Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen worktops

Options
  • 10-11-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I want to change the 3 kitchen worktops in my house. Does anyone know what sizes they come in? There are 2 worktops that are against the wall on one side and are 600mm wide and on teh outside are rounded at the edge. The 3rd worktop is rounded on both sides as its used as a breakfast bar. Its also 600mm wide but I'd like to get a wider one by 100mm if possible.

Is this size available and do they come already rounded or is this a special. The current worktops came with the house originally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I want to change the 3 kitchen worktops in my house. Does anyone know what sizes they come in? There are 2 worktops that are against the wall on one side and are 600mm wide and on teh outside are rounded at the edge. The 3rd worktop is rounded on both sides as its used as a breakfast bar. Its also 600mm wide but I'd like to get a wider one by 100mm if possible.

Is this size available and do they come already rounded or is this a special. The current worktops came with the house originally.

hi,
    far as i know they only come in 600 and 900mm in width.the rounded edge is normal.
    they also come 40mm in depth (i find much nicer than the 30mm)
    hope this helps you a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The ones I have are 30mm thick and I need to keep with this thickness due to the tiles on the splashback that were put up afterwards.

I might be able to use the thicker one for the breakfast bar as there are no tiles there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    The ones I have are 30mm thick and I need to keep with this thickness due to the tiles on the splashback that were put up afterwards.

I might be able to use the thicker one for the breakfast bar as there are no tiles there

you would be better using 30mm for the b.bar to keep it all uniform.
    are you getting somebody to do this for you? if not you will need a hand from a friend as there quiet heavy to handle on your own.

game4it70 wrote: »
    you would be better using 30mm for the b.bar to keep it all uniform.
    are you getting somebody to do this for you? if not you will need a hand from a friend as there quiet heavy to handle on your own.

I'll be doing it on my own, with help from someone...I can use the existing ones as templates so marking them out for size/shape should not be a problem.

Do Kitchen suppliers sell worktops on their own? Just wondering if I can't get anything off the shelf 700mm wide, I wonder could they get a custom one?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

tops come 600 670 and 900 wide but you could cut down the 900 one to 700 and edge the back edge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

They do come in a good variety of sizes from different manufacturers.... 600, 650, 900 and 1200, some have one rounded edge, some have two rounded edges... thicknesses may be 30, 38 or 40mm.

Noyeks or the Panelling Center are probably your best bet. Possibly B&Q.... Noyeks may sell half lengths in matt finishes, full length only in gloss finishes.

A company called Top Shape do them in several shapes and sizes with all 4 edges rounded and laminated top and bottom, available from the Panelling Center I think...

They do come in a good variety of sizes from different manufacturers.... 600, 650, 900 and 1200, some have one rounded edge, some have two rounded edges... thicknesses may be 30, 38 or 40mm.

Noyeks or the Panelling Center are probably your best bet. Possibly B&Q.... Noyeks may sell half lengths in matt finishes, full length only in gloss finishes.

A company called Top Shape do them in several shapes and sizes with all 4 edges rounded and laminated top and bottom, available from the Panelling Center I think...

Thanks Joe, great info there

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

hi Lex

try http://www.in-house.ie/

I bought a top from them.

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 16 etak

Hi

I'm in the Kildare area also and got kitchen worktops 18 months ago from Brooks Thomas outside Naas. (Tougher Business Park). I found Brooks Thomas and Chadwicks better value than B&Q and the other large diy centres. Also, there is better advice available from staff.

etak

garyh3 wrote: »
    hi Lex

try http://www.in-house.ie/

I bought a top from them.

regards

Garyh3
    Had a look at their site already.....am I out of the game that long or are worktops really that expensive?
    etak wrote: »
    Hi

I'm in the Kildare area also and got kitchen worktops 18 months ago from Brooks Thomas outside Naas. (Tougher Business Park). I found Brooks Thomas and Chadwicks better value than B&Q and the other large diy centres. Also, there is better advice available from staff.

etak

Just up the road from Brooks in Naas here....will have a look during the week and compare them to the B&Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

The only good piece of advice i can give you is when cutting them to lenght make sure you use at least 4 supports under them, so when it is cut you will have 2 supports under each half. They are very heavy ! I found out the hard way using only 2 supports and a brother, last inch broke rather than cut, of course on the side i was using ! But 20 min with a dremel and some wood glue and hard to notice now.

Advertisement