Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters how much work is involved

Options
  • 10-11-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a 1st class BSc in IT this year doing it PT.

I was thinking about doing a MSc in some IT course next year and wondering how much work is involved.

I understand that this and that but would what is usually the structure i.e. 5,000 words x 3 for each subject a year etc.

Where is good to do one.

I would like to do it at my own pace.

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Trampas wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing a MSc in some IT course next year and wondering how much work is involved.

It's all relative really, isn't it? If it comes easy to you, then you won't have to put in much work. If you find it hard, then it will take more work.
    I understand that this and that but would what is usually the structure i.e. 5,000 words x 3 for each subject a year etc.

No idea what you are on about here.
    Where is good to do one.

Again, very subjective. I did mine in Griffith College and I would highly recommend it. It's three taught modules, plus a project which is equivalent to two modules (marks wise).

It is a lot of work, but it can be rewarding in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I would like to do it at my own pace.
    Congrats on the getting first.

I did the 2 year part-time MSc in IT Management in TCD.

Year 1 was 2 X 3 hour lectures a week plus a lot of assignments.

Year 2 was about 3 months of lectures then you do your thesis (20,000 words).

Also, remember that Masters Degrees aren't graded like an undergrad degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

I have the MSc in Software Design from NUI Galway. It was full time.

Yr 1: Taught - Lectures, Assignments etc
    Yr 2: Research - Write a Thesis...

I didnt find it too overwhelming (and I got a First) but I know people who struggled. I suppose it was hard from the motivation aspect of the course (as you are pretty much left to your own devices) but I managed to get through.

Advertisement