playing in it....

For a while it hit a lull but its back, more underground and all the better for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Dublin clubs are cheesetastic compared to abroad.

If you only go to Spirit or Tripod then yes but theres a lot more out there than those two dumps.

Myself I prefer music from the 90s to about 2003. Things died for me when techno went and dnb didnt have any new tricks of interest.

Well Jonny, Laurent Garnier plays Tripod next month (December 14th), and I'd suggest that if you want to see atmosphere, created by one of the world's best DJ's, you should go along. I really don't agree that the atmosphere in Dublin isn't there, if your talking about Spirit, well that place never had any to begin with (I was there on the opening night for Louie Vega), it has always been terrible from day 1. But places like POD, Wax, Kennedy's, Rogue, and Ri Ra's for Downtownsounds nights often have great atmosphere's. I'm not saying you are wrong, it's just my experience is completely different to your's.

Last time i seen Laurent Garnier @ Electric Picnic 2006 he was rubbish and people were leaving the tent in their droves so i wont be in a hurry to go see him again unless he is playing a different set thesedays, i wouldn't mind Garnier was at one time my favourite DJ, and remember as Raindance say wall to wall star DJ's does not necessarily make a good party, ive had some of the best ever nites out at smaller underground Raves no superstar DJ's inviolved.

what?
    You see this was the popular belief i was trying to get at with this thread. Are you sure it's not just nostalgia blinding your judgement of the music?

It's not at all mate, im still very much into dance music thesedays, even ask a mate of mine who is a lot younger than me he along with many other younger lads believe that dance music from yesteryear is far far better, im not suggesting that dance music today isn't good as it is, but the whole scene in general has gone far too commercialised and overground, id much prefer to go to a warehouse Rave or private party than a club thesesays here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Are you 40 years old Jonny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

There's nowt wrong with nostalgia, besides, it is enjoyable to share (often very hazy) communal memories with like minded people. Sure some may prefer old skool, but there's nothing wrong with that, it was the music of our formative years-Personally I only occasionally go clubbing these days, I just don't have the time and inclination as 42 rapidly approaches! :D

It's not about moving with the times either, I buy plenty of music ( both electronic and non electronic), it's just that most of the stuff I loved, especially techno seems a bit in stasis now, same with DnB, that's not to say I don't like them, it's just it doesn't particularly EXCITE me anymore, hey it's not the end of the world though!

I always preferred the local DJ's and smaller clubs anyway, not to mention warehouse and beach raves, which I feel are true to the spirit of what I got into dance in the first place-an escape from the sh1thole that was late 80's/early 90's ireland-no jobs, all my mates feckin' off to the UK or US. I was lucky I could run a club and DJ.

Though I have to say that the scene is in much better health that it has been in a long time, with a lot of stuff to choose from, though I have to agree that Spirit has all the atmosphere of a siberian morgue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I got into dance/rave/house/electronic music around 92, with The Prodigy and Sound Crowd being big influences at the start. We were a bit young to frequent the Asylum, but did go to a lot of nights in the Ormonde, The System, Tivoli, SFX, + the Point.

I think that the atmosphere in those places was very very different than it is now, but in reality - from what I remember 80 - 90% of the people there were out of their bins. The amount of obvious drug dealing I saw you wouldn't get away with now. It was a new scene then, the Garda weren't up to speed (pardon the pun).

People went to these places to take drugs + dance. Some of the places didn't even have a bar, all you could buy was water!

When was the last time you saw a room full of people at a nightclub with their tops off? Was a long time ago for me...

In terms of the music, I think it's changed. A lot of the music back then was produced on analogue type equipment - analogue synths, samplers and the like. It's moved on, everything is done on a PC. I honestly think some of the music has suffered from this.

That said, I'm still a huge fan of the music as it is today. Not the commercial sh*te that 'dance' music has become, but there is still a whole load of quality music coming out. House / tech house / minimal would be my bag these days, where as before it would have come under the 'progressive' house banner. I'm not into most of the progressive house lately, it's too commercial and sticks to a certain format of what a tune is supposed to be.

There's a rant in this tune which kind of sums it up:

Peace Division - Club Therapy

• Advertisement

Last time i seen Laurent Garnier @ Electric Picnic 2006 he was rubbish and people were leaving the tent in their droves so i wont be in a hurry to go see him again unless he is playing a different set thesedays, i wouldn't mind Garnier was at one time my favourite DJ, and remember as Raindance say wall to wall star DJ's does not necessarily make a good party, ive had some of the best ever nites out at smaller underground Raves no superstar DJ's inviolved.

Didnt he play Live that year? He's always ****e as a live act "doin the sax thing" he is a far better dj than when he plays live, as demonstrated (again) to me at Coxys closing night @ space, I walked out 10mins after Cox came on, he was playin the most generic Techno ive ever heard!

I listen to all manner of mad music all my life, rock, punk, techno, dnb, house, chilled, pop music, 80s music you name it, I suppose thats why I like 80s music so much, Nostalgia of a time when I was a kid hearin these songs on the radio growing up!

Local djs always do have a tendancy to impress more, as they have a thirst to play out, and properly! Clubbing is in a far better state with all the small nights now that run around towns up n down the country, who needs Big Djs. Spirit (worst venue ive prob played, thrice!) Tripod, Time et al when u can go to some place like the cavern that holds a small crowd and have a great lil session wit local lads playin their hearts out to a small intimate crowd, well maybe thats just me but a lot of people like big clubs, big djs, promotional **** but thats not what its all about either, each to their own I suppose.....

I'd agree with many of the points raised about local DJ's and smaller clubs. But I think in the past 3-5 years if you look around Dublin and the people who are doing really innovative things, most of them do run smaller nights, and have local resident DJ's, so I think if anything the scene has got a bit more fragmented (as all electronic music did, gone be with the days of large raves in the Mansion House that catered for everyone!), and definitely more specialised (in terms of genre), but I do think that the scene is as vibrant now as it ever was. I also think Francois's point about the unemployment Irish people suffered in the early 1990's is a very valid one, and the reason I said that a lot of the "old skool" clubs were a product of that time. People didn't have that much to look forward to in terms of employment, and as a result really went for broke at the weekend. The Asylum was the maddest and most hedonistic club I've ever been in, and will ever be in (I can say that with the utmost confidence!). I saw all sorts, open selling of pills, people shooting up, people being shot, if anyone has ever seen the movie "New Jack City" that pretty much summed up The Asylum for me. But these days people have more hope, better prospects, are more secure, and therefore don't feel the need for the sedative of getting totally ****ed up at the weekend (although I'm sure many still do!). As I said, we live in different social and economic times compared to the 1990's, and those times were very much a by-product of those particular factors.

Having said that, I did move in the style of music I liked. In the early 1990's, I really liked the progressive house and trance of the Asylum and Sides, labels like Rising High, Guerilla, MFS, Eye Q, Blunted, Logic and Harthouse. I still listen to some of them from time to time (to reminisce, hey even I'm guilty!), and I do feel that style of music went down a direction that I found really boring, some of those older trance records have a much warmer and instant feel compared to the progressive house of today, in my opinion of course. Having said that, I heard a recent Sasha and Digweed set that I thought was pretty good. But I do listen to tracks like "age of love", "loops of infinity", "follow me" or "fever called love" and think "they don't really make them like that anymore!", and I always felt that sort of hard trance really died in Dublin when the Asylum closed in 1994 (would anyone agree?). It is true there was never really a place like it, and there's never been a place like it since, it was totally unique, hence the reason people still lament and discuss it (which is a good thing). I'm not so sure that it was ever the best club, or even that that period was the best time in Irish clubland - for me the journey gets more exciting with each passing year (I turned 30 this year!).

I think dance music needs to rid itself of this commercialism and get back to it's roots which are warehouses and the great outdoors,these are proper nights out where there is no prententious.

I think dance music needs to rid itself of this commercialism and get back to it's roots which are warehouses and the great outdoors,these are proper nights out where there is no prententious.

or people unable to use the word pretentiousness! Or Pretension:D

They are the English roots of electronic music. In Chicago, the birth place of house music, the history is rather different. I'm not denying there are some pretentious places out there, but I think you can avoid them if you really want to.

I think its done this already, with the demise of all the "big name" clubbing brands bout 3 yrs ago a la MOS, Cream, Crasher etc all its gonna do is put the fun back into clubbing, your right bout the more outdoor/warehouse thing but with the Archaic licensing laws in this silly country, that wont happen for a loooooooooong time!

Imagine being able to get a license to put on a rave in a warehouse, can u imagine the price of that over here?

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think its done this already, with the demise of all the "big name" clubbing brands bout 3 yrs ago a la MOS, Cream, Crasher etc all its gonna do is put the fun back into clubbing, your right bout the more outdoor/warehouse thing but with the Archaic licensing laws in this silly country, that wont happen for a loooooooooong time!

Imagine being able to get a license to put on a rave in a warehouse, can u imagine the price of that over here?

First of all, mos, cream and gatecrasher could hardly have attracted pretentiousness. More scumbag than anything.

Secondly, the whole point of warehouse raves was them not being licensed.

Fieldog wrote: »

who said anything about having a licence for a Rave mate?that's what it was all a bout years ago going to illegal raves in warehouses/fields,etc;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sorry for buttin in ....

Enjoying reading your posts aidan kelly ,are you the same person who has Dj'd abroad in the states etc ?

I've always kept it firm in my mind that as people get older ,they don't adopt to new music ,regardless of what it is.
    As will happen to me at some stage in my life. I'm not saying listening to old music is this ,but I always thought the core of dance music was hearing it for the first time.

• Advertisement

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Sorry for buttin in ....

Enjoying reading your posts aidan kelly ,are you the same person who has Dj'd abroad in the states etc ?

I've always kept it firm in my mind that as people get older ,they don't adopt to new music ,regardless of what it is.
    As will happen to me at some stage in my life. I'm not saying listening to old music is this ,but I always thought the core of dance music was hearing it for the first time.

Hi Brian,

No I'm a different Aidan. I do agree that as some people grow older, they don't tend to be as open to new music. I'd just be of the view that the early Asylum music was the first club music I ever heard, my point is that the music and DJ's I heard later were much better. I suppose its a matter of what you like to listen to, but I think there's an over-emphasis on the "old skool", and a romanticising of the "good old days".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I had a lot of records from back then myself ,I was probably too young for the asylum ,I just didn't like it .
    Closest to it was probably the purple onion for me ,where aidan kelly and chris boshell use to play. Thats the kind of atmosphere I liked more ,people use to be drinking wine and eating dinner at 3am:D

who said anything about having a licence for a Rave mate?that's what it was all a bout years ago going to illegal raves in warehouses/fields,etc;)

Your missing my point Jonny, nowadays, legally, in the UK, theres loads of warehouse raves goin on, sure look at Manchester at the mo, what im sayin is why cant these type-affairs be done over here? Coz of the government, and licensing laws are awful over here.....

http://www.thewarehouseproject.com/lineups/line-ups.html

I know what your talking bout Jonny with raves n all, ive played a fair few in my time to know what theyre about :)

I

Advertisement